Base sprites emotes and animations

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Resources' started by whtdragon, Feb 6, 2016.

1. whtdragon

whtdragon Resource Staff Restaff

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So I'm noticing around the forums a common trend with people making faces show emotion in avatars and busts, but almost no one is doing that for the character sprites themselves. Inspired by classic RPG games like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, Super Mario RPG, and even Golden Sun I've decided to make a few edits for the base sprites for emotions and other animations like running, being sick, and blushing. Obviously these will require editing if you wish to use them for yourself, but I'm hoping I at least cut out some time for folks that wants something extra~

I probably will not be updating this too often, but when I have some time in between things I'll probably be working on at least a few more animations. I did get the big ones most people would like to see though, like running and crawling. None of these require plugins, these are all made using the default 3 frame limit in mind. If anyone needs animated gifs to show off the animations, I'll be happy to provide when I can.

While we are at it; I'm not real happy with MV's default SV animations either. I've made new ones. Right now I've just uploaded new victory animations. while it's fine that everyone gets the same victory posing/jumping I did appreciate RPG maker 2003's unique victories for each character, so I've made a set of base battler victories of my own.

Edit: just so we're clear these are templates NOT generator parts I have no interest in making these workable in the generator, It would just end up being a hassle for everyone as you would likely have to constantly overwrite the default files back and forth just to get even a few of these sprites at a time, and I'm not going to to ask anyone to do that. These are for good old fashioned sprite work, and I believe in you guys ( o w o)/ I think you can make these work with a little hard work~

Terms:
    • As these are edits of MV's sprites, you will need a legal copy of RPG maker MV, otherwise~~
    • Credit is appreciated, but not required.
    • They are free to use for commercial or non commercial.
    • You are free to edit, change, recolor, re-edit, remix, maim, mangle, add on, divide, and conquer to your heart's content. I don't even mind if you re-upload them elsewhere as it would only mean more people get access to them and that is A-OK in my books
    Running, crawling swimming animations:
    There is one running animation for male and female each as well as crawling for each. There is a second alternative run animation now for both male and females. It's a Ninja run~
    Swimming animations come with both idling and moving for both underwater and swimming above water u w o~

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sitting and kneeling: Includes two kinds of sitting in chairs, sitting on floors with legs crossed, sitting on your legs, sitting on on the ground with legs up, sitting on the ground with arms around legs, and two different kinds of kneeling sprites!

chair sitting, floor sitting:
    [​IMG]

sitting on floor and kneeling:
    [​IMG]

Downed/hurt and restrained sprites: A LOT of people have been asking for more damaged sprites, and I've been working on them. I showed some of them off earlier but I wasn't ready to fully present it and post it up here yet but now we got 'em. This includes extra fallen/down sprites in various directions, sprites that have been chained up, tied up and bound. I'll probably eventually add on to this, but I'm hoping at least for now this'll maybe scratch the captured quest itch everyone's been looking for.

[​IMG]

Extra Body and age types: Ever wanted toddlers, kids, teenagers or plus sized folks? I gotcha covered~

The kid sprites are currently the only ones with multiple animations for now. They have walking, running, skipping (based similarly to RMK2's child sprites) swimming, sitting and a bunch of extra animations including downed/hurt, sleeping crying and happiness. The other types currently only has walking animations, I'll fix that overtime. I also did not make a plus sized/pudgy kid sprite because it's been the hardest one to get animating right and I've been struggling with it a lot, so I just didn't add it in /)o ~ o; so if you wanted those, you'll have to wait a little longer sorry!

kid sprites:[​IMG]
    toddler, teens and large people:
    [​IMG]

General Purpose Emotes: There's two kinds here; ones that have just down facing sprites, some of which don't animate, others do. They're mostly ment for cinematics. The other sprites do have multiple directions, and they're things like laughing and shaking your head yes and no.

Cinematic emotes: includes being embarrassed, being sick, thumbs up, all sorta things~! (1 direction)
    [​IMG]

laughing, nodding yes and no: (4 directions)
    [​IMG]

SV battlers alternative animations: these do use basic 3 frame animations, I PROBABLY will not be making more complicated animations with more frames for plugins or scripts. Includes Victory and now alternative casting animations! Your fighters now have something a bit less magic-y!

NEW misc animations including taunts, martial arts moves, energy blast attacks singing and jumping. See spoiler below for more details on what everything is.

male victories:
    [​IMG]
    Male casting/ability charging
    [​IMG]
    female victories:
    [​IMG]

female casting/ability charging
    [​IMG]
    Extra misc animations: (includes taunt, provoke, cheer, crying, martial arts kicking, uppercut, throwing item, energy blast style charging and release, alternative blocking (maybe with a shield item?) and singing for both males and females.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Jumping: not a fan of these too much but basically there's separate jumping up and jumping down animations, ment to play inbetween attacks to add an extra flare. I don't know how well or effective they actually are, but I think that largely depends on what plugins you're running or how you have things set up. Still if you wanted a dragoon type it can still be useful as a straight up attack.
    [​IMG]

Extras: includes pieces or additions that anyone can easily use and edit into their own sprites~

Facial expressions: The default sprites are actually quite large and are more then big enough to offer a wide range of emotions!
    [​IMG]

Update history:
    Feb. 7 - added new swimming animations, new SV Casting/ability charging, and new facial expressions for anyone to play with u w o~
    August 8th- added kid sprites with many animations, new body types for toddlers, teens and large sized folks, new SV animations for taunts, attacks, jumping, and added new damaged/hurt sprites!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  2. newnikko

newnikko Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    français
    Nice. 

Thanks for your work. 

Marushia likes this.
  3. SkySurfer

SkySurfer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    `Amazing as always whtdragon! 

` That ninja running sprite tho, EXTRA AMAZING!!! 

*Right, now that we these awesomeness... time to level up my editing skills from bad to acceptable.  :guffaw:  Where are the tutorials at?  :p

MoCity likes this.
  4. whtdragon

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

awww come on now >wo; there's lots of tutorials on the internet! but the secret is small movements and changes can go a loong way /o w o/~

Phoenixsylph, MoCity and SkySurfer like this.
  5. SkySurfer

SkySurfer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

But but but.... your tutorials might be more effective! 1000000% more  effective!  :p

6. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

these are AMAZING!  Thank you so much.

Quick question - the way to use these is to replace the base generator parts right? and make the characters "over again" but in the particular pose we want? or is there a simpler way to do it?

7. killerfer

killerfer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    @whtdragon

Amazing work, thank you so much. Now if you manage to make those be generator compatible, you win the internet sir.

8. definite_lee

definite_lee Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

pretty much this^

but also you did the heavy lifting, so the rest of us can get off our lazy asses and edit some stuff too lol 

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2016
    killerfer likes this.
  9. whtdragon

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @killerfer @definite_lee
    Unfortunately I can not do that (well I could, but I don't want to)  that would mean making individual generator parts to match for each victory (plus any other animation I would make, such as alt casting animations- yes those are being worked on too)  and even then they'd replace the defaults, and it would just generally be a tedious messy process for everyone, and I like to try and keep things easy to use.

plus yeah a little editing work won't hurt everyone else, I believe in you guys! you can do it /o w o/~!

Oriceles, killerfer and definite_lee like this.
  10. NarikoStudios

NarikoStudios Lover of Catgirls Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I love these new animations how do you use these? I can't figure out how to make the clothes work is it not a drag and drop? like drag the clothes from the generator and place them on here?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2016
  11. IAmVianca

IAmVianca Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    These are awesome.

I don't really mind making sprites out of these, the only thing that's stopping me is the palette for MV. I haven't gotten hang of it. But these might be the push I need. Haha.

@whtdragon, I am going to be using these. :D

12. whtdragon

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

haha no that won't work. You gotta do it the good ol' fashioned hard way editing them in a program and spriting clothes n' stuff by hand. These are templates for working off of, not generator parts u w o~

13. Barchetta3223

Barchetta3223 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    oh my god I love this. I was really hoping to not have to pay someone for the unique poses! Now I can do them all myself >:D

14. whtdragon

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Updated with new swimming animations /o w o/ a friend of mine pointed out I'd probably need swimming soon and he's right, but this time we're doing underwater AND surface swimming!
    SV batters got some new alternative casting animations. there's one ment for sword draw, two for physical attacks, and the other three could be used for all sorta stuff. I reallyy wanted this one done because the default suggests we'd only have to ever cast magic. I imagine though you will probably need a script if you wanted to use all of these for one reason or another though, so yeah beware of that.

Under the extras, there is just facial expressions for right now. I realized that a lot of folks would probably want a lot more emotions going on in the faces, or at least have the option for them. It's strange, the MV defaults actually have a lot of room for a LOT of emotion and facial expression, and I wanted to offer up a nice variety for folks to work off of and maybe inspire to make even more.

Hopefully though this'll be enough to give everyone something to work with u w o~ enjoy guys!

that's the idea u w o~ just trying to give everyone some resources to work with~

newnikko likes this.
  15. nanakra

nanakra Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I don't know if you are taking requests or suggestions, but it would be awesome if you could do sitting sprites too. So many RPGs just have the NPCs standing on chairs and stools. They could also have animations like eating, drinking, chatting, reading, or even typing at a keyboard for the sci-fi games, that sort of thing.

Also, Love all that you've made above. Keep up the great work!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2016
  16. whtdragon

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @nanakra  yeah I was eventually gonna do sitting animations at some point u 3 u/ I'm just hitting the big ones for now. I'll eventually do sitting animations PROBABLY but maaaybe not right now. I wanna finish up some of the animal stuff I've been working on. It's just been bugging me that there's been almost no resources for sprite emotions or extra animations.

17. kyuukyuu

kyuukyuu Veteran

First Language:
    English
    These are amazing >wwwww<

18. Ghost of Christmas Kloe

Ghost of Christmas Kloe Ghost of a Princess Seagull Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    These are really cool! I made some for a "threatening animation" once but these are so much cooler! It's bound to add a huge amount of personallity to anyone's project!  :D

19. Davõr Jörmling

Davõr Jörmling THE Dr. Penguin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Even more awesome work!!! :D

20. Subzero Dragon

Subzero Dragon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    O.M.G! First those awesome critters, now this? *Grins uncontrollably* These are exactly what I needed, especially for one of my sillier characters! I shall credit you in my game, natch~!