Banking and losing money upon death

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Jaide, Aug 14, 2012.

?

Would you like a banking system, like Earthbound, where your money is stored? If you died, you'd los

1. Yes, I enjoy games with additional systems like this.

28 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. No, that's unnecessary and harsh.

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Miltix

Miltix Villager Member

First Language:
    Elven
    Unless you have an autosave feature, it's unnecessary since people would just close and restart your game by the time they get a game over screen.

2. punram

punram Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Well, if you're making a single player game, how much fun the player is having is the general thing to consider at the end of the day. Throwing in the banking system is fine by me, but adding in save points too may be annoying. If the player wants to reload the game, let them. If the player wants to cheat a little bit, I'd say let them. Chances are, they'll enjoy your game more for it, at the end of the day.

3. Mouser

Mouser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm generally in favor of any mechanic that prevents the Game Over/reload last save mechanic. Whether that be respawning somewhere with the XP and items you gained intact, or some other mechanic (Planescape:Torment had the 'restoring lost memories), it keeps the game moving rather that breaking the players immersion and reminding them that they are playing a game (and that they just lost, to boot).