Battle not working on mobile: child.removestagereference is not a function

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by jjleroy, Jul 18, 2019.

1. jjleroy

jjleroy I love bananas Veteran

First Language:
    German, English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I'm testing my game in blueStacks (mobile emulator) and everytime I start a battle, I get the following error:

child.removestagereference is not a function

Does anyone know what causes this error or where I could start searching?

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    how do you start your playtest and how do you start the battle?

"is not a function" can have several causes, and one of the most common cause is to load an incompatible savefile after changing plugins.
    The other common cause is usually incompatibility between several different plugins. There are a few more possible causes, but those are all much rarer.

jjleroy likes this.
  3. jjleroy

First Language:
    German, English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you @Andar.

I just figured out that it's caused by YEP Core Engine.
    I made a game demo and started it with nothing but that plugin activated, and this way I get this error.
    I made a simple event to start the battle, then made an android app and started the apk. file in blueStacks.
    So how could I solve this? I can't live without YEP CoreEngine....

Attached Files:

• kzk.png
      kzk.png
      File size:
      80.7 KB
      Views:
  4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The core engine alone cannot cause this.And you didn't answer my question completely: did you start a new game or did you load a saved game when testing?

Assuming you started a new game, first guess would be that the version of the yanfly core that you are using is incompatible with the project core version you're using.

Please go to your project's js folder and open the file rpg_core.js with a text editor (do not doubleclick it). Then tell us the number at the end of the title line (should be line 2)
    Then post a screenshot of your plugin manager so that we can see which version of YEP_CoreEngine.js you've installed.

5. jjleroy

First Language:
    German, English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi Andar, thank you for your help.
    I tried both: Start a new game and try it with my main game.
    In both rpg_core files, there is no number. I made these games with RPG Maker MV Version 1.0.1.1.0.0 and 1.0.0 (which I'm currently using).

Yanfly.Core.version = 1.25.

Now I tried to update my RPG Maker to version 1.5.0, but I got the same error again.... What can I do?

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    you need to update your project, not only your editor.

and yes, no number means 1.0 - which is really bad, the engine wasn't stable until 1.4 and the 1.0 was especially bug-ridden.

Make a backup of your project before following the instructions to update projects that can be found in every official update topic on this forum.
    With that much of a gab between the version numbers it's almost guaranteed to have problems updating before everything runs smoothly again.

Most likely you might have to update other plugins after the project update.

Oh - and if you need more help, please give the screenshot of the plugin manager I asked for - the yanfly core version was only an example, there are a lot of other things that can go wrong and where we need the info from the plugin manager to help.

jjleroy likes this.
  7. jjleroy

First Language:
    German, English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you so much, you were right! I had to update my project too. Now it's running on mobile!!!! Thank you so much for your help!!!!!!

I just get one error in the console which was caused by the update:
    How could I fix this?

Attached Files:

8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    you can't - but it doesn't matter for now.

That message tells you that one of the plugins or something else in the game uses a function that is "deprecated".
    "deprecated" is a programmer term that basically means: This is an old function that we still allow to be used, but we will remove it in a future version of pixi.js
    This doesn't matter as long as you don't switch to that future version of pixi.js (see my comment above about project updates always being manual and needing care if skipping several versions).
    And if you make another project update later to a version that is no longer supporting that old function, then you also need to update the plugin that uses it, because by then the plugin writer (whom this message is targeted at) should have updated his plugin to use the modern function.

And that is why some people stay at older core versions - if they need a plugin that has not yet been updated as needed because the programmer left the community, they can't go up to more modern versions where the old functions are finally removed.