Battle Formations - Breath of Fire series style!

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by Ninakoru, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Ninakoru

Ninakoru Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Intro

The script adds 'battle formations' as are known in the breath of fire series. These battle formations affect the battle party through several boosts and penalties, also have a visual presentation with different character positioning in battle, depending on the current formation.

This type of battle formations adds a new layer of strategy to the battle system, with a different approach row formation system does.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Version and TODO list.

Current Version:

1.0: First version, maybe need some polishing but should be 100% usable and mostly bug-free.

TODO list:

- Full compatibility with a minor integration with Yanfly Party system (especially the option to lock positions or require characters in battle).

- Extend the party maximum to 6 characters (should be easy enough).

- More customization options, possibly some visual customizations for the battle formations screen.

- Maybe some special restrictions by actor, so some formation maybe are only usable if X actor is in battle party.

- Some code refinement. While I am pretty happy with the initial result, Some things left there bugs me a little (there's some weird image load behavior for instance).

- Maybe some plugin commands?

Tech Specs

This script requires version 1.5 of RPG Maker of greater in order to use it properly, as makes heavy use of advanced configuration options only available from this version onwards.

This script is standalone (no plugin dependencies) and plug & play (no need for new game to its full use). The performance should be excellent (no lag due to the extra processing).

Should be placed before any plugin that may alter the battle system (so the positioning takes effect).

The script is fully configurable inside the RPG Maker program through the plugin manager parameters. All parameters have a help text indicating what
    they affect.

Most texts are fully customizable using the formatting options available in text windows and any text window plugin extension.

There are 10 formations as default, you can configure up to 20 formations. The states should be reviewed, however (they should at least exist).

Should be highly compatible with most plugins, as in practice only alter the party positioning in battle, the max battle characters, and adds a permanent state to battlers dynamically.

Details

This option will be only available through the menu screen options, and can optionally replace the "Formation" option.

If the default formation menu option is disabled, 'battle formation' option will also be affected.

These formations will position your characters in battle at specific points, and will also add a state permanently to each battle party member.

Through states, you can change any parameter using state traits and any plugin that add custom traits to states (IE: Magic Element Augments, Critical Damage).

Formations can be either always available, or you can turn them On/Off using a switch. Formations only apply to a number of party characters, so a formation of 3 characters will be only usable if you have exactly three battle characters.

If you didn't configure a formation for the current number of battle characters, there's a default "None" formation that will apply default positioning and no states.

On the 'party setup' option, you can modify current battle members, taking members to the reserve if you want to. This is optional as you can restrict the 'party setup' to only swap characters.

When you add or remove a character to the party, formations are checked and possibly reset if the max number of battle characters has changed. The default formation at that moment will be the first formation valid for the number of characters (not switched off).

Thanks

This is my first serious plugin, took me lots of hours to get here. I have to thank Yanfly immensely, looking at their plugins saved me a lot of trial and error, also helped me out to get some good programming practices in this framework.

2. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looks good on paper and should be a good fit for one of my projects (Bhavacakra Adv). Too late for original Bhavacakra though.

I will consider using it. It doesn't change the party formation on map, does it? I ask because I need a fixed leader on map.

3. Ninakoru

Ninakoru Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yep, order will affect the party on map screen just as the normal formation does, also if you reduce party members on purpose, they're also are reduced on map screen.

IIRC you don't have formation management at all, and you have Maco on first slot and the rest on the order you recruit them, isn't it?

If you wait I finish the yanfly party system integration, you can "Lock" Maco (or anyone as needed) on the first position, that should do the trick, I guess.

4. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No, I don't have it at all because there is no need. As long as Maco is locked as a leader, the rest haven't matter.

I generally try to use as little extra plugin/ parallel common events as possible for smoother play. I have played some massively lagging MV games.

5. Ninakoru

Ninakoru Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'll let you know as soon as you are able to lock a character, it should work great for what are you looking for.

No worries, this plugin is really lightweight, I have an old PC (decent for gaming but the processor is a bit lacking), and also suffered slow Maker games due to plugin/event bloat. Just try it, you don't need to configure anything for a quick test, and you'll see the battle formation screen load fast and the plugin doesn't affect game performance at all.

6. Neo Soul Gamer

Neo Soul Gamer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This is some solid work! I had plans on using this feature in my game before I even started making it, so this is nice to see.

7. 99potions

99potions Dems Pixels Doe Member

First Language:
    English
    This has to be one of the most useful plugins I have come across in a long time. I have always wanted to make a battle system based around party positioning and this is perfect.

8. Radis3D

Radis3D Just a Devilz Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    waiting for compatibility with YEP :3
    yeah, battle with formation and positioning, finally come true.. :3

-YS- and 99potions like this.
  9. -YS-

-YS- Veteran Veteran

Halo dis, what plugin of Yanfly not compatible with this?

10. Ninakoru

Ninakoru Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Actually is somewhat compatible with yanfly party plugin (wont break), but is not integrated, so you should use either this features of yanfly's party ones ATM.

11. jessee_p

jessee_p Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Can't wait to use this, but I get "Maximum Call Stack Size Exceeded" error at "New Game". Only when I use Yanfly's party system plug in. Looks like you're already working on this though. *waits patiently* :)

12. Waterguy

Waterguy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Ninakoru

Oh man, I really want to use this plugin, but it seems to be limited to 4 battlers max (my game sometimes has a 5th guest battler), and 20 formations max...

I really want to use it, but want to add so many things myself...
    Do you mind if I make my own version? I'll make sure to give you credit!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  13. Neo Soul Gamer

Neo Soul Gamer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Waterguy Been following this topic waiting for updates to this plugin. If you do something with this, I'll be bugging you for progress updates. XD

14. Ninakoru

Ninakoru Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi, I didn't touch this plugin again, but should be stable anyways.

15. jessee_p

jessee_p Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey man, I'm looking for a 5 party solution as well. I'd be keen to use your's when you're done.

16. Boonty

Boonty Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A very nice plugin ! Did you improve it ? (More battlers, plugin commands to add/remove formations)

17. definite_lee

definite_lee Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Can you change battle formations in the middle of battle?

18. Waterguy

Waterguy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ah right, forgot to tell you guys (and add to my topic), I think I finished my version of it.
    Hope you guys like it.
    I based it heavily on Ninakoru's, but made it compatible with Yanfly's Party Manager. But also made you able to change the party size even without it.
    Put it under the yanfly plugins.
    I should add it to my own topic...

Boonty likes this.