Balancing

CheshireJelly

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey... I'm somewhat new to RPG Maker Vx Ace and I was wondering if someone could help me... You see I'd like the attacks and enemies and things like to blance out... I've tried and I only seem to make the enimies too difficult to kill or the player is over powered... I want a system like that in the Paper Mario series... Where the player starts with about 10 health and does about 3-5 damage but when equiping weapons doesnt make their attacks raise up to 30... For example I made a character named "Jared" and he starts as level one with about 3 attack... But he is also equiped with a set of claws that I want to make only add about 4 more attack but it sends his attack up to 30-40 and it makes the battles way too easy and he overpowers the other characters in the party... Could anyone please help me?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
everything in the game can be rebalanced to almost any number levels, but the defaults are based around higher numbers, and you need to change them.

Default damage formula is 4*a.atk - 2*b.def, that means that the damage is four times the attack value of the attacker minus two times the defense value of the attacked.

values of 3 attack for the user and +4 attack from the weapon results in an attack value of 7, which will result in a base damage (before variance and defense) of about 28.

If you get a damage of 30-40, then most probably your weapon adds more than +4 attack.

But if you want the actor to start with a damage range of 3-5 points, you either need to change the damage formula, or reduce the attack value to 1 or 2 depending on what defense the first enemies have.

Vis_Mage

Novice Magician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As an avid Paper Mario player, I understand the typical damage range you are looking to achieve.

To best fit the damage range, try setting the attack formula from 

4*a.atk - 2*b.def

to 

a.atk - b.def

This will make the formula literally your attack minus the enemy's defense, making it far more manageable at lower numbers! Remember that you will have to set this in all attacking skills, including the default attack skill. Also be sure to set the magical equivalent of this formula for any magic skills used!

Lastly, be sure to change the growth parameters in the class tab to keep your stats lowered. From there you could either have your character get small level up skill boosts, or go hardcore Paper Mario style, and have the character gain no points in stats upon level up, and instead use a skill point system, in which you could get a single skill point per level up, and spend it on a particular stat group (such as an attack group that would raise your attack and special attack by one point each). If your interested in such a script, I could point you towards an easy to use one that could do just that, just shoot me a PM if your interested!

CheshireJelly

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks a lot! I started doing that with the attacks and it's lowering them to what I wanted! Thanks both of you~ :3

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Did I add too many?? Is there such a thing?

Rabbit's Shop I've been reworking. Still some dated graphics but 99% satisfied I think.:kaophew:
Traps, detecting traps, and disarming traps including treasure traps have now been implemented into my Might and Magic-inspired project. If you don't want to get hurt, you better have a character who focuses on the perception skill, and you better have a character who focuses on the disarm skill!

Done tinkering a project idea for MZ, time to make a little document and wait for the release... :kaoswt:
Tileset Center... anybody wonder what that is in Visustella's latest video?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawnfox06