Bazaar System

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Yuuta Kirishima, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Yuuta Kirishima

Yuuta Kirishima Software Engineer/Professional Mayonnaise Player Veteran

First Language:
    Engilsh
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What do you guys think about a Bazaar system instead of like regular shops.

A bazaar system in which players sell items to the vendor and all players can buy the items, like a multiplayer marketplace. This can be achieved with moderate difficulty, in fact I'm writing such a system using the GameJolt api in VX ACE. Is this something you would enjoy in a game?

Update: I finished the code and I can say it seems like a nice addition to my game.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2016
  2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Who would the other players be?

3. Yuuta Kirishima

First Language:
    Engilsh
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, the game itself is centered around multiplayer play.

4. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ah, that makes it a lot clearer.

5. AcetheSuperVillain

AcetheSuperVillain Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    American
    Personally, I've never liked interacting with people in video games.  A few jerks can ruin it for everyone.  In the case of a bazaar, this can mean someone selling the Ultimaxcalibur for 1g or a Rusty Rat Hunting Sword for 10,000g.  Putting limitations on jerks can make the games feel strained.  Like if you can only equip the Ultimaxcalibur with a character at lvl100, there's no point in trying to get the sword early.  Even if the jerks and jerk-rules don't mess everything up, players always seem to form these weird little societies for themselves that take a lot of time investment to learn and enter into, which has never appealed to me.  That's why I like good ol' fashion console-style video games to begin with.  

But, I could imagine a world where MMO bazaars could be interesting, and obviously there are a lot of people who are okay with MMO games, so feel free to relegate this to a crabby old man opinion.  See, back in my day, if we wanted to hook up with other players, we had to use a link cable, and this was done face to face mind you, so if they tried to cheat ya, you could give 'em what for, right on the spot.  And we'd do it in 10 feet of snow, because global warming hadn't kicked in yet.  

Yuuta Kirishima and TriceratopsX like this.
  6. Yuuta Kirishima

First Language:
    Engilsh
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @AcetheSuperVillain I really like this reply! I thought about the cheating factor and decided to give every item a set price that it's worth. I got the idea from an old mmo I used to play Wizard101/ So the Ultimaxcalibur is worth 50,000 gold so when you sell it you get 3/4 of the price back immediately, so you would receive 37,500 back, this limit's the cheating. 

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2016
  7. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Yuuta Kirishima Please do not quote whole posts to indicate who you are replying to .  This makes loading the page slow as well as scrolling down especially for those who are accessing this on their phones .  If you want to make it clear who you are answering use the @username convention as I have done with this post .

thanks 

8. Yuuta Kirishima

First Language:
    Engilsh
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Duly noted.