HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
OK, so I had to fight off the urge to make a completely custom battle system for this game because it's for One Map and I really don't want to spend another 5 years trying to come up with something that works. However, there are a lot of battle scripts out there and I tend to get lost in them. MOG had a really good video on his channel for recommended battle systems, but his channel kind of got shut down, so now I can't access the video anymore. So because I'm lazy and indecisive, I'm going to leave it up to the audience to help me decide on a battle system. You don't necessarily need to come up with a specific battle system that exists for Ace, just the type of idea that you think would work. You can reference any games out there that you think have a battle system that would fit. Just make sure to post a video so I know what you're talking about.

So, what I've got is a board game where battles give you dice or pieces to make dice. Going to shops can give you dice or what's called scrolls which become skills. You play as a shepherd girl who fights with a shepherd staff. She's trying to climb a mountain to visit her parents.

Hopefully that's enough info, but let me know if you need more to come up with something.

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Heroscape has an interesting battle system. Each character has a certain number of attack and defense dice, as well as hitpoints. When you attack an enemy, you roll your attack dice, and the number of skulls that show up is your damage. The enemy rolls their defense dice, and the number of shields that shows up cancels out an equal number of skulls. Any skulls left that don't get blocked go through as damage.
Heroscape card:
C50B1F6E-D56F-E112-4C936E2CBA17F4CF.jpg

Ami

World Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i create the prototype of basic battle system by myself,where Attack is a skill. like this:
  • Attack => choose what you have to do for the targets,like attack with bare hands,with weapons or destruction magic
  • Support => like healing magic & support magic
  • Guard => a generic Guard
  • Item =>a generic Items
like this:
Untitled 3.png

Edit: using Yanfly Standard Battle System & Hime Actor Command if you want to know

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So, take this with a grain of salt because I'm kind of doing blue-sky brainstorming and it would probably take a lot more effort to implement this than is worthwhile for a one-map hobby game, but what's really jelling in my mind when I think of a game where you're spending a lot of time with dice, and constructing and upgrading dice, would be a battle system with a Yahtzee-like mechanic where you try to match like symbols on the dice:
  • Each turn, you get three rolls. On your first roll, you roll all of your dice. After seeing your roll, you may "lock" any dice you like, and then re-roll the rest.
  • After your second roll, you may again "lock" any dice you like (and also unlock any dice from the first roll if desired) and once again re-roll any dice that aren't locked.
  • After your third roll, the action your character takes is based on which symbol you have the most of. For example, if you have three attack icons, two defense icons, and one status icon, then the three attack icons are all that matter and the character will attack for, say, 30 damage. Four attack icons might be 50 damage.
    • Be sure to make it really rewarding if the player ever manages to match all the icons!
    • If two or more icons are tied for the most, you could choose one at random, give both effects, or let the player choose between one or the other.
    • Defense icons could provide a Shield that lasts until broken - more defense icons grant a larger shield.
    • Status icons could inflict a status based on the number of icons; for example two inflicts a debuff, three inflicts poison, four inflicts a stun, etc.
    • Definitely make attack icons the most frequent icon on the whole, in order to keep combat moving forward.
    • You could have two different attack icons if you think that would work well - perhaps a weak attack (which would be easier to ramp up with more icons) and a strong attack (which would do a lot of damage in the uncommon case you could roll a lot).
  • Upgrading dice throughout the game could be done by changing the color of individual faces of the die - for example, upgrading a green attack icon to a blue attack icon (which counts the same way toward deciding an action, but boosts your attack by 4 damage whenever it is used in an attack action).
    • I think this would be preferable against giving the player too much control over which faces appear on their dice, as the system becomes less interesting once it's obvious from the start which icon you'll be aiming for each turn.
  • This battle system would probably work best using only single enemies, rather than entire troops of multiple enemies. While targeting mechanics could be implemented to make entire troops possible, I don't think the system would be any better for it.
  • I think this kind of mechanic would be a lot of fun to theme to sheep and trying to roll a "flock" of sheep to aid you in the battle, if that makes any sense in the context of where your game takes place. Just imagine having a stampede of sheep running a scary enemy over! :guffaw:

Getting back to your needs for a one-map game, though... What about using a simple, "standard" battle system that revolves entirely around the use of Scrolls? For a short and variable game (as I'd expect from a one-map game with a board game element), what sticks out to me as the best mechanic would be to have each Scroll be a one-shot item, with lots of different ways to earn and accumulate them along the way. Your character could have two or three "free" actions to use (if you run out of scrolls or don't want to waste them), but their effects should pale in comparison to that of the scrolls.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Those ideas are actually pretty interesting. I actually made a battle system based on @cthulhusquid 's idea, but I think I'll keep those ideas for future reference.

Tech

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Heroscape has an interesting battle system. Each character has a certain number of attack and defense dice, as well as hitpoints. When you attack an enemy, you roll your attack dice, and the number of skulls that show up is your damage. The enemy rolls their defense dice, and the number of shields that shows up cancels out an equal number of skulls. Any skulls left that don't get blocked go through as damage.
Heroscape card:

Armello has a similar system, but includes Night, Day, and Plague die results. Daiurnal characters get an attack bonus during the day (suns), which is reversed for nocturnal characters (moons). Plagued characters gain attack bonus against characters less sick than themselves, which works by stealing their plague die rolls (a dragon's skeleton curled up in a spiral).

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
A system I adapted for an actual board game, or rather I modified a board game. Red Sonja: Hyrkania's Legacy is board game with dice battles.

Basically each enemy has 2 numbers assigned to them. You only roll 4 dice, but you can get bonus dice from gear and/or effects. You try to roll their numbers to kill them..

If they don't die, they roll dice back, trying to get any number you didn't get. Their numbers are treated as bonus dice.

A 1 is a wildcard. You can accumulate "Destiny tokens" that let you reroll all or some of your dice. Also you can get items that grant you additional fixed dice. Like you might have boots that give you an additional die that is always "2".

So each round, you have to decide whether to focus on killing your enemies by matching their dice, or getting a diverse roll yourself. (If, using your gear to help you, you get every number from 1 to 6, then then you have no gaps in your defense and can't be hit that round.)

The advantage of using an actual board game as my practice set up, is I don't have to do a bunch of programming in order to test it.

Just reimagine it, and try again.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Fire-Emblem Style Level Up System, Boost on Class Change, And Animated Arrows | RPG Maker News #115

Why keyboards don't sleep? Because they have two shifts.
I realized a while ago my game was toooo big in scope. even now I wonder am I trying to do too much by myself. and that's after completely changing the format of the game.
Last week at SLC. Cali awaits. TBH I love SLC more than SF.
Back home now. I had a good time, but I had a checkup this morning so I had to come home for that. Now I'm just waiting for my therapist meeting tomorrow...
Decided to work on Wishful Wanda today. Since it's a BFB spinoff game, I decided to make the Huang brothers
Easter eggs! I'm actually pitching this to the BFDI team, btw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sernyx