Been feeling a bit down for various reasons

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Long story short, I love the aesthetics of RPG maker games and I've always wanted to make one, but I'm bad at technical things and bad at art, so my main talents are in making concepts and dialogue and characters, etc. So I don't know if I can actually make an RPG Maker game, I just keep getting distracted or overwhelmed. The best option would probably be working with other people, but I'm also... very anxious in general. I'm not sure how to handle any of this.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I get how you feel. I have a lot of social issues myself. But a lot of people on here are really chill, so if you make a project recruitment thread, there will be other people who would be more than happy to help you. Heck, depending on the type of game and my schedule for the next few months, I might even be able to help you.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I get how you feel. I have a lot of social issues myself. But a lot of people on here are really chill, so if you make a project recruitment thread, there will be other people who would be more than happy to help you. Heck, depending on the type of game and my schedule for the next few months, I might even be able to help you.
I see, that could work. I just worry a bunch because my budget would most likely be... zero, so it'd all mostly be a passion project. That's another reason why I hesitate with this sort of thing: the idea of asking people to work for free makes me feel dreadfully rude.

coucassi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You are working for free too, aren't you? You are creating games because it is fun, just like me and a ton of other people around here, I bet. There may be a few alrounders among them, but I suppose most of us aren't able to write dialogue, invent a story, do the coding and scripting, create maps and pixel art and draw characters all at once on a high level.

As HexMozart88 said, a lot of people would be hapyy to help you out, if you come up with an interesting concept or whatever you like to do the most. And that's the reason why they will do the work: They are happy to do so. They are haviing fun. I bet there a lot of awesome mappers out there, who can't write good dialogue. Or coders who can't think of a story they'd believe in. But they all want to make games and it's writers who give them the chance to do so:

No ones wants to open a recruitment thread, saying, 'I have basically no idea what kind of game I what should happen in my game, but I can do some maps'. But the other way around: 'Here's a concept, here's a story, here is some lore and charcters and places I thought of, would anyone be willing to bring this to life?'. This is something only a writer can do, that's what a lot of bored artists who's talents would be wasted otherwise are waiting for ; )

Use your talents,create a cool story and characters and open a recruitment thread! I would love to play a game with a well thought of narrative.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you're dealing with severe (or even moderate) anxiety, it probably wouldn't be wise to take on extra commitment to other people right now - focus more on making sure you're tending to the things you need to do in life, and to maintaining the social relationships that you want to have with your friends and family. Allow game-making to be a hobby for now, unless it's your main career aspiration, and don't push yourself too hard.

With that said, it can be fulfilling and fun to work on the stuff that you enjoy doing, so give yourself the ability to work on your game. If you're getting distracted all the time, set yourself up for success by creating an environment where you are less likely to get distracted. Indie developer (and wonderful game engine tutorial-maker) HeartBeast describes his right-environment process in this video, and I think it's a great plan that you might benefit a lot from. You don't need to do it for as much time as he did - just an hour, six days a week, would be great.

Now, you need to avoid getting overwhelmed or frustrated by the things you're not as good at yet (and just as an aside, be aware that no one is great at everything in game dev - between programming, eventing, scenario design, battle mechanics, databasing, character design, sprite art, tile art, mapping, sound design, narrative writing, dialogue writing, and choreography, most people are only good at one or two or three things and that's perfectly fine!!). Here's what I recommend doing - straight up SKIP the things you don't feel like doing, for now. Add in a placeholder to make sure your game will still run - if you need to do something "technical" like a quick-time sequence or a minigame, for now don't make it; just simply assume the player succeeded and keep building the game and writing the events and dialogue; if you need some piece of art like a gigantic waterfall for a scene to take place in front of, just draw a stick-figure-like mockup of one in MS Paint in 60 seconds, import it into your game, and move on with making the scene's dialogue. Once you've completed all (or most) of your game's structure to a point where it's playable throughout, THEN you can look for people who have different strengths than you to help you round out your project, replacing all the placeholders with the stuff they work on. Having most of your game already done is a great asset when recruiting people because it means that it's unlikely their efforts helping you will go to waste - and it also reduces the pressure on you because you know you're not going to let them down by failing to develop the game that they helped work on.

Stick to that process and I think you'll find game-making to be a really fulfilling hobby that doesn't often trigger your anxiety.

Finally, I just want to recommend meditation as a great tool for dealing with anxiety issues. I have been practicing meditation for about a year (it is something you have to practice, no one is "good at it" right away but everyone can become good at it) and it is wonderfully helpful. My breathing has gotten better and I am better able to calm myself down when I feel overburdened. You wonder at first whether such simple techniques can improve your mind and body health, but they really can. Find a coach if you can, or look up videos if you can't, and make the effort to practice it often.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'd like to second what @Wavelength said. Meditation has been infinitely helpful for me. While I can't exactly push game dev to the backburner (I'm literally in school for it) it might be helpful for you to make a couple of solo projects, then look into a team.

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It is not exactly hard...
  • To create a single map.
  • Put in 2-3 characters.
  • Give them dialogue
  • Give them choices
  • Make objects in the environment interactable
  • and... tell a small story (worth a few minutes of gameplay)
It may not be the game you dream of. But it's a game, and this is where we all have to start from.
Have you done that yet with RPG Maker?

Or even just 5 minute worth of game, overwhelms you?

Dageran

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
How about working WITH someone on a project that's already thought out? :rwink:

Former_Sky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
To add my two cents, make a project that sticks to your strengths. Try to make a visual novel style game with your character and writing skills. Just because its RPG Maker doesn't mean it has to be an rpg.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

2dfloor.png
What a fun tileset I've got here so far!
Minecraft Tiles, Maid Day, Custom Menu, Retry at GameOver, Save in Appdata | RPG Maker News #36

side view special bust.png
Reworking the art for the 'special busts' in important game dialogue. Potentially replacing the more 'dead-on' look of the original:
original.png
Me: Imma work on my game! Let's get some progress done
Me, five minutes later smoking a cigarette: *screams into the void*
Just got back from work... I got to recommend a dish I liked to a group of senior ladies, and they said they'd order it for dessert! What was it? CHURROS! It's one of my favorite desserts at my workplace.
What's your favorite dessert? I'll eat any pastry with cinnamon and sugar, but especially churros. And then there's chocolate... omg, so good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fmoviesfco7