Basic Event Help

Phantom77

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am a newbie and I'm still playing around with my RPG Maker MV, to learn basic features, resources, and techniques before I even begin working on a real project that I have in mind.

I created a two-page event, where I talk to an NPC who gives me two choices. I created a custom route for the NPC, and the route is clear of obstacles and walks the custom route like it is suppose to.

However, after I talk with the NPC, I find that the NPC stops following the custom route, and instead, continues to walk down, until he is blocked and then stays there. How do I make an NPC stick to its custom route I created, after I talk with an NPC?

Thank you anyone, for any response and help with this. Below are three screenshots to show how I have the event set up, and also to show the custom route I have set up for the NPC.

FirstScreenShot.png
SecondScreenShot.png
ThirdScreenShot.png

glaphen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would assume it only does it when you select the first choice and change pages, when you change pages it starts from the top of the new move route, you could make it so the very first part of the event is a conditional branch if self switch a is on do the 2nd page text, else do the original text.

Phantom77

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would assume it only does it when you select the first choice and change pages, when you change pages it starts from the top of the new move route, you could make it so the very first part of the event is a conditional branch if self switch a is on do the 2nd page text, else do the original text.
Ah ha. That makes sense. And yes, you're right. The NPC was starting from the beginning of its custom route when I picked the first choice, making the NPC walk down again, when it should not do so.

I'm trying to figure out exactly how to apply your suggestion correctly. I added a "If : Self Switch A is On" conditional branch as the first thing, on top of page one of the event, and inserted a else branch as sub-text underneath.

But from the event command choices, which one do I put, for both, for when the self switch is on (do the second page text), and then for when the self switch is off (do the original text)?

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
for stuff like this i like yanflys move route plugin. it allows you to use x,y coordinates instead

HotAndColdAF

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You want to set it up so it's all one page that goes like

If: Self Switch A is OFF
[Stuff you've got on page 1 now]
Else
[Stuff you've got on page 2 now]

glaphen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah ha. That makes sense. And yes, you're right. The NPC was starting from the beginning of its custom route when I picked the first choice, making the NPC walk down again, when it should not do so.

I'm trying to figure out exactly how to apply your suggestion correctly. I added a "If : Self Switch A is On" conditional branch as the first thing, on top of page one of the event, and inserted a else branch as sub-text underneath.

But from the event command choices, which one do I put, for both, for when the self switch is on (do the second page text), and then for when the self switch is off (do the original text)?
EventPage.png
Like this, no need for 2nd page so it will never restart movement. You can shift click to select all the text and Ctrl X or C to copy and Ctrl V to paste, quick and easy.

Phantom77

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Else
Ah, okay. :)

Phantom77

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Else
HotandCold, I tried following your instructions, but maybe I'm still not doing something right. When I play test now, the way I put the event trying to follow your instructions, the NPC is not even present in the game.

And for some reason, the forum pops up with an error message, when I try to insert a new screenshot, in order to show you how I put the event text, per your instructions.

HotAndColdAF

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did you check off any conditions? If any of them are checked off, they shouldn't be. It should look like this, and I've verified that this works as intended:
example.png

HotAndColdAF

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Correct! If you check that button, then it won't run the event unless the self switch is already on, which is impossible. You don't have to check that box to use the self switch, just if you want to prevent it from running unless that switch is on.

Phantom77

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Correct! If you check that button, then it won't run the event unless the self switch is already on, which is impossible. You don't have to check that box to use the self switch, just if you want to prevent it from running unless that switch is on.
Oh my gawd! I feel like a doofus. :)

It works now, without having that box checked. Thank you for your patience in helping me with this. I will save a copy of the example for future reference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I based this on the armor of Actor 1_7 of the RTP. Hair is from Derex and Sythian Bard.
Stream will be live shortly! Going to do another art stream tonight so that I can finish my Fauna Focus piece~ Feel free to drop by!
Humans are fallible creatures, we all know that. It's when we're forced to look at ourselves that we start to disagree. :p
Expectation: Working on boss battle.
Reality: "Look at how awful are these code and database organization. Let me clean this mess", *yet, casually adding more modules that I have no idea if I would use it later*
Trying to learn to read Japanese so I read my manga. I like to buy them without all the edits made during translation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jubacard