Bank Plugin [Version 2.0.2]

Discussion in 'JS Plugins In Development' started by Geowil, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Geowil

Geowil Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Back again for my second RMXP script conversion plugin. This time it is a conversion/re-imagining of SephirothSpawn's Bank script. This one is a bit more complicated to use due to some weirdness but I am working on fixing that. Anyway, on to the plugin information:

Demo Available: Yes, Geowil_BankDemo.zip
    Project Available: Yes, Geowil_BankProject.zip
    GitHub Project Page: https://github.com/Geowil/Geowil_Bank
    Version: 2.0.2

Conflicts: Maybe, see Conflicts section

Terms of Use: Free non-commercially or commercially; just give credit

bankDemo1.png

Installation Instructions

The files you will need are available at the github repository or in either the demo or the project.

There is a custom image required, DepoButtonSet.png, for some buttons used in the deposit and withdraw menus. You will need to create a 'bank' folder in your img folder and place it there and then import the image into your project's resource manager if it is not automatically added.

Finally place the plugin js file into your plugins folder.

That's it, you're done!

How does it work
    It is very simple to use. First you may want to modify some of the plugin settings to set things like if bonds are enabled and the denomination of time to use (Ie. hours, minutes, days). Next, if you do not enable bonds, all you have to do is put plugin commands into events where you want to access the bank(s) from. You can use the same bank across your entire game or have each major location have its own.

The plugin commands to open the bank are as follows:

Code:
    BankOpen <Params>

The indicated the following:
    Code:
    ID:# - Required - Sets the bank id for a new bank or tells the plugin which existing bank to open
    IR:# - Optional - Sets the interest rate at the bank. Use this on an existing bank to change the interest rate of that bank
    TD:<Seconds,Minutes,Hours,Days> - Optional - Sets the time denomination at which interest compounds. Use this on an existing bank to change the time denomination at that bank
    MD:# - Optional - Sets the minimum deposit amount at the bank. Use on an existing bank to change the minimum deposit amount at that bank.

Any params with 'Optional', when not used, will default to whatever you have set in your plugin parameters. The ID: parameter is always required. Some examples:

BankOpen ID:0
    BankOpen ID:0 IR:10
    BankOpen ID:0 TD:Seconds MD:1000
    BankOpen ID:0 IR:15 TD:Minutes MD:15000

Example 1: Opens a bank with plugin paramater defaults for all parameters
    Example 2: Opens a bank with a 10% interest rate and everything else defaults
    Example 3: Opens a bank with a time denomination of Seconds and a minimum deposit of 1000. Interest rate will be the plugin default
    Example 4: Opens a bank with an interest rate of 15%, a time denomination

Current Features Overview

Features in V2.0.1
    -Deposit Gold: Players are able to deposit gold into the bank. If an interest rate is set then over the specified amount of time units (example hours) that interest rate will be comounded onto the deposited gold. As an example a deposit of 100 gold at a hand with an hourly interest rate of 10% would generate 10 extra gold over 1 hour. If the player returned to that bank after an hour, they will find 110 gold available for withdrawal.

-Withdraw Gold: Players can withdraw any gold they have stored at a bank.

-Bonds: Bonds are another way to allow a player to grow their gold through this plugin. The player buys a bond and then after a set amount of time the bond matures and can be sold for a greater value. The system can be turned on or off from the plugin settings or through a plugin command.

-Minimum Deposits: You can now set a minimum deposit amount that the player must meet to deposit any gold.

Parameters

There are a total of six plugin parameters to customize the plugin with. I will list them and their functions.

- Invalid Gold Color: Changes the text color on the gold counter when the user attempts to withdraw or deposit more gold that is available.

- Invalid Bond Color: Changes the text color in the Sell Bond selection window for bonds which have not yet matured.

- Font Size: Changes the font size used in the plugin.

- Gold Counter Button 1 Value: Sets the value for the single arrow up/down buttons in the gold counter window when depositing or withdrawing gold as well as the value of the left/right keyboard arrow keys.

- Gold Counter Button 2 Value: Sets the value for the double arrow up/down buttons in the gold counter window when depositing or withdrawing gold as well as the value of the up/down keyboard arrow keys.

- Add Bond Overwrites: Determines if, when adding a bond to a bank, the add bond plugin command will overwrite an existing bond. Some important notes on this in the AddBond plugin command section.

- Bond System Active: Sets the default state of the bond system for each bank when they are created. Use BondSystemEnabled plugin command to enable/disable on a per-bank basis.

- Time Denomination: Sets the default time unit setting for all banks. Use the ChangeTimeUnit plugin command to alter this setting on a per-bank basis.

- Default Interest: Sets the default interest rate for new banks. When you create a bank without the IR parameter, this value will be used.

- Minimum Depo: Sets the default minimum deposit amount for new banks. When you create a bank without the MD parameter, this value will be used.

Plugin Commands

I have already gone over a few of these but I will include them again here.

Opening Banks
    The very first command you should know about is used to open a bank. This will also create the bank if it does not already exist or update certain values if the bank does exist and they are different.

Code:
    BankOpen <Params>

The indicated the following:
    Code:
    ID:# - Required - Sets the bank id for a new bank or tells the plugin which existing bank to open
    IR:# - Optional - Sets the interest rate at the bank. Use this on an existing bank to change the interest rate of that bank
    TD:<Seconds,Minutes,Hours,Days> - Optional - Sets the time denomination at which interest compounds. Use this on an existing bank to change the time denomination at that bank
    MD:# - Optional - Sets the minimum deposit amount at the bank. Use on an existing bank to change the minimum deposit amount at that bank.

Any params with 'Optional', when not used, will default to whatever you have set in your plugin parameters. The ID: parameter is always required. Some examples:

BankOpen ID:0
    BankOpen ID:0 IR:10
    BankOpen ID:0 TD:Seconds MD:1000
    BankOpen ID:0 IR:15 TD:Minutes MD:15000

Example 1: Opens a bank with plugin paramater defaults for all parameters
    Example 2: Opens a bank with a 10% interest rate and everything else defaults
    Example 3: Opens a bank with a time denomination of Seconds and a minimum deposit of 1000. Interest rate will be the plugin default
    Example 4: Opens a bank with an interest rate of 15%, a time denomination

Adding/Updating Bonds
    The next plugin command allows you to create a new bond at the specifid bank:

Code:
    Bank <BankID> AddBond <BondInfoID> <Bond Name> <Bond Cost> <Bond Matured Value> <Bond Mature Time> <Bond Help Text>

Here is a breakdown of what the options are used for:

<BankID> - ID for the bank the bond should be added to.
    <BondInfoID> - ID for the bond info record at that bank, this ID can be used to later update this specific record.
    <Bond Name> - The name for the bond that will show up in the 'Buy Bond' selection list.
    <Bond Cost> - How much it will cost the player to buy the bond.
    <Bond Matured Value> - How much the player will be able to sell the bond for once it has fully matured.
    <Bond Mature Time> - The amount of time it will take for the bond to fully mature.
    <Bond Help Text> - Sets the help text that will be displayed for the bond in the 'Buy Bond' window.

Code:
    Example: Bank 0 AddBond 0 Baisc Bond 10 1000 4000 10 This bond will mature after 10 hours.\nGains 20% interest at maturation.

The above example create a new bond information record for bank 0 with the specified values. If you want to update an existing bond at a bank use the below plugin command:

Code:
    Bank <BankID> UpdateBond <BondInfoID> <Bond Name> <Bond Cost> <Bond Matured Value> <Bond Mature Time> <Bond Help Text>

Example: Bank 0 UpdateBond 0 Baisc Bond 10 2000 8000 10 This bond will mature after 10 hours.\nGains 20% interest at maturation.

The above example modified the bond information record we created with the AddBond example at bank 0.

Changing the Time Denomination
    The next plugin command allows you to modify the time denomination at a specified bank:

Code:
    Bank <BankID> ChangeTimeUnit <TimeUnit>

Example: Bank 0 ChangeTimeUnit Days

Valid input for the <TimeUnit> option are as follows: Seconds, Minutes, Hours, or Days

Toggle the Bond System
    The next plugin command allows you to turn the bond system on or off at the specified bank:

Code:
    Bank <BankID> BondSystemEnabled 0/1

Example: Bank 2 BondSystemEnabled 0

In the example we have disabled the bond system at bank 2.

Altering the Behavior of AddBond
    This plugin command allows you to change how AddBond works. When used it will make AddBond overwrite any existing bond with the same BondInfoID at any bank you specify. This is a global setting change so you will need to call the opposite option to disable it to return AddBond to the normal behavior of ignoring existing bonds.

Code:
    Bank AddOverwrites On/Off

Example: Bank AddOverwrites Off

Planned Features

- Better controller support for some windows
    - Stocks
    - Allowing selection windows to resize to the number of options with a maximum limit that will likely be settable as a plugin parameter.

Conflicts

Right know there are no known conflicts however anything that aliases or modifies the following functions may conflict with this plugin without proper integration measures:

- DataManager.createGameObjects
    - DataManager.createSaveContents
    - DataManager.extractSaveContents
    - Game_Interpreter.prototype.pluginCommand

Version Changelogs

- Version 2.0.2 Changelog:
    - Fixed an issue which was causing any plugin command called to trigger the Bank scene to open (BreakerZero).
    - Fixed the demo download link at the top of this post and in the GitHub readme.

- Version 2.0.1 Changelog:
    - Fixed a potential menu hang due to an invalid selection index.
    - Updated the plugin button image to include a cancel button.
    - Added a plugin parameter to control the font size used in the plugin
    - Changed the BankOpen plugin command to be used with any number of parameters.
    - Added a cancel button to the widthdraw and deposit windows.
    - Added a minimum deposit feature.
    - Added plugin parameters to set the default interest rate and minimum deposit values.
    - All currency text now uses the system currency setting.
    - If no interest is set or there are no bonds at a bank, those options will be hidden from the bank status window.

- Version 1.1.1 Changelog:
    -Fix an issue where some plugin parameters might not have been working properly.

- Version 1.0.1 Changelog:
    -Fixed an issue with the demo where it was not loading the custom image buttons for the gold counter.

- Version 1.0.0 Changelog:
    - Initial version of plugin uploaded?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  2. Sauteed_Onion

Sauteed_Onion Mmm Tasty Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks man! Meow.

3. Geowil

Geowil Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have released a minor update to this plugin to fix a potential issue with some of the plugin parameters.

4. keizz

keizz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for share,I will use in my project with your credit. :D

5. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A quick question: For whatever reason (and I don't know how Yanfly plays into this if at all - or if it's actually related to a WebM background at main menu or something else entirely) but for some reason the selection indicator doesn't show, the bank selection signals at continuous, rapid fire and (by consequence of both) will result in a so-called "soft lock" if you even think about making your first deposit (or in simplified terms, that means you don't get anything in response unless you spam F5 to recurse back into bootstrap which obviously defeats the purpose).

EDIT: I'm not getting anything in the console either.

EDIT 2: Is someone even here (developer or otherwise) who can point me in the right direction on this?

EDIT 3: Seeing the save overload entry is under limitations I'm gonna try this without Yanfly Save Core (just to rule that out for compatibility reasons).

EDIT 4: Not as I first thought. I'm about ready to report this plugin as incompatible and therefore in violation of distribution for both its hacks (shouldn't have ever had to consider doing this in the default scripts which in good conscience is far from advisable for just this reason and possibly against terms of use, or correct me otherwise) and for its lack of development as the developer only managed a single post, one update and nothing else to show for it with no response to my query (and by extension what's called a matter of DOA).

EDIT 5: For reference I'd better post my plugin list. Hopefully it will be of use to investigate a better alternative to this p***-poor excuse of a plugin with obvious hacks, compatibility issues and other violations of common sense principles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    EDIT 6: Reports are now on file and I will defer to mods from here. Regarding the matter of hacking engine defaults I continue to stand by my position thereof (I had to do it in the past while I was still on VXAce but no more of that because of this) and also - since I have posted this hoping someone would be paying attention to investigate - because there is yet to be any kind of response. So unfortunately my guess is that the OP has either disappeared, taken holiday or moved on (or perhaps any other combination thereof but again I'll defer to mods for a complete and final analysis). For this reason I must therefore assume that either abandonment, DOA or perhaps even both have occurred (since the last update from the OP is from July making this a technical necropost with absolutely nothing to show for it).

EDIT 7: One thing I forgot to mention is that the demo project doesn't work either, thereby legitimizing my concern of the possibility that the OP may have truly and totally moved on.

EDIT 8: Same can unfortunately be said of the compiled demo (and not just the project source). So yeah, this one's DOA in my book (however, as previously stated I will defer to mods for an official confirmation in this matter).

EDIT 9: OP seems to be responding more to other matters right now (as my activity analysis shows this entry as the most recent response in this department regarding his other plugin, and with no other activity in nearly an entire month). Beyond this issue, both plugins follow a pattern of requiring hacks to default scripts thereby meaning that both this plugin and the other are effectively a public liability (and even the plugin with the most recent activity is guaranteed to be incompatible with basically anything else as a consequence). I will obviously be following up with a blanket report against his account because of this. (And in regard to what may happen from here, please forgive me for having to do this. My position is to be totally serious when it comes to ethics concerns, regardless of what the result may be.)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  6. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @BreakerZero I think you are being a little impatient by complaining that the OP hasn't responded to your query only 12 hours or so after you posted it. With a thread that has seen little activity since it was created, I am not surprised that the OP doesn't check in daily.

I am not entirely clear what you mean by the suggestion that this plugin violates the EULA because it forces hacks of the default plugins. Unlike earlier versions, e.g. Ace, MV is entirely open source so that coders can do that, re-writing any part that they wish. Could you clarify what you mean?

7. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @BreakerZero You're being unnecessarily aggressive from the lack of knowledge.
    On my computer the plugin works with no issues both in test project and in the OP's test project, both compiled and uncompiled.
    Next: Any plugin that overwrites default functions in any way pretty much hacks the core scripts. It's legal however as they are MIT licensed. So any editing done to it does not break MV EULA or whatever.
    Next: You don't NEED to edit the core script files themselves. The changes the author made can freely be copied inside the plugin file, you just have to make sure it's on top. If you do, there are absolutely NO compatibility issues between this plugin and any other plugins out there. I have however made a pull request on github, in which I made a patch so that this plugin won't need to be on top. Whether the author approves it or not and when, it's up to them.
    Also, which common sense principles are possibly broken here? All I saw was just inexperience of the author, errors arising of it were easy for me to fix, but no common sense principles broken. In fact apart from ugly code and not foolproof enough setting it's a fully fledged plugin.

8. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hence my "defer" comment. That helps out quite a bit in that regard and I guess it's possible that I may have indeed been a bit extreme without the extra information.

With that out of the way, perhaps for any of you who got it going could point me in the direction I'm looking for now that I have clarification on the matter (or where else I may wish to look in more specifically-speaking terms).

EDIT: Even with this said I stand by my "default scripts" comment because who knows what can go wrong if you don't know what you're doing. In other words, it's a "last resort" case that's not to be considered without thought regardless of any extra information.

EDIT 2: I forgot to ask which editor you guys used that did it. Either that or what I have may have failed on install (which I had to verify in regard to another plugin at least once in the past). I'll look at this a bit more and see what I've got.

EDIT 3: I'm still at a loss. My only guess at this point is the possibility of a kernel issue, which if so I can't do jack about without any sort of updates from the OP and/or MV itself. Specifically, it's because the latest such updates can involve something called "Spectre" and its evil twin "Meltdown" that can make quite the mess at the processor level in too many ways and if that in any way could impact how MV functions (if at all). But as always, I will defer to mods and development teams and such to verify that (especially because the potential limitations at the kernel and processor levels are system/software specific and by consequence are beyond the scope of the forum's purpose). Not saying it is, of course - everything else runs just fine - but I'm raising the possibility because of the potential side effects from such a horrendous glitch in the system. The only other possibility I can think of beyond this is what release this was originally checked against (since I had to override my settings to run no higher than 1.5 for a compatibility reason, and that 1.4 is my only other baseline and neither one did anything for me in this matter).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  9. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The reason the softlocking happens is because the author calls select methods of the action panel window without parameter.
    Also, the author completely forgot to mention that they use some sort of custom images for graphics.
    And the reason why it worked for me was because I was using a mouse, not arrow keys :D For keys it indeed does not work even for me. My apologies there.
    In this case I agree that the plugin is faulty. Luckily patching it is not too hard.

In order to fix the plugin:
    Search for
    this._actPane.select();

and edit it to

this._actPane.select(0);

there should be six occurences of it, all need to be changed.

10. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That did it.

I'll PM the OP for inclusion in the next release. Also it now works with gamepad controls so I think it should fix the keyboard as well.

11. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @BreakerZero Something to keep in mind is that this is in Plugins In Development thus implying that it is not a finished project.

Please, just chill. Not every developer on here is active all the time. To vilify this plugin writer in this way is not okay. If you have issues with the plugin simply reporting the issues in this thread and then, choose to use or not use the plugin. It's that simple.

While overwriting the original code is not best practice, it is not illegal, and therefore the OP has done nothing wrong.

12. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Which you have all cleared up.

Having come from VXAce at first would be one set of rules and then I move on and it's an entirely different game. And I guess I'm weird like that but ultimately you cleared it all up for me and worked to find a solution in the process.

EDIT: A few improvements to suggest:

1. Short codes. This can be for anything in the system from custom colors to your cash symbol.
    2. Automatic system definition import. This is important for a plugin like this so that it automatically reflects your terminology if you use anything other than gold.
    3. Better font size management. Within the plugin manager itself, so that if you use anything from Yanfly or likewise you can do the same thing here without going to the plugin code itself in the event you're trying to use the same sizing across your entire project or any similar situation.
    4. Automatically hiding anything not used (for example, if you define a zero level for accured interest because you don't want to use it in your project).
    5. Similar to the above, adding a custom text line for special instructions (like if you want to set deposits to be done by increments of 1000 to name a common example).
    6. Custom image name for the incrementals function (and for crying out loud, you should at least post the example image - that way people will know on the immediate that it's a part of the package).

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  13. Geowil

Geowil Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow, I was wondering why my gmail was exploding.

Thanks for the report BreakerZero. I will look into this soon. I don't have a lot of time to devote to these plugins I am making, I try to work on them every couple of months. I will take another dive into the code and see what I can fix up. Some things I have learned working on my later plugin will likely apply here. I do know that there is an odd bug I was never able to reproduce on que which might be what you are running into.

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    BreakerZero likes this.
  14. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think I can back these suggestions up. I also have another suggestions:

Deal with the interest system a bit better. It's not foolproof enough once decimal numbers are involved and due to rounding up issues it can look awful (for example 128374957362940000,27000000001 really looks terrible). You can for example round it up to two decimal digits to prevent this atrocity.

I'd say that it would be much more pleasant to not do the stuff that when you want to deposit too much, it goes red. Capping the scroll at maximum of player's gold is not too hard and gives better user experienced.

Clearer/more sensible code: You put the plugin, except for few definitions, inside a self invoking function, but it's absolutely unnecessary, since self invoking functions are used to prevent variables and functions from getting defined on global level and your plugin doesn't really use any. Therefore it's unnecessary. Also, you defined
    var Geowil = Geowil || {}
    like many do, but it was unused, therefore pointless definition.
    And of course the unification of the things so that the user won't have to overwrite the engine. As I said, I made a pull request on github. The select bug mentioned in this thread is still unfixed in the pull request, as I didn't want to do all the work for you :p

Geowil likes this.
  15. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Another thing I noticed since my last update: functional failure.

Not sure if it's there's wrong in terms of customization but I'm not getting a deposit to work at all. I set it to require deposits of no less than 1,000G in as many increments thereof so unless there's something I need to do at the project level for it to read properly (even a minimum processing amount below the actual requirement would do this) then I don't know what's up.

EDIT: rpg_objects and rpg_managers both have the required updates.

16. Geowil

Geowil Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just to update. Planning to start the work for the new major version tomorrow. Might release it tomorrow but I think it will likely happen on or around Tuesday of next week. I will see about fixing up some of the issues reported and implementing some of the suggestions along with getting the code cleaned up a bit.

17. Geowil

Geowil Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have released the next major version of the plugin and updated the original post. I have not had a lot of time to test it so if you run into any issues please let me know. Thanks!

18. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    One issue: cannot read "bankexists" of undefined. And that's off an existing save.

19. Geowil

Geowil Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Try on a new save while I see if I can track it down. There were some changes that might invalidate save files but I did not see it when I tried th save I have from the previous plugin version.

Edit: Also please remove the code from rpg_managers and rpg_objects that the old plugin version required. I have it all in the plugin file now.

If you still have the issue I will try installing your plugin list along with my plugin in a test project to see if I can recreate the issue via a conflict and then see if I can make a specific patch for you project.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  20. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That was definitely the problem. But I ran into another issue - popping up at game start and not closing no matter what I do. Ruined the flow of my intro sequence and everything, and I have no idea why.