Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I can't get my head around scripting at all. Or as my friend calls it computer programming. Because that doesn't sound less daunting at all. What I'm trying to do is pretty simple. I'd like a ? mark to appear over a townsperson head if they have a quest. And then vanish when it's completed. But I keep getting errors when I DL these scripts before I even get to use them. I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but those don't seem to work for me. So if anyone wishes to give me a very detailed explanation on how to do this I will be very grateful. Use small words if you have to. Thanks.

FuryDr00d

Druid of the Alliance!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I'm assuming you know about the balloon heads in the event editor. Under the 2nd tab. You could put that for the first line of the event, then do your quest stuff. (Intro to quest, it's objectives) and then if they accept, have a variable kept track of,if your killing something, or if you acquire an item, basically, use a conditional branch. And if that Branch is satisified, have a switch go to a next page, same graphic, and the text satisfying your Outro for the quest, the balloon won't be on that page, so therefore the balloon won't show up. I hope this helped you! If you need anything, message me!

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Actually I want the player to see the ? before they talk to the NPC and for it to stay there until the task is done. So that way they know to talk to them and don't have to keep talking to everyone in town every time something happens. Some NPC will have different quests sometime later or a follow-up quest afterwards. The quests themselves work like visual novels in a way. Where you gotta choose the right guy for the job. Every 4 quests will lead up to a battle. 

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Actually I want the player to see the ? before they talk to the NPC and for it to stay there until the task is done.
You effectively don't need a script for this, if you're willing to do some picture work.

Make two sprites for each of those NPC-Events, one regular and one with the question mark above the head.

Then change the sprites depending on the current quest status - which will only change when the player interacts with an event anyway.

It's a bit more work to create the special sprites, but that doesn't even need artistic ability, just knowing how to move and copy parts of pictures.

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Last time I tried making my own edited sprite I managed to actually delete gate 1 and replaced it with my own screwed up version by accident. That was last night and I still can't fix it.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Never edit the original RTP files - use the resource manager to export anything you want to edit, and then edit the exported copy.

You can download and re-install the RTP from the link top right on the forum, that will repair any changed RTP-file.

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I did export it and edited the exported copy but then because I wasn't thinking saved it under gate1 and erased the original copy. So which link do I find the RTP? I'm not seeing it.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Top line, right side (download) and then "Run Time Packages" (which is what RTP is short for)

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Wouldn't something simple like this work instead of editing, etc?

balloon.png

It works for me.

It is just a parallel process that shows a balloon over the event when a switch is on.

Then go to the second page when the quest is over, switch is off. (no balloon)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
O.K I found the RTP. The RTP won't erase my game will it?

I tried the Parallel process thing. It doesn't work. The balloon shows up for a second and then it's gone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The end is near. The end is near. The MV era will be passed and people will look the forum about new RPG maker all days. ;_;[Election day all over again] Let accept that you will probably not what you want completely.
C&C Remastered comes out tomorrow! Hyped! Already have it preinstalled on Steam.
Its ironic, how often a person can have something smart to say, when their arrogance is originating from an internal vacuum where emotional intelligence belongs.
Parallax mapping is time consuming...
Let's purchase th... WAIT! Just in time ehehehe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tsuna976