ZinoAkumura

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
So I've seen multiple plugins for customizing the battle HUD, but out of all of them I have not found a single one that lets you customize what the Attack/Item buttons actually look like. I know it's definitely possible, Ive seen it in games and videos, but I have no idea how to do it. Please help.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What do you mean, what the buttons look like? In the standard interface, and most plugins that modify it, all of your commands are simply a text list.

I haven't seen many that change that, but those that do absolutely provide ways to customize it: see MOGHunter's BattleHUD, Luna Engine or SRD's HUDMaker.

Are you asking about something else?

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MogHunter battleCommands can customize the battle commonds on images,
SRD Hudmaker is semi possible, but it require JS knowledge to do so.
Luna Engine is wider in customizing everything, but you need to be more
specific like ATT_Turan said, otherwise, we cannot re-direct you to the correct
plugins.

keep in minds, that some advance battle huds are cmmissioned by people for
their game, and those cannot be found anywhere, unless outhor got permission
from the request to do so, or from their terms to do so.

ZinoAkumura

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
What do you mean, what the buttons look like? In the standard interface, and most plugins that modify it, all of your commands are simply a text list.

I haven't seen many that change that, but those that do absolutely provide ways to customize it: see MOGHunter's BattleHUD, Luna Engine or SRD's HUDMaker.

Are you asking about something else?
Alright, I guess I now have a better idea of what I want to do. So in a fight, with the Attack, Guard, and Item buttons, is there a way to make the text on them transparent? I know one of those plugins may be able to do that, but I would like to know which one before hand.
Also, is it possible to increase the distance between those buttons? I don't really want them to be touching.
And finally, there is usually a blue glow when you hover over a button. Is there a way to change the color of it?

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Alright, I guess I now have a better idea of what I want to do. So in a fight, with the Attack, Guard, and Item buttons
So, just to mention it again, I think you are being confusing to us readers when you use the term "buttons" for that. A button, in a user interface context, generally has a graphical container separating it from the rest of the interface. At this point in the thread, we all know what you're talking about, but that's why I asked in my first post, because it was unclear from your terminology :wink:
is there a way to make the text on them transparent? I know one of those plugins may be able to do that, but I would like to know which one before hand.
Any of them, including the default engine.

If you're using the default engine, you could use a plugin that allows escape codes to be used anywhere, in conjunction with Panda's text opacity and rename your commands with escape codes. Or, of course, you could find the function that prints the command list and make a plugin that edits that with opacity commands.

I am really not conversant with SRD's HUDMaker, but it has a whole interface for constructing your display and it might have settings for opacity built into that - best to look at instructions/videos for it to get a better idea.

MOGHunter (and, as far as I know, Luna Engine) are graphically constructed - that is, anything displayed as a button on the screen is actually an image that you designed externally. So you would simply make your command icons in GIMP or whatever using whatever color and opacity settings you liked for the text.

Also, is it possible to increase the distance between those buttons? I don't really want them to be touching.
Any of the HUD design plugins I mentioned would put the stuff where you want, so...obviously, yes :stickytongue: If you're preferring to just make minor modifications to the default layout, then you'd find the functions that draw and create the layout for that window in the battle scene, and edit the Y-spacing.
And finally, there is usually a blue glow when you hover over a button. Is there a way to change the color of it?
The cursor is defined in the WindowSkin file. The specs for that are conspicuously absent from the MV help file, but you can easily find them if you do a Google for it. If you want to replace it throughout your game, there are tons of windowskins that people have made all over the forums and the DLC shop (or you edit it yourself).

If you want to make it look different just in your battles, you'd have to find the code that displays it and add checks for the battle scene that grab the cursor image from a different file.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Plugin Requests. Thank you.

ZinoAkumura

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
If you're using the default engine, you could use a plugin that allows escape codes to be used anywhere, in conjunction with Panda's text opacity and rename your commands with escape codes. Or, of course, you could find the function that prints the command list and make a plugin that edits that with opacity commands.

Honestly, I think I got everything except this. I am new to using rpg maker so I don't know what almost any of this means. I have no idea what escape codes are, or how to really do anything you just mentioned. Hell, I can't even find any plugins that allow escape codes anywhere. Could you perhaps elaborate on this a tad more please.

ZinoAkumura

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Alright, by some miracle I've figured this out. But now I'm actually kinda confused on the whole WindowSkin bit. When you said theres a windowskin file I assumed that would mean that theres a WindowSkin file in the game files, and I may be blind but I have not found that. And also, when I do try to search for WindowSkins like you said, I just get results for like window borders, when I want to change the blue glow when you hover over like a dialogue option in game or something.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Instead of double-posting, you can click the edit button if you need to add something to a post.
Honestly, I think I got everything except this. I am new to using rpg maker so I don't know what almost any of this means. I have no idea what escape codes are, or how to really do anything you just mentioned.
It's very common advice to do the MV tutorial and some of the advanced ones on YouTube using a dummy game before you actually try to make what you want. Escape codes are a very basic part of using the Show Text box - click into that and just hover your mouse over the text input box and a list of them will pop up.
Hell, I can't even find any plugins that allow escape codes anywhere. Could you perhaps elaborate on this a tad more please.
Not to be snarky, but...the plugin that allows escape codes in all windows is the first result for me.
Alright, by some miracle I've figured this out. But now I'm actually kinda confused on the whole WindowSkin bit. When you said theres a windowskin file I assumed that would mean that theres a WindowSkin file in the game files
There is. Your project\img\system\Window.png. Again, this comes right up with a simple search.
And also, when I do try to search for WindowSkins like you said, I just get results for like window borders, when I want to change the blue glow when you hover over like a dialogue option in game or something.
Again...as I said in my prior post, that is a part of the window skin file. If you were to, say, do a Google for "RPG Maker MV windowskin format" you would find many threads and YouTube videos detailing the format of the image and how to make them - the cursor is the left half of the section below the arrows and border.

That's everything you asked about for now! There's nothing wrong with needing to ask questions, and I and others on these boards are happy to help out newbies, but a lot of this would've been faster for you to look up existing material instead of just asking and waiting for a response :wink:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Monday morning, and the sudden message: Hey, can you set up a full second lesson about pixel art till tomorrow?
No one:
Steam game achievement: "Die 100 times in easy mode".
I want to learn Javascript to create a custom menu, but I don't really know where to start.
One uncomfortable truth that has withstood the test of time, is how most people will stand by while they see a crime happening, unless it's illegal to stand by. We probably wouldn't have stories about "special heroes" or games about heroes if the "everyday common folk" were largely capable of being heroes. Heroes face dangers that most people are not willing to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
umememe