carpg123

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello, so I realized there's no "Quick Button" in MV with respect to making damage formulas for skills and now I'm kind of lost. I know there's a stickied topic about battle formulas but as I was looking through the posts many of the questions and topics were way over my head. Right now I want to start learning how to come up with simple battle formulas and so I pose a question:

I have a skill that does "light physical damage" to a target. How do I express this properly using math? I have an idea:

(100 + a.atk) - (b.def)

But since I assigned a "physical element" to the skill is there a way to translate that into the formula? Are there variables that represent elemental resistances? For example:

(100 + a.atk) - (b.def + b.physical resistance)

So in this way the damage it deals depends on both the target's defense value and physical resistance value.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tycho X

Rampant AI
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
think I know what you mean. It's easy; say you set your attack/skill damage type to 'fire', you want fire to deal double damage to Rats. Well. You go to the 'enemies' tab, select 'Rat', and add a value for fire '200%', meaning it will suffer double damage. You could also do say 50%, meaning that enemy is resistant to that attack type. 

Also, when you say 'light physical attack', it's not exactly clear what you mean -  are you saying you want an attack that deals minimal damage? Or is that a new damage type you added? 

If you want less damage, you can alway decrease the initial (100 + X) damage. Or increase it. It's all up to you. If that's not the answer you were looking for, try to be more specific!

carpg123

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes, what I mean by "light physical damage" is physical damage that does a minimal amount.

Oh I see, so the way I make my elemental effects meaningful is by modifying the enemies' resistances. Thank you very much! :)

Tycho X

Rampant AI
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
No problem! If you want your attack to deal light damage to all enemies and you don't want to make them all resistant to 'Physical', then either 1) increase the enemy's defence stat or 2) decrease the attack's damage! I recommend the latter :)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

ScreenShot_7_1_2022_11_41_55.png
When the Panic gauge is full, Mike will turn into Omar in a state of actual panic. his move list changes and until the meter depletes completely, he'll be able make use of this alter ego.
So unbelievably excited for IGMC this year! First public game was for the original one and I'm just so pumped!!
Sometimes I am amazed at how relentless spam bots are. I would clear the que and then see 800~5k more depending on their mood.
Work on UD is already so delayed but I gotta drop everything so that I have something ready for IGMC!
Messed up the chains... :kaoback:
Sw7U8dA.jpg

Character: Jeanne D'Arc from Fate/Apocrypha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qixxi