Beast Masters

Discussion in 'JS Plugins In Development' started by dbchest, Sep 9, 2017.

1. dbchest

dbchest Beast Master

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Beast Masters
    Author: Derek Chestnut (dbchest)

What is Beast Masters?
    A collection of javascript plugins which modify and / or extend the default functionality of the engine.

What is Beast Masters' high concept?
    A highly polished plugin package that allows developers to make their game(s) function like a popular Pokemon game.

Which game mechanics will be implemented?
    The game mechanics featured in Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green will serve as the backbone of Beast Masters.

Where can I find more information about Beast Masters?
    There is additional information about this project at its official web page.
    **under construction, link will be made available when construction is complete.

How can I support Beast Masters?
    That would mean so much! The support section of the official web page has information on how you can contribute to Beast Masters.
    **under construction, link will be made available when construction is complete.

Author's Notes
    Community support is encouraged.
    Requests for additional features will be taken into consideration.

**If you are excited for Beast Masters, spread the word and provide links to this page!
    **Click here to watch a video demonstrating the current state of the Battle System.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  2. Nutty171

Nutty171 Splish Splosh

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Pokémon Essentials MV Edition? I'm all for it! :)

Black Pagan and dbchest like this.
  3. dbchest

dbchest Beast Master

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Nutty171
    Thank you for participating in the poll!

4. KaBlooZio

KaBlooZio The Blue Magi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    O______________O DO THIS!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THIS NOW!!!

lol, But, Personally, I would like to see other kinds of functionality other than what could be found in a P-mon game....I cant think of anything at the moment but I will be thinking about it while I'm at work, and Id love to make suggestions! :) cant wait to see what you and others will come up with!

EDIT: Actually... I feel kinda silly now, but I voted yes.... but I kinda would like to have some, even small, way to customize the window (beyond the window skin, like where the window appears, maybe a background can be put behind it...stuff like that).

dbchest likes this.
  5. dbchest

dbchest Beast Master

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @KaBlooZio
    I am completely willing to extend on the core features, in time. The first step is to modify and extend the default javascripts so that a solid foundation exists which emulates the default features that appear in Pokemon Fire Red / Leaf Green as closely as possible. After the core programming is finished, I intend to create several plugins which would be entirely optional to developers which would perform the tasks you're asking about.

Also, thanks for participating in the poll!

KaBlooZio and taarna23 like this.
  6. Lihinel

Lihinel Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Hey, nice work!
    Hope you can get the battle system down, thats gonna be a lot of work, but don't let yourself get discuraged.
    And don't hang yourself up on copying the systems 1to1.

dbchest likes this.
  7. dbchest

dbchest Beast Master

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Lihinel
    Thank you for your kind words. I have no concerns regarding the reconstruction of the default battle system; I am confident in my ability to get it done the correct way in a reasonable amount of time.

Truth be told, I am eager to jump into it but professionalism dictates that I do not deviate from my initial work flow plans; I have a small number of tasks to complete before I get into the battle system.

8. VanillaBrocker

VanillaBrocker Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    I voted "yes" on the poll, but the only thing I'd suggest you to add on the Options Menu is a Help Box, explaining what each option does. I remember how hard it was back then to understand what were the functionalities for "Battle Style", for example. :cutesmile:

dbchest likes this.
  9. dbchest

dbchest Beast Master

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @VanillaBrocker
    Thank you for your input! That was a concern of mine as well; that is why I created the poll. Also, I received your personal message and I will organize a response later.

10. HawkZombie

HawkZombie Lord of Shadow

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This looks awesome. I may never use it, but a really good Pokemon-esque game is never a bad thing.

dbchest likes this.
  11. Phinx

Phinx Villager

First Language:
    German
    I voted "No" in the current poll. That is, however, if we are talking about pure looks.
    I'm all in for a system that works like Pokemon, but it doesn't need to look like it. At least not in a 1:1 comparison.

Overall, this looks really great. Are you trying to replicate the system as close as possible, or are you making some tweaks?
    I'd love to see a step away from Game Freaks "One Save per game" policy.

dbchest likes this.
  12. dbchest

dbchest Beast Master

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Phinx
    I thank you for your input. The currently running poll is in fact, referring only to the appearance of the options menu; the screenshot implies that I have already incorporated the majority of relevant features from Pokemon's options menu into the Beast Masters' options menu (battle animation display, battle style select, and windowskin picker). I have not at this time, incorporated any form of control over the text speed of the message window; a feature I have not decided whether to include (perhaps the next poll will help decide) yet.

The very first release of Beast Masters will emulate a Pokemon game as closely as possible, but I would like to re-iterate that I have every intention of following up the release of Beast Masters with additional plugins which will allow developers to "tweak" the features to their individual liking, including a plugin for multiple save states.

taarna23, Nutty171 and Phinx like this.
  13. dbchest

dbchest Beast Master

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you to everyone who participated in the first poll considering the options menu; the poll will be closing in an hour, so if you come across this thread and you haven't voted yet, please feel free to do so.

Edit

Initial post updated to include screen captures of the title screen and the load screen.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    VanillaBrocker likes this.
  14. Nutty171

Nutty171 Splish Splosh

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    *Brain Siren Noises* According to these screenshots, the game screen blurs when you open any menu, except the save menu. Please fix this, it's the little discrepancies that really irk me. :p

15. dbchest

dbchest Beast Master

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    this is because i do not perform the save processing from the menu, but instead i perform it from the map, via common event. this is a very simple modification; something i could look into as one of the post-production plugins that modify the core functionality to an individual's preference.

thanks for your input! consider this noted. :)

16. dbchest

dbchest Beast Master

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE
    the menu status screen is almost complete. all graphics-related functions have been coded and finalized, therefore the screenshot section in initial post has been updated to include a screen capture of the menu status.

let me know what you think. :)

17. Nutty171

Nutty171 Splish Splosh

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looking good, looking good! :)
    Do the images for the menu status screen need to be custom made or are they automatically cropped? I'd prefer custom made. :p

18. dbchest

dbchest Beast Master

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Nutty171
    that's a great question; i created a custom faceset within adobe photoshop using the standard faceset dimensions (576 x 288), and then i cropped the battler images to the size and focal point desired to match the rect used in the menu status script and aligned them to the top of the custom faceset.

i've attached an image to better demonstrate how i approached that; a picture is worth a thousand words.

Beast1.png

Nutty171 likes this.
  19. Nutty171

Nutty171 Splish Splosh

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    These look much wider than normal faces. Not sure I quite understand. :unsure:

20. dbchest

dbchest Beast Master

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    the idea was to avoid unnecessary programming and keep integration as simple as possible; i accomplished that by cropping each image to 144 x 80 and aligning it to the top of a 144 x 144 square (the default face dimensions). by following this design, developers can simply use the face picker in the database like normal for selecting their beast's faces.

the graphics above only appear to be wider than normal. each face is still 144 x 144.

Nutty171 likes this.