Evertonest

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi!

I have a Bard class, and I am having trouble implementing a game mechanic related to activating and deactivating certain skills during battle.

The bard has two skill types: "VERSE" and "CHORUS". CHORUS skills are basically stronger versions of VERSE skills, but can only be used when a certain VERSE skill is being used.

Please see below to understand more about how I want the class skills to work.

SKILL TYPES:
SKILL TYPE: VERSE
Battle Music I - Increases allies' ATK and MATK by x1.5 times.
Soothing Melody I - Regenerates 10% of HP for all allies each turn while active.

Another Skill I - [insert skill info here]

SKILL TYPE: CHORUS
Battle Music II - Increases allie's ATK and MATK by 2x times.
Soothing Melody II - Regenerates 15% of HP for all allies each turn while active.
Another Skill II - [insert skill info here]

BATTLE EXAMPLE
Upon entering battle, the VERSE and CHORUS skill types are both visible. All skills under the CHORUS skill type are unusable.

Let's say I play the skill "Battle Music I". My allies's ATK and MATK has increased by x1.5. During my next turn, "Battle Music II" in the CHORUS skill type can now be selected, because "Battle Music I" is being played. All the other skills under CHORUS are still unusable. I play "Battle Music II", and my allies' ATK and MATK is twice as high.

Then, I swap to using "Soothing Melody I" under the VERSE skill type. My allies are renegerating HP by 10% each turn now. My allies' ATK and MATK are no longer boosted, because the "Battle Music" song is no longer being played. "Soothing Melody II" under the CHORUS skill type can now be selected because "Soothing Melody I" is being played, and all the other CHORUS skills (including "Battle Music II") cannot be selected anymore.

MY QUERY:
What is the best and easiest way to do this? Is there an alternative way to create a similar mechanic? Please note that I will be adding skills that can both buff my allies' stats, and debuff enemy stats.

I also have absolutely no experience in Javascript.

Last edited:

ave36

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Javascript is not required. You create a "Chorus" state, "Verse" and "Chorus" skill types. In the "Chorus" state, you enter the trait "Enable skill type Chorus" under the "Skill" tab. A "Verse" type skill should, in addition to its usual effects, add state "Chorus" to the user and call common event that adds the specific Chorus skill that corresponds to the Verse. When the Chorus skill is used, it removes state "Chorus" from the user and calls common event that erases that specific skill from your bard's skilllist. Everything can be evented without a single line of code.

The downside of such an approach is that the Chorus skills will not be visible before they can be used. If you want to specifically grey out skills, not remove them, you need plugins.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

have another character sheet! ill probably add some more details before i make my thread for this project
Every time the official RMWeb account makes a post, I think it's @Eliaquim writing it!

It's driving me crazy, but it's also wonderfully hilarious.
// Looks at Elfkisser, realizes he'd have to either install Windows 10 or compile it for Linux
// Didn't install Elfkisser.
Too much effort for a curiosity. :popcorn:
I was just high-fiving myself for all I've learnt in the engine, and how far I've come, only to forget to remove the Immortal state from a semi-scripted battle. Now the enemy never dies and I feel so smart >.>
Playtest your stuff. Always playtest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gremter