Beginning a New Game and Need Help knowing where to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zbearwrestler

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello all

I am looking to make a game that will boil down to a series of 3 vs 3 party battles. The mechanic's I am having trouble figuring out are.

Setting up my encounter space. The image that is attached is a rough mockup of how I would like the battle screen to look. The file is another version unsure of

How to set up the game to have a series of continuous encounters.
Would there be a way to show the player their win's and losses from the continuous encounters?

I have made my way through the basic tutorials but I am new to RPG Maker. I've done a lot of programming so that won't be a stopping block for me. I am fine with writing my own scripts just not sure where to look for that.

Thanks

https://flic.kr/p/22jXp85

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
'Tutorials' is where people who have made tutorials they want to share with others can post them.
You seem to have more than one question here, which makes it complicated to move this to the correct forum.

Having a series of continuous encounters is just eventing.
On the third tab of the Event Command Menu, select Battle Processing. Make sure you check the box 'Continue even when loser'. This gives you something that acts like a conditional branch. In the 'If win' put your next Battle Processing Command set up in exactly the same way. In the 'If lose' put your Game Over or whatever it is you want to happen. With the second Battle Processing, just rinse and repeat.

The wins and losses might well need a script, or at least a mod to the default scripts. So...
[move]RGSS3 Script Requests[/move]

On a side issue, in future it would probably be better to upload a screen shot. People don't really want to have to download something just to see a mock up.

zbearwrestler

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks for that new to forums as I haven't used them much appreciate your help pointing me in the right direction. Will fix the screenshot.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For your wins and losses, it occurs to me that this could be part of the eventing structure. I now assume that if you want to count losses, this means that the player can continue even if they lose.
You would need to have 2 variables, one named e.g. Gauntlet Wins, the other Gauntlet Losses. For the sake of this example they are 261 and 262. In Battle Processing, check the box 'Continue Even when loser'

upload_2017-12-13_20-23-24.png
Underneath have the second battle, with exactly the same structure and so for the third, fourth etc.

The only question that comes to mind is - can the player stop the series if they want to?

zbearwrestler

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The idea is that you are debating a peace treaty so the goal is to go through the different articles of the treaty. Each "Battle" Will be a separate article in the treaty.

NeptuneTron

The Salticid Scholar of the North
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could augment Ves's suggestion by using switches instead of variables, with each switch representing each battle. You can set it so that if they lose, the switch for that battle remains off (and later down the line, you can have an option to display that article's makeup based on whether it was a win or a loss with an if-else statement), and if they win, obviously the switch is turned on instead.

As an example, let's say we're battling our way through the Treaty of Versailles. Say we want to set up a battle with French President Clemenceau.
1589002976723.png
We've already got his pre-battle line set up, so now we're ready to set up the battle itself.
1589003049648.png
We set up a Battle Processing call against the French President Georges Clemenceau and specify that the party can lose without restarting, meaning that they can continue to try developing the treaty with the rest of the delegates.
1589003196050.png
This ads a little "if-else" statement into our event, so now we can change what happens if the party won or lost. In this case, we want to specify that if we win the battle, we will turn Switch 1 (which represents the outcome of this battle) on. In "else" segment, we can either specify that Switch 1 will be off, or just leave it alone (as the switch will be off by default).

Now we can go to our events for the other battles, and include similar scripts. For the battle against US President Woodrow Wilson, we use Switch 2. For the battle against British Prime Minister David Lloyd Geord, we use Switch 3. And so on and so forth.

Then, when we have an event that shows the player how well they did, we include if-else statements to show them how they did.
1589003484118.png
So we create a Conditional Branch for Switch 1, which (as we said earlier) represents the outcome of the battle against French President Clemenceau. This switch will only be on if the party won the battle, so we make sure the conditional branch checks that it's looking for that. Then we also add an "else" branch, so that we can have alternate terms, should the party lose the battle.
1589003769077.png
Now our treaty includes results for both if the player was successful (compromise achieved) or if they were unsuccessful (the French get their way in entirety).

If you wanted to have the players fight through several battles all grouped to the same article or objective, you could use something similar to the solution Ves pointed out above. For example, maybe we want the player to have 3 fights against the American delegation, with multiple outcomes based on how many of those fights they won.
1589004118026.png
We start by setting up our battle similarly to how we did it for the French delegation. However, this time, instead of using "Control Switches", we use a Control Variable. We set the variable to the one of interest (in this case, Variable 3, which represents how willing the USA is to compromise). Then, if the battle is won, the compromise level will increase by 1. If they lose, the compromise level doesn't change (or if you're being particularly harsh to your player, maybe it even decreases!).
1589004359112.png
Now we have this little script we can copy for use in 3 different events, or perhaps in 3 different pages. Every time the player wins one of these 3 battles, the USA's compromise score will increase by one (represented by Switch 3), and if they lose, it doesn't change.
1589004485113.png
Now we go back to our event that shows how the player did on the treaty, and add a new if-else statement for how the player did at getting the USA to compromise by winning their battles. This time, we want to make it based on the variable, and not a switch, since our battle changed the variable. With this one, it's important to note that right now, we're measuring if the variable is **equal** to 0 (the case where they didn't win any of the battles against the US delegation).
1589004758734.png
However, since we want to include multiple outcomes, we need to include another if-else statement, nested in the "else" part of the previous one, to check for other possible outcomes of the series of battles. In this example, I'm saying that whether you won 2 battles or only 1 battle, your impact in convincing the American delegation had the same result, though I could have measured these cases separately (this would have required an extra if-else statement to be nested in somewhere later on). Now we just add a line for their impact if they won all battles (that is, had a USA Compromise Level of 3), or if they just won some of the battles.
1589005167064.png
Now our section for the player's feedback includes states for if they won none of the battles (America seeks maximum punishments), if they won some but not all of the battles (limited success), or if they won all of the battles ("Peace without Victory").

Anyhow, that's how I'd do it if it were up to me. If you have more specific questions, please just let me know any time!

Also, I really love this idea of using the battles to represent debates for forming a treaty. It's a really clever use of the mechanics, and a really nifty idea in general. I might have to steal it (with credit, of course) later on...

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

@NeptuneTron, please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

@Black Pagan @Roninator2 OP hasn't been online for two years. I doubt they'll see your posts.

Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Do you have an audio you want me to animate? If so send me the youtube link and I’ll animate it.
Okay, so I'm working on Draft 2 of my game's script.
Will try to keep you guys posted, if you're interested!

This is vid of my new game, Crystalgazers. A demo is available on my Gamejolt

I just thought of the best achievement for my game: "'I Didn't Know You Were a Developer!' Find and enter one or more dev room(s)."
I made this animation to apply to a job, what do you think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Koshibari