DoctorArtist

Time Splicer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I seem to be having difficulty making an event in-battle. 

Idea: when your entire party has fallen, your screen will fade to white and give you two options: "I give up..." or "I'm not done yet!". Picking the first option makes the game end, since, you know, your party is completely wiped out. 
But picking "I'm not done yet!" removes all party members, brings in a more powerful character to replace them, and the screen fades back in to regular coloring showing your members have disappeared to be replaced by some mystery guy who's taking over the fight for you. 

And yes, of course, before this specific fight, I have my party members state changed to "Immortal", so that when they reach 0% health, the game doesn't automatically end right then and there.

Now, the problem is that I only have the option to have this event occur when ONE character goes down to 0% HP.

This is what I have it set up as right now, because this is all I know how to do at the moment:

Battle Event: 

Condition: Actor [sullivan]'s HP 0% or below

Fadeout BGM: 4 sec.

Tint Screen: (255,255,255,255), @30, Wait

Show Choices: I'm not done yet!, I give up...

:  @> When [i'm not done yet!]

@> Play BGM: [Dramatic Battle Change]

@> Change Party Member: Remove [sullivan]

@> Change Party Member: Remove [Jake]

@> Change Party Member: Remove [Lux]

@> Change Party Member: Add [Lord Sain]

@> Tint Screen: (0,0,0,0), @30

@> Text: -, -, Normal, Bottom

:          : "I'll help. You all get out of here, I'll take it from here!"

@>

:  When [i give up...]

@> Fadeout Screen

@> Tint Screen: (0,0,0,0), @1, Wait

@> Game Over

@> Fadein Screen

@>

:  Branch End
So my question is: 

In battle, like the event above, is it possible to have this event happen when YOUR ENTIRE PARTY's health = 0% or lower, rather than just one character? Is this possible as a conditional branch somehow? Is this possible as a common event call, even? 

Chiakscare

Resident Tifaholic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
In theory, you could bind each Party Member's HP to a separate Variable, and the Conditional Branch would have all those Variables checked to equal zero

immatx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So my question is: 

In battle, like the event above, is it possible to have this event happen when YOUR ENTIRE PARTY's health = 0% or lower, rather than just one character? Is this possible as a conditional branch somehow? Is this possible as a common event call, even? 
Make a battle event in each custom battle with the setting 'continue even when loser' and then add in the whiteout and choice option.

- Edit -

Completely forgot that that option was only for scripted/boss battles

Last edited by a moderator:

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Be careful - setting your characters to "Immortal" will mean they can keep fighting even while their HP is zero.  This is something you'd be better off scripting as part of the "judge_win_loss" method in BattleManager.

DoctorArtist

Time Splicer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Make a battle event in each custom battle with the setting 'continue even when loser' and then add in the whiteout and choice option.

- Edit -

Completely forgot that that option was only for scripted/boss battles
No no, you're right on the ball there, this little set up I'm making is only for very specific scripted/boss battles of my making, so the plan was to have this kind of thing occur within the battle, rather than to exit the battle entirely and into another scene. 

Be careful - setting your characters to "Immortal" will mean they can keep fighting even while their HP is zero.  This is something you'd be better off scripting as part of the "judge_win_loss" method in BattleManager.
I'm understanding of that, actually, and I was working so that the "keep fighting" wouldn't actually occur. My fix to that was to have the fade-to-white effect within the battle, and then taking those members out of the battle and inserting someone else, so that you couldn't fight with the immortals when it faded back in. I've been experimenting with the in-battle scene stuff, and I was able to make it so that you couldn't fight during this kind of scene.

In theory, you could bind each Party Member's HP to a separate Variable, and the Conditional Branch would have all those Variables checked to equal zero
I'm a little confused on that part, forgive me, I'm still a tad bit new to this. I thought Conditional Branches could only check one thing at a time? 

immatx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
No no, you're right on the ball there, this little set up I'm making is only for very specific scripted/boss battles of my making, so the plan was to have this kind of thing occur within the battle, rather than to exit the battle entirely and into another scene.
So this is only for a boss battle and not for random encounters? In that case that would work in theory, however if you want the other character to take over in the middle of the battle then I don't think that it will work.

- Edit -

I got it to work, I'm just gonna test it a few more times to make sure it wasn't a coincidence then I'll upload it.

DoctorArtist

Time Splicer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So this is only for a boss battle and not for random encounters? In that case that would work in theory, however if you want the other character to take over in the middle of the battle then I don't think that it will work.
Correctamundo, indeed it will NOT occur in a random encounter. 

In the mean time, I'll continue to experiment a little more, hopefully not giving up on this. 

P.S. Did you ever play Kingdom Hearts 2? The premise is the same when it comes to the "Mickey Saves" event in some of the boss battles. You die, fades to white, rare option of "I'm not ready!" and "I give up...", and when you click the first choice, out of the blue Mickey Mouse comes out of nowhere to finish your battle while you're in a corner, completely knocked out. 

Example (from 1:47 to 2:00): 

Edit - Just saw YOUR edit, I'm kind of excited you might of got it, honestly! I really REALLY hope so!

Edit 2: Meant to put "ever", not "even", sorry if that made me sound like a jerk! D:

immatx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I think I figured it our. If I made a mistake or misunderstood what you were asking let me know and I'll fix it.

Anyways, I did an event that when clicked started the battle, so basically this started the 'boss battle'. All I had in that event was 'set state -> party = immortal', just like what you had set up. Then I did battle processing with the troop I used (default slime).

I made a custom 'death state' (copy and paste into state #26), just so that it wouldn't be a game over as soon as everyone died, I don't like editing scripts so it was easier.

Battle Events

Event 1:

Screenshot%2B%25281%2529.png
Event 2:

Screenshot%2B%25282%2529.png
Event 3:

Screenshot%2B%25283%2529.png
Event 4:

Screenshot%2B%25284%2529.png
Event 4 is just the stuff you wrote above for your event. I hope this works for you!

You can add in more actors by giving them their own 'death' page (pages 1 and 2), and then adding in a conditional branch inside the conditional in page 3 (the one for Natalie being dead).

P.S. No, I've never played it before.

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

Reactions: BCj

Chiakscare

Resident Tifaholic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Nice work; you taught me some things. ^.^

DoctorArtist

Time Splicer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think I figured it our. If I made a mistake or misunderstood what you were asking let me know and I'll fix it.

Anyways, I did an event that when clicked started the battle, so basically this started the 'boss battle'. All I had in that event was 'set state -> party = immortal', just like what you had set up. Then I did battle processing with the troop I used (default slime).

I made a custom 'death state' (copy and paste into state #26), just so that it wouldn't be a game over as soon as everyone died, I don't like editing scripts so it was easier.

Battle Events

Event 1:

Event 2:

Event 3:

Event 4:

Event 4 is just the stuff you wrote above for your event. I hope this works for you!

You can add in more actors by giving them their own 'death' page (pages 1 and 2), and then adding in a conditional branch inside the first (the one for Natalie being dead).

This definitely seems like it would work! Thank you! Let me go check it out before I mark this as Solved, because I'm actually working with a four-member party, so...definitely have to put more work into it than with only two members. Oh boy...(sweatdrop) I'll get back to you! 

immatx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This definitely seems like it would work! Thank you! Let me go check it out before I mark this as Solved, because I'm actually working with a four-member party, so...definitely have to put more work into it than with only two members. Oh boy...(sweatdrop) I'll get back to you! 
Is it going to be a permanent 4 members or will there be more then 4 and then you can choose your party? Because if its the second one I'll probably have to change a couple things so that its not going off of someone's HP who isn't even in the battle.

salexing

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You could set up a loop, followed by a conditional branch that asks if Actor1 hp =0, if yes do another branch to see if Actor2 hp =0, if no then hit loop again.  Of course this assumes you only have a limited party at this point, but even then you could work it out to kill all non-battle party members before the battle starts, a pretty simple thing tbh.

DoctorArtist

Time Splicer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Is it going to be a permanent 4 members or will there be more then 4 and then you can choose your party? Because if its the second one I'll probably have to change a couple things so that its not going off of someone's HP who isn't even in the battle.
Alright, so an insight to the game. :)

Occasionally, a party member might "disappear", that is to say, they will leave the party to do something else (long story, PM me if you want to know why they do that). During these instances, a "guest member" might come around and take advantage of that open slot. In the end though, guest character ends up leaving at some point, and then low-and-behold, Party Member #4 comes back to take her old spot. On RARE occasion will it ever be 4 + Guest. 

Thinking on that, I'd say that the original plan will STILL work just fine if I was to code the event for only the four main characters. Think of it as an easter egg: if all four main characters are in your main party, you'll have the ability to be saved in certain boss fights. (and out of, oh, maybe sixteen bosses or so, only five will have this event put in). 

So in short:

1) The four "permanent" main characters are the target of this eventing style. 

2) The removal of one character or the switch of one means nothing to me, and will just simply disconnect the event from happening, which is perfectly okay with me. 

2.5) HOWEVER, of those five SPECIFIC bosses, the Perma-Characters will be in the party NO MATTER WHAT. So, in a really REALLY shorter way of saying this...

You don't have to worry about a character disappearing if it'll be a sort of easter egg. :) But yes, I am applying this to the Perma-Characters ONLY.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't read through the whole thread, but if you can get a page that will execute after each turn (that would run after each attack on any party member), you could use the following in a conditional branch:

Script: $game_party.members.select{|actor| actor.hp == 0}.size == $game_party.members.sizeWhatever is within the 'true' block of that conditional branch would be executed when everyone in the battle party has 0 HP (this would not inflict the death state, so if you wanted that, you'd need to do that inside the block too)
Might be a bit shorter than the idea you have planned, if you can get it to trigger at the appropriate time.

immatx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So in short:

1) The four "permanent" main characters are the target of this eventing style. 

2) The removal of one character or the switch of one means nothing to me, and will just simply disconnect the event from happening, which is perfectly okay with me. 

2.5) HOWEVER, of those five SPECIFIC bosses, the Perma-Characters will be in the party NO MATTER WHAT. So, in a really REALLY shorter way of saying this...

You don't have to worry about a character disappearing if it'll be a sort of easter egg. :) But yes, I am applying this to the Perma-Characters ONLY.
Ok, I'm glad what I did worked :) . You might want to try what Shaz suggested because it looks like it would be a lot easier, as long as it gives off the same result.

DoctorArtist

Time Splicer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I haven't read through the whole thread, but if you can get a page that will execute after each turn (that would run after each attack on any party member), you could use the following in a conditional branch:

Script: $game_party.members.select{|actor| actor.hp == 0}.size == $game_party.members.sizeWhatever is within the 'true' block of that conditional branch would be executed when everyone in the battle party has 0 HP (this would not inflict the death state, so if you wanted that, you'd need to do that inside the block too)Might be a bit shorter than the idea you have planned, if you can get it to trigger at the appropriate time.
I feel sort of dumb right now, but which area in the script you gave me should I edit? I received an error when imputing it, so I definitely feel I'm in need of changing something..."actor"? "size"? One of those two, or both? 

And no death state is needed, although for the icon at least, I got the idea from immatx that I should make a second version of the death state and utilize that in this case. 

Ok, I'm glad what I did worked :) . You might want to try what Shaz suggested because it looks like it would be a lot easier, as long as it gives off the same result.
Indeed! And I'm going to try to figure that out right now, otherwise, back to you

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You don't edit in the script. This is a Conditional Branch in your troop tab. Bottom of page 4 of Conditional Branch command.

DoctorArtist

Time Splicer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You don't edit in the script. This is a Conditional Branch in your troop tab. Bottom of page 4 of Conditional Branch command.
Alright, got that set up. Erm...but it doesn't seem to do what I need, sadly. The enemy just sort of keeps going at me despite my inability to move. Do I have it set right? 

Battle Event Scripting.png
Question, based on immatx's "Event Page 3", do I still have to set it up in that way? Because with four characters, I would in theory have to make it like...

A Control Switch for the combinations of possible death paths before finally reaching the entire party. Switches For Alternate Battle.png

which is what I was doing previously before you posted. Do I continue that way or...? Also, I have immatx's "Event Page 1 and 2" but a 3 and 4 for the second and third character. But as you can see, instead of just "Character 1 + 2", I'm thinking I have to do "C1+2", "C1+3", "C1+4", "C2+1", C2+3", etc, and then C1+2+3, C1+2+4, C1+3+4, etc. All the possibilities of who goes out first, rather than just two characters in that order. It is SO much easier with two characters, it seems. 

I'm really sorry for not getting this very fast, I don't know where my brain is today...

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You have the trigger set to Don't Run. That means it won't run. Change it to Turn or something instead.

DoctorArtist

Time Splicer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

Script: $game_party.members.select{|actor| actor.hp == 0}.size == $game_party.members.sizeWhatever is within the 'true' block of that conditional branch would be executed when everyone in the battle party has 0 HP (this would not inflict the death state, so if you wanted that, you'd need to do that inside the block too)

Might be a bit shorter than the idea you have planned, if you can get it to trigger at the appropriate time.

Battle Events

Event 1:

Event 2:

Event 3:

Event 4:

You can add in more actors by giving them their own 'death' page (pages 1 and 2), and then adding in a conditional branch inside the conditional in page 3 (the one for Natalie being dead).

SOLVED THANKS TO YOU TWO! I can't thank you two enough, without your help, I might very well have never been able to figure this out, especially alone. THANK YOU!

(had to input the "mark as solved" on a quote from both the answers so I could include both answers, since they go hand in hand)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

me: “I’m gonna take a break from game making.”
*five hours later*
me: yeah okay fine I needed to redo that map. Sure.
The OFFICIAL RPG Maker Discord Server is Here | RPG Maker News #116

And the time has come for me to enjoy a good cup of hot cocoa before I sleep... Strangely, that actually helps.
If I ever need to stay up late working on projects, I always get tired. Do you guys think I should try G-Fuel to keep me up and focused at night? And if so, what flavor is best?
I do tend to be quite a night owl.
"Same as it ever was. Same as it ever was. Same as it... EVER was."
Ugh. This update is taking so long that I'm starting to run out of topics for the weekly blogs that I was making to make up for the fact that it was taking so long to begin with!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raffa2k