Not open for further replies.

Phantom77

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am still learning the basics in using RPG Maker MV and right now, I'm learning how to create battles.

I created a boss for the party to battle, but when I try battle testing, for some reason, the boss's physical attacks deals damage to the party, as it should, but the boss's ice spell hits the party, but always deals zero in damage.

Here is a screenshot to show what I have put in. I may have made a mistake or two. Any help with this, is appreciated. Thank you.

Screenshot.png

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Please show screenshots of the skills as well.

When you take screenshots, use Alt+PrintScreen rather than just PrintScreen. This will capture just the window in focus, and leave the background out, which makes the image easier to read without having to click on it or open in another window.

Phantom77

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Please show screenshots of the skills as well.

When you take screenshots, use Alt+PrintScreen rather than just PrintScreen. This will capture just the window in focus, and leave the background out, which makes the image easier to read without having to click on it or open in another window.
Ah! Sorry about that. I will do screenshots that way, then. Here is the screenshot now, showing the skills.

SecondScreenshot.png

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did you use alt+printscreen and then change the canvas size to give it a big, white background? That's no better than capturing the entire screen. I still have to open the image to view it in a readable size.

You have two skills - one that works, and one that doesn't. Please show the screenshot for the other skill as well.

Your damage formula (and this is why I asked for the screenshot to be taken a specific way - I now have to open that in a new window to read it and work in two windows to make this reply) says a.level + a.mat - b.def + 10

a is the enemy. Enemies don't have levels, so this is going to be 0. Unless you have a plugin for enemy levels, which you should probably tell us. a.mat is 30, so this skill will give 40 dmg at most. Who is the target and what is their mdf?

Phantom77

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did you use alt+printscreen and then change the canvas size to give it a big, white background? That's no better than capturing the entire screen. I still have to open the image to view it in a readable size.

You have two skills - one that works, and one that doesn't. Please show the screenshot for the other skill as well.

Your damage formula (and this is why I asked for the screenshot to be taken a specific way - I now have to open that in a new window to read it and work in two windows to make this reply) says a.level + a.mat - b.def + 10

a is the enemy. Enemies don't have levels, so this is going to be 0. Unless you have a plugin for enemy levels, which you should probably tell us. a.mat is 30, so this skill will give 40 dmg at most. Who is the target and what is their mdf?
Sorry. I'm still learning how to properly crop a screenshot image using GIMP.

The target in the boss fight, are the actors controlled by the player. They are level five, and their magic defense is 21 for each of the actors.

And no, I have no plugin for enemy levels. I am using RPG Maker MV, vanilla (latest updated version).

I can provide a screenshot for the physical attack skill (one that works) later, when I figure out how to crop the screenshot image, so there is no white background.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you use Alt+PrintScreen, you will not have to crop the image. My GIMP will default a "new image" size to whatever is in the clipboard, then you just have to paste. I also tested Edit > Paste As > New Image and it also sized correctly.

Ah, I think that may be why it's returning 0. There is no level property for enemies, so the damage formula will result in an error. And there is a failsafe that returns 0 when an error is encountered. I'm guessing that your other skill that works does not use a.level in the damage formula. If that's correct, you just need to rework your formula to use valid properties.

a.level will only work for skills used by your actors.

Phantom77

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you use Alt+PrintScreen, you will not have to crop the image. My GIMP will default a "new image" size to whatever is in the clipboard, then you just have to paste. I also tested Edit > Paste As > New Image and it also sized correctly.

Ah, I think that may be why it's returning 0. There is no level property for enemies, so the damage formula will result in an error. And there is a failsafe that returns 0 when an error is encountered. I'm guessing that your other skill that works does not use a.level in the damage formula. If that's correct, you just need to rework your formula to use valid properties.

a.level will only work for skills used by your actors.
Okay. I did not want to make any changes though to the Skills, because they are general settings for skills.
I thought if I made the change I need to make as you suggest, that this would create an error then, for when my actors use the Ice spell.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just have 2 ice skills - one for enemies, that doesn't use level, and one for actors, that does.

Phantom77

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just have 2 ice skills - one for enemies, that doesn't use level, and one for actors, that does.
I see. So for any spell that I want any enemies and bosses to use, simply have a duplicate of each such spell, only with one of the two copies of each spell, having the edited change that does not use levels.

Should the formula under Damage for enemies be: a.mat - b.mdf + 10? Without the "a.level" in the formula then?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The formula can be whatever you want it to be, as long as it's valid. I assume you only change it because you want it to behave a certain way.

Phantom77

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The formula can be whatever you want it to be, as long as it's valid. I assume you only change it because you want it to behave a certain way.
I'm embarrassed. I found the error I had with the Ice spell, by comparing its formula with the pre-made spells (Fire and Spark).

It works as it's supposed to, now. Thank you for your responses and your help.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just report your first post and let the mods know your issue is solved, and they'll close the thread for you :)

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

// Looks at Elfkisser, realizes he'd have to either install Windows 10 or compile it for Linux
// Didn't install Elfkisser.
Too much effort for a curiosity. :popcorn:
I was just high-fiving myself for all I've learnt in the engine, and how far I've come, only to forget to remove the Immortal state from a semi-scripted battle. Now the enemy never dies and I feel so smart >.>
Playtest your stuff. Always playtest.
just spent FOREVER troubleshooting an issue with my keyboard... turns out the cord was just loose OTL
I count on someone one time, I let them promise something to me, and one week later it's complete silence as I'm completely let down. I hate everything.
Everytime I need to write dialogues I find myself writing new music pieces... what kind of trick is this?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gremter