Battle with one actor at a time.

TheBrogrammer

Arving Startist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello!  I'd like to request a (hopefully) simple script.

It handles how actors are used in battle.  I'd like a script that makes the actors battle the enemy one-on-one. 

Imagine if the heroes in an RPG battled in a line.  The first hero to battle the enemy would be the first in line.  No one else would battle the enemy, until the first hero died. The second hero would then take his place, and so-on until the enemy is defeated or all the heroes have died. 

The closest example I can think of to reference would be Pokemon.  You have a party of 6 Pokemon, but you only use one Pokemon at a time in battle.  In Pokemon, you also have the ability to switch.  I will NOT request a switching feature.  If you wish to program one in so that others may use it, go right ahead, but please make it optional.

Thanks in advance to whoever takes this request!

Last edited by a moderator:

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
You don't need a script to do a version of this. 

If you have your Encounters be Common Events, you can easily modify the Party using Add/Remove Member so only the first Actor is there.  Then use the Battle Processing command to have the now one-member Party battle an enemy.  Then modify the Party after the Battle so the second Actor is present, and have that one-member Party battle a different enemy, and so on.

TheBrogrammer

Arving Startist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the response!

Would you keep the individual actor's equipment if you returned him to the party?  Wouldn't you have to rebattle the enemy every time the lone actor failed?  I'm looking for a system that "sends out" the next actor after the first one died in the same battle.  Also, if you re-arrange the formation of your actors, the common event won't work, because it's tailored for a specific party order.  It does work in theory, but I want to do something different.

Last edited by a moderator:

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
In Battle Processing, if you have "Continue Even When Loser" checked, you will have a branch that says "If Lose"  If the Actor loses the battle, the "If Lose" branch gets executed, so you can have the next Actor do the same battle.  Or you can have the game go to the Game Over screen if that's the last Actor.

The "Continue Even When Loser" checkbox lets you have unwinnable battles, where losing does NOT trigger an automatic Game Over.

What exactly do you want to happen?  The Actors to execute in Formation order?

If so, that wouldn't work with the method I mentioned.

TheBrogrammer

Arving Startist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If you lose the battle, doesn't it automatically take you back to the map?  I could be mistaken though...

I do.  I was planning on the actor order to be an important part of the strategy.  Thanks for the help anyway!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Everything's going to be alright! We're all in this together. <3
Aaaaannd published my game's tech demo. :D

Feel free to download and play it. And give feedback!
Hey everyone, we know that the edit bar is missing. We're working on it. You can talk about it in the announcement here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/forum-errors-missing-edit-bar-etc.132715/
So, explain why we can no longer use BBC code or smilies in our posts? This sparks much sadness...
Are we now stuck with WYSIWYG ? I cannot revert back my posts to good old raw text ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finley