Battle Backgrounds being stretched / resized?

SJWebster

Too old for this ****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RPG Maker MZ seems to be automatically enlarging my battle backgrounds and I can't figure out why.

My game's set to a resolution of 1280x720 and I'm using a pixel art style where pixel sizing needs to be consistent so I made my backgrounds at exactly 1280x720 (technically, 640x360 and then a 2x Nearest Neighbour scale) but when I run the game they're slightly enlarged and blurred, ruining the aesthetic.

I've turned all of my plugins off and got the same results, so none of my plugins appear to be the cause.

The Help file says is "A battleback measures 1000x740 pixels in size. Backgrounds in the "battlebacks1" folder are primarily for floors, and those in the "battlebacks2" folder are primarily for walls. You can arrange these in any combination that you like in order to create your battleback. The upper part of images in front-view battles and the lower part of images in side-view battles will be cropped when displayed."

I'm guessing that last part about cropping the image is to blame and it's at editor level. By default, MZ games are at a weird resolution of 816x624 and battle backgrounds are 1000x740 meaning you lose 184 pixels (18.4%) in width and 116 pixels (15.68%) in height. I'm assuming I have to purposefully oversize my battle background to avoid having it stretched like this?

If I resize my battle backgrounds' canvas to 1600x900, leaving the 1280x720 art in the center surrounded by transparent pixels around all edges, they display at the correct pixel aspect ratio and the desired aesthetic's achieved, but the image isn't taken from the centre of the frame, leaving a nasty black border in-game, implying I also need to reposition my battle backgrounds.

It seems like you intend for me to create artwork that goes unsued / unseen because it's out of frame? Even then, it's hard to tell what will be displayed in-game because you don't take the image from the center of the canvas. Why is this so awkward? Can someone please give me the specifics of how this operates?

(Also, side note, I can position enemies however I like in the editor, but not my party's battlers? I seem to be stuck with an automated / default placement that's way too high?)

Before:

1603874998188.png

Edit:

1603876443860.png

After:

1603876258621.png

Lostboy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
VNM
Hi,
I believe this feature is intended to accommodate for any shake screen/zoom effects, so you won't see any black bars on the edges...

To fix the scale, ver 1.10 of VisuStella's Battlecore has scaling option for battleback.
If that is not an option you could also create your own plugin:

Code:
Sprite_Battleback.prototype.adjustPosition = function() {
    this.width = Graphics.width;
    this.height = Graphics.height;
    this.x = (Graphics.width - this.width) / 2;
    if ($gameSystem.isSideView()) {
        this.y = Graphics.height - this.height;
    } else {
        this.y = 0;
    }
    const ratioX = this.width / this.bitmap.width;
    const ratioY = this.height / this.bitmap.height;
    const scale = Math.max(ratioX, ratioY, 1.0);
    this.scale.x = scale;
    this.scale.y = scale;
};
Place into text file and save as .js

As for the placement of your actors, MZ comes with a plugin called SVActorPositionMZ (should be located where you installed the program under the dlc folder)

Happy game making!

SJWebster

Too old for this ****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Ok... so working on the official game guide for my game and its more than 150 pages...... wow. Well, I hope it will help a few players out.
RPG Maker Games Critique with Studio Blue, Episode 12: Amneron's Legacy starts now! Watch on Youtube and join the chat as we explore the world of Ellis!
Lost track of a huge brazilian wandering spider inside my house. In other news, I'm moving again.

Currently working on the second protagonist's story and her companion, making good progress. But I am looking forward to return to my other protagonist and continue his story and have him joined by a new companion. :)
mlogan wrote on alltheyuriz's profile.
Please be aware that our Status rules ask members not to make more than 2 status updates in 24 hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brenadjnendad