Talent Extraordinaire
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Basic Quest System v1.1a
By Vlue
Introduction
Is your RPG too boring? Do people get lost easy? Do you want to make a mock MMO? You don't have to answer yes to any of those questions, but it helps if you want to use... Basic Quest System! Which gives you quests and junk. Yay.

Features
- Create quests with objectives and stuff.
- Quests can rewards gold, or exp, or items, or nothing, it's up to you!
- Nifty accepting and completing windows!
- A quest log!
- A quest overlay!

Screenshots

How to Use
Make a lot of quests, set up quests in events, enjoy!

Script
On pastebin, as usual: http://pastebin.com/tyM7s1Pj

FAQ
Q: I have a question.
A: No you don't.

Credit and Thanks
- By Vlue
- Free to use in any project, commercial or otherwise (despite what my accountant says (hah, like I have an accountant)), with credit given

Author's Notes
... of these scripts now.

Dream3r

90% Dreamer, 100% Dedicated
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You're on a roll, three scripts a week is pretty damn good.  (At least I think it's three)

You give them away for free too which is cool.

Won't be using this script as I'm trying to keep hud and menus to a minimum but it could be very useful in some games.

ninjalex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Very interesting! :)

Eurgh

Lord of the Reapers
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Is there no demo for this? Looking over the quest format, I don't fully understand how it works.

Could you supply a demo, please? I find it a lot easier to work things out if I have it in front of me.

senpoRiot

Professional Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
Can you make something like a "Quest Office" where you can choose quests that you can accept?

Sophien

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
At first i get an error by using this awesome script... if it works :p i added by the first quest this :auto_complete => true
And if i finish the quest it says:

Script Game_Interpreter line 1411: NoMethodError occured.

Undefined method change_class_exp for #<Game_Actor:0xb8a3d78>

And after that, i tried your Demo :D And i get an error too if i try to summon a healing totem:
Script Pets and Summons v1.4d line 128: TypeError occured

false can't be coerced into Fixnum

:DD

Vlue

Talent Extraordinaire
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@senpoRiot You can do that! But it'd be one heck of an event!

@Sophien Uh yah, that's what I get for editing a script for my use then using that version to fix things. Oops.

Fixed it up on the pastebin.

And I've fixed up the Pets script too already. Demo isn't update though, you'll have to get it from the pastebin ( http://pastebin.com/zuGyMX7z )

Last edited by a moderator:

SquallStorm

Resident Persona 5 Hyper
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This may sound like a silly question, but for a "basic" quest system, the possibilities are only really limited to your own imagination.  That said, I do have a bit of a query.  The quests I have in mind are your traditional "slay x number of monster y and bring back item z" style quests with some twists.  My thing is would it be possible to have the quest and their conditions/stages fulfill automatically, or would that be something akin to a global parallel process?

antiseptique

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Hi Vlue,

I like your script and try to understand how it works.

For the moment I understand how to create a quest with objectives, rewards etc. How to add the accept popup for this quest and how the quest log / overlay works.

How to progress in the quest is ok, kill some monster with "adv_obj:)questid, :obj, number)".

All works well but I don't understand how I can complete this quest when I speak to a specific NPC.

Here is the steps of my quest :

- NPC give possibility to accept the quest. If I say yes, Quest Log appear.

- If number of monsters given by the quest are killed, when I speak to the NPC, questid and objid are checked, if it's ok, I whant this NPC to complete the quest but I don't know how to do this.

Actually, my NPC check this condition to know if he can complete the quest :

obj:)questid001, :obj1) >= 3

What do I need to write in the "ok" condition" to complete the quest?

This is probably a beginer question, but I am :)

Thank you in advance for your or other members help.

Vlue

Talent Extraordinaire
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This may sound like a silly question, but for a "basic" quest system, the possibilities are only really limited to your own imagination.  That said, I do have a bit of a query.  The quests I have in mind are your traditional "slay x number of monster y and bring back item z" style quests with some twists.  My thing is would it be possible to have the quest and their conditions/stages fulfill automatically, or would that be something akin to a global parallel process?
A global (or just local, map-based if it's only on one map) parallel process checking event conditions yah.

Hi Vlue,

I like your script and try to understand how it works.

For the moment I understand how to create a quest with objectives, rewards etc. How to add the accept popup for this quest and how the quest log / overlay works.

How to progress in the quest is ok, kill some monster with "adv_obj:)questid, :obj, number)".

All works well but I don't understand how I can complete this quest when I speak to a specific NPC.

Here is the steps of my quest :

- NPC give possibility to accept the quest. If I say yes, Quest Log appear.

- If number of monsters given by the quest are killed, when I speak to the NPC, questid and objid are checked, if it's ok, I whant this NPC to complete the quest but I don't know how to do this.

Actually, my NPC check this condition to know if he can complete the quest :

obj:)questid001, :obj1) >= 3

What do I need to write in the "ok" condition" to complete the quest?

This is probably a beginer question, but I am :)

Thank you in advance for your or other members help.
Nothing wrong with beginner questions.. or any questions!

To check if a quest is complete, use this:

$game_quests[:questid].complete?

Then if it's complete use this:

ask_turnin:)questid)

Even if it's not complete you can still use ask_turnin and the complete button will be greyed out, avoiding the need for checking if it's complete. (Unless you need something special to happen if it's not complete)

Fallun

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
You're a legend!! :D thanks a  bunch for sharing this!

DragonVine

May or May Not be Batman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
First off, this is exactly the kind of system I was hoping to find for quests. :thumbsup-right:

However, I have a question for you Vlue.

I'm trying to have an event where someone left 2 potions with another character. He asks the hero to go and get the potions as he forgot to get them earlier.

I put the ask_accept command and it popped up fine.

However, I run into problems when I want to check if the the quest was accepted or not.

I want the event to immediately check if it's been accepted so I can turn a switch on called QuestStarted, and in the new page have the option to turn in the quest. If it hasn't been accepted, it simply exits and waits for the character to talk to the event again.

However, whenever I accept the quest, it immediately quits the event so that it cannot check if the quest has been accepted, so I have to talk to the NPC again, receive the ask_accept command again, and then it turns the switch. The declining part works fine.

I'll post a screen shot of my eventing for it so it can be a little clearer. I imagine I'm just setting it up wrong in the events, but some clarification would be appreciated. :D

Example.jpg

Eurgh

Lord of the Reapers
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I don't understand how it works.

Vlue

Talent Extraordinaire
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
First off, this is exactly the kind of system I was hoping to find for quests. :thumbsup-right:

However, I have a question for you Vlue.

I'm trying to have an event where someone left 2 potions with another character. He asks the hero to go and get the potions as he forgot to get them earlier.

I put the ask_accept command and it popped up fine.

However, I run into problems when I want to check if the the quest was accepted or not.

I want the event to immediately check if it's been accepted so I can turn a switch on called QuestStarted, and in the new page have the option to turn in the quest. If it hasn't been accepted, it simply exits and waits for the character to talk to the event again.

However, whenever I accept the quest, it immediately quits the event so that it cannot check if the quest has been accepted, so I have to talk to the NPC again, receive the ask_accept command again, and then it turns the switch. The declining part works fine.

I'll post a screen shot of my eventing for it so it can be a little clearer. I imagine I'm just setting it up wrong in the events, but some clarification would be appreciated. :D

Example.jpg
Events don't stop while the accept window is up. Updated the script to have them wait (1.2a now)

I don't understand how it works.
At what part are you lost? It certainly isn't an easy script to start with.

DragonVine

May or May Not be Batman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Events don't stop while the accept window is up. Updated the script to have them wait (1.2a now)
Thank you so much! That worked perfectly.

Kane Hart

Elmlor.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
This is pretty sweet. I really need to figure it out. Anyone make just a demo example of a basic quest or 2 to test but also see.

Eurgh

Lord of the Reapers
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I'm stuck with actually how to make quests. I'm more of a reverse engineer. If i get an open demo, i can work out how everything works from there. but just looking at the script, i sometimes don't understand what to do with. it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Officially not a mod anymore. Thanks for the many years!
Thinking if i should post on the classifieds section...
Made another plugin showcase video! :kaojoy:
(Plugins and details inside the description of the YouTube video.) :LZScheeze:
Ami
Castle is my Biggest Fear :kaodes:. I just Managed make Part by Part (like the Entrance only),not the Entire Castle like in the RM Sample...
This video really speaks to me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnriX