HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I am amply sorry, mods, if this is in the wrong place, you can go ahead and move it if so. 

In my game, I was thinking of having five different battle systems (seems insane, I know, but just let me explain). See, there are some battles where I want the player to have to choose one character to go into battle with, and some where you fight with the whole party. Some of them I think I have an idea for, others, I really don't know. Here's what I'm thinking:

Swordsman - I've made a battle system for him already. It's more or less based on timing. 

Archer - Since she's more of an aggressive type, I figure she should have something fast paced, any thoughts of a good system for her?

Witch - Here's mainly where I'm stuck. I want her battle system to be mainly focused on the use of magic, but I don't know of any battle systems that do that. 

Samurai - I kind of want his to be a bit more strategic, as he's the cunning type. Not really a full on grid - based tactical system, because I feel that would be idiotic to have one character in a tactical battle. Just, somewhat more strategic, less twitchy. 

Whole party - This is basically up in the air. I'm good with any ideas here as long as it isn't too generic and I can see my sprites.   

I'd love to hear your thoughts, and as well, I gotta start coding this, or looking for scripts. Probably the latter to be honest.  

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I agree that trying to create five different, full-fledged, battle systems is madness, but here are some off-the-cuff ideas based on the descriptions of what you want:

• Archer: Fire at stationary and moving targets onscreen to destroy them.
  • Witch: Enemies move toward you with glyphs that represent a certain type of magic; you have to choose a spell of that type of magic and time it so it lands near them.  Maybe some enemies need to be hit with 2 different types of magic at once.
  • Samurai: Strategic, stealthy action battle system where you have to move behind enemies to defeat them.  If they catch you, they hurt you.
  • Whole Party: This could be a good use for a grid-based tactical battle system; each of the four members does very different things in a TBS.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I agree that trying to create five different, full-fledged, battle systems is madness
It probably is, however, it does make sense with what I'm doing. Because after the game I want there to be a "Quick Battle" option where the player can choose any battle system with and against any player. As well, my final battle is going to be split up into all four characters because they all play different roles in defeating the final enemy. Then they'll all come together in the full out battle at the end of it. One more reason is, it kind of matches the personality of the characters and their fighting style. And, it certainly is better than my original idea which was to make a battle system for each boss. 

Archer: Fire at stationary and moving targets onscreen to destroy them.
Could work, though it'd be hard. Don't know how to change the view well enough to do that, but there could be scripts out there that do something along those lines.

Witch: Enemies move toward you with glyphs that represent a certain type of magic; you have to choose a spell of that type of magic and time it so it lands near them.  Maybe some enemies need to be hit with 2 different types of magic at once.
That actually sounds pretty cool. My witch is a water type, but I could definitely make it work with different water spells. 

Samurai: Strategic, stealthy action battle system where you have to move behind enemies to defeat them.  If they catch you, they hurt you.
You summed up my samurai perfectly actually. He can go invisible, so I guess the player would have to decide how his forces could get behind them. 

Whole Party: This could be a good use for a grid-based tactical battle system; each of the four members does very different things in a TBS.
*scratches chin* Hmm. Has potential. I'll see the different tactical systems (haven't looked into them much) and see which ones look appealing.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

zachb wrote on Human_Male's profile.
I know this was months ago, but I don't completely understand the lunatic states program (how you set it up). I just want to apply a stone state (and death) to a character after x amount of time. Can you show me an example of how to set it up?
Wish I could respond to @CraneSoft's latest profile post, but it does remind me. Anyone else out there who likes the Souls series not because of draconian git gud difficulty, but because of its melancholy atmosphere and various cool medieval equips?
I wish I had multiple displays!
one screen feels like using a small table, and the way i usually do things I have a lot of stuff open ...
So annoying !
This one is for all the so-called losers out here :
I like how modern gamers always referring hard games as "The Dark Souls of *Insert Genre*" without ever experiencing a Souls-like game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beldavid