Beast Masters

Discussion in 'JS Plugins In Development' started by dbchest, Sep 9, 2017.

1. dbchest

dbchest Beast Master Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    a new poll has been added; feedback is appreciated.
    currently working on the beast summary screen.

2. dbchest

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    like many others on the forum, i will be taking a break from this project to compete in IGMC 2017. production of Beast Masters will resume in November!

3. dbchest

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    now that IGMC 2017 is reaching its conclusion, i am excited to announce that the production of Beast Masters will now resume!

for those of you who are unaware of what Beast Masters is; Beast Masters is a collection of plugins which modify the engine's default behavior to emulate desirable gameplay mechanics featured in pokemon fire red and pokemon leaf green.
    **refer to this thread's initial post for more information.

for those of you who have been tracking the development of Beast Masters; i want to thank you for your continued interest!

the future of Beast Masters:
    i have been contacted by a few members with questions and comments regarding the finer details about Beast Masters. in response to these inquiries, i have decided to launch a patreon campaign so that i may provide a better user experience for those of you who will be using the Beast Master plugin package in your future projects.

the patreon campaign will be launched on or around 11/21/2017. the purpose of the patreon campaign is to provide a better user experience to developers who are developing with the Beast Masters plugin package, by accompanying each plugin with additional quality content, which has been designed and created to target the individual needs and interests of the patron.

if you wish to be contacted with information about the launch of this campaign, or you want a sneak peek at some of the rewards i will be offering to my patrons, you may either pm me here at the forums, or you may express your interest right here in Beast Masters' official development thread.

i am very excited to be moving forward with this project, and i hope that you are excited too!

taarna23 likes this.
  4. Nutty171

Nutty171 Officially a lurker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just to clarify, the base plugins will be available to everybody, right?
    Will specific "side plugin" requests from non-patrons be fulfilled?

5. dbchest

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Nutty171 yes, of course. the entire plugin package will be available to this community free of charge upon completion.

meanwhile, patrons will have special access to each plugin as they become available, for familiarization and implementation into their personal projects; this will assist developers by ensuring they are not overloaded with material all at once. for patrons only, these updates will be accompanied by the working project file and thorough documentation. additional learning material, such as pro-tips on implementation and usage, as well as video tutorials regarding best practices and even the javascript itself will be optional to patrons, as well as a few other really cool rewards.

basically, granting Beast Masters a small patronage will result in greatly reducing the learning curve that will come with developing with the plugin package, by placing everything you need to succeed at your fingertips, while helping to ensure that i have the time and resources to bring you the best possible content.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    VanillaBrocker likes this.
  6. Nutty171

Nutty171 Officially a lurker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There will be a demo project for the finished product, I assume? I don't see how anybody could really do without it, at least not without prior experience with Essentials...

I'm just worrying about this too much, aren't I? >.< Sorry, I've had bad experiences with other people opening patreons.

7. taarna23

taarna23 Marshmallow Princess Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    @dbchest Before you get too deep into the whole Patreon discussion, I just want to point out that because this is not crowdfunding for a particular game project, you will not be able to post links of any form for it here. You can do so on your own webpage, and link your webpage, but that's all.

That aside, I think this is a fantastic project that I think a lot of people are going to want to use... hopefully for more than Pokemon fangames, too!

dbchest likes this.
  8. dbchest

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Nutty171 i intend to create a demo game for the finished project to flaunt its prowess, haha, but it will be just that; a demo game for the plugin package and nothing more.

@taarna23 thank you for your kinds words, and thank you for that information! honestly, i may have made that mistake, had you not said something. i am building a web page currently, so that is the path i will take for that; i have every intention of remaining in good standing with forum policies and general practices.

on a side note:
    i would be thrilled to see developers use Beast Masters to create original content!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  9. PixelMister

PixelMister Halcyon Days - Project Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'd love to see this come to fruition.
    MV needs something like this, to create something different to standard rpg's. Pokemon Essentials is good, but has all the problems that RPG Maker XP has and is limited because of it.

10. dbchest

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @PixelMister you and me both! i have been a fan of two-dimensional, top-down pokemon games for as long as i can remember. my brother and i use to start new games and race to the finish when new versions would hit stores. rpgmaker is an amazing tool for creating video games, but i want to extend its potential so that i can create my own pokemon-esque project of good quality.

p.s. i have received your pm and i will get back to you soon.

11. Joy Diamond

Joy Diamond Talkative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Greetings,

This sounds like a great game & I will want to use parts of it (depending on the license), as I want to write a collectible card game inside RPG Maker MV.

As I come from the open source community, my main concern is:
    • What is the exact text of the license you will use?
    • The open source community for programming tends to use the MIT for new projects. Older projects tend to use the GNU license (which it is why it skewing the graph below).
    • Artistic licenses (for game assets) tend to lean more towards licenses from Creative Commons.
    NOTE: The question on license applies to what you add to the game assets that come with RPG Maker MV -- they of course have their own license which you cannot change.
    Thanks,

Joy Diamond

upload_2017-11-16_14-57-14.png

12. dbchest

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Joy Diamond this is a very good question and it begs some consideration. in the meantime, i would like to thank you for providing me with some excellent reference material, and i want to assure you that i will make licensing information available to the community prior to this project's release.

13. dbchest

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i have not posted about Beast Masters' status for a little while now and i would like to remedy that!

recently, i decided i wanted to launch a patreon campaign for Beast Masters so i might have tangible data regarding the project's current and growing interest among the community and others. i also wanted to make sure i am able to convey the atmosphere of the project to potential patrons and players properly, so i have been hard at work designing a web page to do just that! lastly, i have been rewriting the core plugins to be distributive in the patreon format i have established. as you may imagine, this is a tall order but i love the work involved!

amidst the chaos above, it has been difficult to find time to create new features for Beast Masters. that being said, i was able to squeeze in the controls display feature when beginning a new game in pokemon fire red and leaf green. i have update the first post in this thread with the side by side for this feature, so take a look and let me know what you think!

in other news, the title screen and trainer card side by side images have also been updated to reflect those currently used in the project.

14. PixelMister

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Glad to get a little update.
    Patreon for this type of project might not be the best way forward, but development of the project could be showcased on social media platforms for more recognition. Many RPG Maker users, are probably like myself and cannot afford to support a project on Patreon due to the costs involved, but would still like to use the project. If you were to use Patreon, maybe use it for after the projects completion - for plugins which add additional features which deviate from the Pokemon-based engine.

The new screenshots are brilliant, and I'm happy to see your making the most of the default appearances given in MV. However, I think many people would alter the preset interface with a graphic based one - similarly to how Pokemon Essentials uses loads of image files in place of RPG Maker XP's menus.

Obviously you are distancing yourself from the brand; but maybe you could make generic image files as placeholders?

15. dbchest

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i respect your opinion but i do not want to have a debate about Patreon in this thread; my concern is only to make sure those interested in special access to Beast Masters are aware of how they may get it. that said, if you are interested in hearing more about my decision to host a Patreon campaign, please send me a personal message and i would be happy to reinforce my opinions at length!
    thank you for your kind words! absolutely! in a previous post, i tried to convey that efforts will be made after the initial release of Beast Masters to provide alternative functionality to that which will be made standard. i agree with you ten fold. the actual Beast Masters' game will deviate from RPGMakerMV's standard appearance, so you can definitely expect continued support after the initial release.

16. PixelMister

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Neither do I, I was just giving an opinion - at the end of the day its up to you.

That's great then, as an artist - this would make game development much easier!

Just a question about the systems your developing - will information about each 'beast' be contained within MV's existing database or will an external editor be used or external files loaded through script calls? It's just the external editor in Essentials I often found annoying, and with deployment options more readily available in MV (especially on mobile), it wouldn't be suitable, would it?

If you need any assistance in creating logos and generic gui's, then feel free to ask.
    As I said in PM, i'd like to do anything I can to assist.

17. dbchest

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i expect not; my goal is to integrate Beast Masters into the existing database. no "tools" are currently in the production plan for Beast Masters; if any external applications are to be made in the future, it will be after the initial working release of Beast Masters or by third party developers. i will supply users with a custom data folder with so they may simply drag-and-drop the Beast Masters' database template in a new project.

18. PixelMister

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's great; a much better way of doing things!

19. dbchest

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    thanks! i have updated the trainer card comparison image in the first post. i am finished with the trainer card for the time being; i am satisfied with how it looks currently and i am ready to move onto other systems.

edit

the system is finally beginning to come together again as a whole; i originally coded everything into several plugins organized similarly to the default scripts, but for convenience and to follow the patron layout i have lined up i dissected the entire project and began writing individual plugins for each element so that the system is extremely modular. currently, all plugins are able to perform independently of one another, even though several plugins works together to form a cohesive product.

i am having a lot of fun with this project and i am learning a ton! i hope to see continued interest in Beast Masters!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    VanillaBrocker likes this.
  20. PixelMister

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The new trainer card looks great; good use of the iconset for the badge slots.

I'e already started getting assets ready for it xD