Momonica

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Português
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, I have a project of my own and have no intention of stoping development, but I have a question for the community.

The first rpg maker engine i got was 2k3 early this year, I wanted to get this one because i didn't know if i was indeed going to make a game and was curious more than anything. I only stopped using it because i couldn't find any content about or tutorials (i kinda of learned on my own it was hard, I do not reccomend). There was one but the person stopped doing halfway through it so yeah.

But here's the question: Is it possible for someone to make a good game, having the knowledge they have now and gaining more and more as the years go by, even if the engine is out dated? Is it even worth it?

More importantly: would people be interest in it?

JorgeMaker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Português - BR
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Personally, games made in 2K3 are the ones that attract me the most -maybe it's the visuals, or simply the nostalgia-.
However, 2K3 is not as outdated as you think. The international version of it is relatively recent and there is a specific patch that makes the engine extremely powerful: Maniacs Patch.
The engine even has the plus point that you can create, without extra effort, the lightest and most performing games among all RPG Makers.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When I look for RPG Maker games to play, the engine doesn't play a deciding factor for me. RM2K3 can get tons of stuff done, on par with games made on the modern engines (with the only exception being those that rely very heavily on custom plugins).

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Interested and can be worthwhile, yes. I think the last RM game I played was a 2k3 game. If you're worried about attention it helps a ton if you don't use the default graphics. I think games that use the old engines are pretty interesting, the devs tend to focus more on other things like plot and gameplay, maybe because there's not a billion plugins they're trying to fit in. I'm with Milennin, I don't really care about which engine a game is made with, what matters is if the game catches my attention and is something I think I'd enjoy. I very much enjoy pixel art.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Pretty much as everyone else said. I hate MV as an engine, but I've played a bunch of MV games. 2K3, I don't have any gripes against, so I'm even more likely to play a game in 2K3, LOL. Especially since I like some interesting eventing work which 2K3 games tend to have a lot of.

RivalRamen_Games

Dimensional Drifter
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Game is game!!!
New Project.png
But in all seriousness, does it really matter what engine is used to make the game?? I mean, some of the greatest games are made on different engines, and the same goes for RPG maker games. As long as it's got a good story, relatable characters, and is fun to play, in the end, does the engine really matter?

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Someone just had in their status yesterday that they were playing a 2k3 game and couldn't get it to run without a third party emulator.

I dunno if they were using Windows 10, 11, or something else, but that's a potential concern.

ElCheffe

JRPG Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the engine used to create the game is not really important. If the game itself is fun to play and it runs on the most common operating systems I see no problem.

lesbrarians

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Seconding what everyone else has said, but also, while we, as game devs, often have preferences as to which RM engine we like the most -- the vast majority of the public doesn't! If a player likes indie games, and they like the look and concept of your game, then the engine it was made in isn't gonna matter to them at all.

Momonica

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Português
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Someone just had in their status yesterday that they were playing a 2k3 game and couldn't get it to run without a third party emulator.

I dunno if they were using Windows 10, 11, or something else, but that's a potential concern.
Yes, that is something worth to search more about, thank you i didn't know about that

Lornsteyn

Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well I barely play RPG Maker games, since I dont want to get influenced while working on my own project.
But I will play some If I (ever T.T) finish my games demo and I really dont care which maker is used.
I love the 2k3 RTP, so if the game is interesting enough I would play it.

TheGentlemanLoser

"And when we fall, we will fall together..."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
of course! I was just thinking last night as I revisited something I made like forever ago that there is something satisfying about the basic 2k3 engine, I absolutely can't analyze why or even really put it into words but the movement at that resolution/map size... feels better, basically, I know pretty vague...compared with the basic movement in modern RM engines. The same way movement in some old FPS games (like idk, Blood or other Build engine games) just feels better than the movement in contemporary FPS games.

You're not asking "would you pay for it", though. (Personally, I'd be as likely to purchase a 2k3 game as I would any other RM game, which is to say not at all. This isn't out of some disdain for RM games, it's just I know as a fact there are at least 255 absolutely great and completely free RM games I haven't tried so paying for one seems nonsensical because then I'm neglecting this huge batch of great free ones.)

fizzly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Of course! I love RM2000/2003, because it was my first RM. Also, it's not important on what RM it's made, what is important: game is good or not.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am preaching to the choir and say it doesn't matter what engine you use. Use whatever fits your needs as a game developer. It's like the camera metaphor, "You can take good pictures with a bad camera, but you could also take bad pictures with a good camera.

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
There are a lot of games I really enjoy made with rm2k3, but my computer/graphics card (windows 10, alienware aurora so dunno why) sometimes crashes or runs into problems when running games off this engine. So I tend to stay away for that reason. But I like nostalgic games, so the engine doesn't bother me if it's done well.

MoonBunny

:^)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The most issue I had with a RM2003 game (Space Funeral) was a font issue of it being kind of difficult to read properly, but a helpful post on its GameJolt page resolved that.
But yeah, not too picky about the engine of choice.

Momonica

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Português
Primarily Uses
RMMV
of course! I was just thinking last night as I revisited something I made like forever ago that there is something satisfying about the basic 2k3 engine, I absolutely can't analyze why or even really put it into words but the movement at that resolution/map size... feels better, basically, I know pretty vague...compared with the basic movement in modern RM engines. The same way movement in some old FPS games (like idk, Blood or other Build engine games) just feels better than the movement in contemporary FPS games.

You're not asking "would you pay for it", though. (Personally, I'd be as likely to purchase a 2k3 game as I would any other RM game, which is to say not at all. This isn't out of some disdain for RM games, it's just I know as a fact there are at least 255 absolutely great and completely free RM games I haven't tried so paying for one seems nonsensical because then I'm neglecting this huge batch of great free ones.)
Yes! Exactly! There's some charm in the engine that I think is worth to work with, I also can't explain why:kaoblush:. but I didn't know how the community would react or if there was problems i wasn't aware about. I have no intention of selling any game for now too, and I know the audience for this types of games are the rpg maker community for the most part, I myself wouldn't buy a game

gelboy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Yes!! The engine a game is made in is something I almost never consider when buying/playing.

Hyouryuu-Na

Very very lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Of course! That engine is capable enough to make really good games. Some of the rm games I love a lot were made in rm2k. I'm sure you can put this engine to good use ^^ Also I don't think many people (specially the ones who don't use rm engines themselves) would care what engine is being used as long as the game interests them.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

About the Deer, I had to cut some piece of video due the *swearing* Youtube copyrights issues...
A caveman pokes his head in...
I was listening to songs by Chuck E Cheese's voice actor (Jaret Reddick from Bowling for Soup) when the meds I was taking for my stomach virus apparently stopped working. I can't take my next dose until morning, but it's no use anyway. I'm officially sick again. Of course, I'll definitely take the next dose either way, but it's useless now.
New profile picture! This time, it's representative of my current project.
I suddenly feel like making a game for little kids: a pointless sandbox of cute animals, silly collectibles, and random mini games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpgLord69