Battle Item with Random Effect Help

IAmVianca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
So, I have made an item called the "Lady Luck's Bottle".

What this basically is is an item that has random healing effect.

I know, in theory, how to make the randoming effect part (Variable set to a random operand between the number of effects I have in mind, then set up a conditional branch that checks the value of the variable). My conundrum stems from actually getting to use the item to give the effect I want.

What I mean is that how do I event it so that if variable = 1, the users hp will be replenished by 30%, variable = 2, will have the user's hp replenished to 60%, etc,...

I thought about using the "Forced Action" command, but I do not know how to check for who uses the item (since the user is also the target of the healing item).

So, yeah, help with this is much appreciated.

Blindga

Relax and Rethink
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
If you are doing it in the event method, make it where the potion gives the user a dummy state or skill; we'll call it "doLuck". Make it to where this doesn't telegraph in the battle in any way so it doesn't interrupt the battle.

Than, create a random variable. Use a conditional branch to check which effect will be used, then scan the party to see which member has the doLuck. Remove that state, and then perform the skill on the target.

Does that make sense?

IAmVianca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I understand most of it, except the scan which member part.

How do I do that? How do I also get the item user to use the skill if the item user is not the same as the person the item is being used on?

Also, is there no way outside of making a state?

Last edited by a moderator:

Blindga

Relax and Rethink
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
If you make the item run a common event, in the common event use a conditional branch for each party member to check if they have the state. So if you have five members use five conditional branches in the common event that check for the state.

If you don't want to use a state, you can also check the party's skills and create a dummy skill that is learned and unlearned by the item during the procedure.

IAmVianca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
How will I get the item to actually work, though?

I have this set up on the common event part:

And it doesn't work.

For the item I had added into it an effect that adds the LuckyGummyUser state as you suggested.

Blindga

Relax and Rethink
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hm, I might be remembering this wrong, or it may just work differently in VxAce. Let me try something here in a minute; maybe I can come up with an idea.

So I can get it to work in Ace without too many problems, although there is a little issue with who is using the effect, but that would probably take a script to correct. Not a lot of advice I can add I'm afraid. Does the event simply not work at all?

IAmVianca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hm, I might be remembering this wrong, or it may just work differently in VxAce. Let me try something here in a minute; maybe I can come up with an idea.

So I can get it to work in Ace without too many problems, although there is a little issue with who is using the effect, but that would probably take a script to correct. Not a lot of advice I can add I'm afraid. Does the event simply not work at all?

It doesn't give the effect that it should.

The actor uses the item, but nothing happens and I end up having to see a different actor than the one who used the item move as well. (Eg. Actor 1 used the Lucky Gummy item on Actor 2, then Actor 2 ends up taking a turn to use the item the Lucky Gummy transformed into).

Blindga

Relax and Rethink
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Yeah, whoops. I forgot that the maker has force action take the user's turn by default. I used to use scripts that prevented force action from taking a player character's turn and I forgot. It's not going to work correctly without that, and I'm not sure if that exists for MV yet. Although, I imagine it would be an easy script to make.

Don't know if I can add any more than that I'm afraid. The alternative would be to adjust the player's health with a system command instead of a skill and try to cobble it together that way, but it'd be a little off I think.

IAmVianca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yeah, whoops. I forgot that the maker has force action take the user's turn by default. I used to use scripts that prevented force action from taking a player character's turn and I forgot. It's not going to work correctly without that, and I'm not sure if that exists for MV yet. Although, I imagine it would be an easy script to make.

Don't know if I can add any more than that I'm afraid. The alternative would be to adjust the player's health with a system command instead of a skill and try to cobble it together that way, but it'd be a little off I think.

Yeah, I am starting to think this specific item is a little over the top for me to make at the moment. I may give up on it.

Thank you for trying to help though, Blindga. I very much appreciate it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

2nd character based on the same random inputs
the coffee shop i go to for open mic every friday only has 2 more open mics left and then they're done :'( i'm gonna die!
Everytime someone says Intel "kabylake" I hear either baby lake or ladycake.
Either I just had one of those dreams where you think you're awake, or I have time traveled. I woke up at 6:58am this morning, heard my father leaving for work, laid back down, now its 1:16am.
So the overhaul on my project has been going great, I like this version of the project a lot more. It's more contained and less overly ambitious for what I can achieve given my constraints on time, money, and skills in advanced programming. I'm going to wait till my project is mostly finished to begin working UI polish again. I'm going to learn how to use LUNA MV to polish the project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayato7729