base building plugin request for MV -CLOSED-

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Requests' started by Pyrathas, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Pyrathas

Pyrathas Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I searched the master list couldn't find what I'm looking for (there is alot).

I'm looking for a script that allows the player to build a base. Let me explain first.

The GDD I made calls for the player to be on a deserted island. Over time the player builds parts of his base and unlocks new expansions with recourses and game progress. What would be the best way to do this as I'm pretty sure swapping individual tyles would be script heavy.

Do these plugins exist for MV? Or anyone have an idea on how I can achieve this? My javascript is basic and RPG scripting is null.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    yes and no - there are several plugins but each has its limit.
    For base building you'll basically need a plugin to change the map - either by tile (would would require a lot of tedious commands for larger buildings) or by section (which usually limits how much you can change). I think there is a plugin to change sections of the map based on region ID, but I don't have the link.

with crafting there are several plugins and you'll simply have to compare them to decide which one fits you best.
    However be warned that crafting plugins are a lot of work to configure because you have to place in every recipe for your game, and in some cases you'll need at least basic understanding of scripting to be able to write those recipes.

3. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  4. Pyrathas

Pyrathas Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Thanks for the advice! I guess the best way to explain it is something like a map swap. For example the player starts off with an abandoned shack and ruins. We call this map 0 and sub map 0 He first fixed the shack and adds a basement. Now we switch to map 1 and sub map 1 here's where it gets complex:

He can choose to build different parts of the base as needed. However the rooms can be either separate maps (not prefered as I found this annoying and lazy) or the whole section is added or changed whatever. I guess like a region ID but I'm not to Familiar with that. I'm more Familiar with Unity and Unreal engines but I like the tile assets and character generator plus the ui of the RPG maker engine. So I'm sticking with this engine (that and I already bought a license).

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    did you look at the link?

6. Pyrathas

Pyrathas Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I did. I read it again slowly. Still a little confused but noticing your the creator. So your plugin let's me use tile sets from other maps to add to another map yes? It copies the boundaries set in the tile sets menu in RPG maker like barriers ladders, ect?

If I understand this I can have the player in map one, rebuild the shack and an event triggers for map two. Then he builds say a lab and that triggered tilesets to add the lab into map two right? Would that mean I just make a map that has all the rooms he needs for expanding and just use region Ids?

The last question is would it work if I used different maps say map one is 16 x 16 and map two is 32 x 32. Is there a way to transfer the Player's progress?

I mean:

In save game A:
    Player has shack basement and lab but builds library requiring a 32x 32 map

In Save game B:
    Player has shack basement and library but builds lab requiring a 32 x 32 map

I ask because a small 6 x 6 room in a 32 x 32 map of black is going to seem distracting.

Other than that it seems to be what I'm looking for and don't know how I missed it if it is. I credit you, Shaz, right in credits?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No, not tilesets.

I think you are confusing what the plugin does with other suggestions made earlier in this thread. This does not require the player to transfer between maps (if you did that, you may as well just make individual maps for each version). It also doesn't use regions.

You simply have one map, which is the only one the player will ever see, and is big enough to cater for the eventual size you want it to be.

Then you have one or more maps, using the same tileset, that will have different versions of what you want on the main map, or different parts that can be pulled together onto the main map. These do not need to be the same size.

At the appropriate point in time, you run a plugin command to copy a section of one of these other maps onto the current map, and that change becomes permanent until you want to do something different.

Re the map sizes ... if you had a 32x32 map and a small 6x6 room, the player would only be able to move to the edges of the room, not walk all over the place right to the edges of the map. They'll be able to see at least the 17x13 (?) default map size so everything outside the room will be black. It would be different if it was an outside map, but then you could just have trees or something around the edge preventing movement too far away from the "usable" space. If that was really a problem for you, you could have a couple of different sized maps that the player can go to.

Note - the plugin will copy all of the map layers if that's what you want, but it won't copy events. If you have events that belong to the "new" areas, you might need to just use switches to control when they appear.

8. Pyrathas

Pyrathas Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks that clarifies it for me I will be sure to try this out! I think this really is what I'm looking for (I hate having to do multiple maps)

9. Pyrathas

Pyrathas Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    By the way any restrictions on use?

10. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    nope

11. Pyrathas

Pyrathas Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks Shaz. Thread can be closed. Base building plugin found.

12. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    then report your topic to be closed - mods don't read every topic for posts like this.