jojoboivin45

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi everyone!

I'm currently making a game that doesn't have any combat in it. The game mostly consists of exploring cities/dungeons and solving puzzles. The thing is, I really like the battlebacks and would love to find another use for them instead of just not using them at all. Does anyone have any ideas for unusual uses of battlebacks, and by extension, the battle system/screen? I tried to do dialogues (like cutscenes) but I didn't manage to make it work, and I also didn't want to redo all the dialogues I wrote already.

Thank you in advance!

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can use them as a background when showing written scenes or scrolling text.

KoldBlood

Innovation from Limitation
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've never tried so I don't know if it would work but you could try using them for the background of dialog scenes in the game. Say you're in a building or cave, you could display the appropriate battleback on screen then run the dialog over it. Adding character busts to each side of the screen for the characters talking would complete this system and give it a nice feel.

I'm away from the editor so I can't test it out but you should be able to just copy/paste the battleback images into the pictures folder for RPG Maker and then use an event command to display them and the busts then just run the dialog as usual. Probably would need some sort of fade in/out before and after the scene to avoid the player seeing images just suddenly popup on the screen and don't forget to remove the images after the conversation.

Not sure about a non-combat use for the battle system. You could probably use it as some sort of puzzle system (like a minigame of sorts) but I don't have any standout ideas at the moment.

jojoboivin45

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KoldBlood That's actually a good idea! I'll try this out, I think it could be a nice addition! Thanks!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

By far, the weirdest flex I've ever seen on the internet is "I don't have the attention span to read what you wrote, but I REALLY want the world to know I don't have that attention span!".
Why... the FACK... do I work in customer service?!?!
Excuse me while I go question allllll my life choices.
DamageEvil_6.png added!
index.php

Sometimes I wonder why I still try and recruit others to help with my games. It never works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alantangyl