ShamlaMurtaza

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
is a powerful story is necessary to make a game environment joyful?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Thank you.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not sure I really get you, honey, but probably not? :kaoswt: Cud you elaborate, please?

Like, if you mean can environments be cool and fun without a great story, then yeah, totally. Like, there's that old banger Elder Scrolls: Morrowind where you cud just ignore the story and romp about in the giant mushroom forest, and that wuz totally joyful to me. :kaoluv:Also, in NetHack, like, the story was basically a single line somewhere, but poopin' around in the dungeons like, never got old!

I think in the former, the environment was nice 'cuz it was so weird and unusual. And in the latter, everything wuz randomised and there was tons of variation in the randomising too, so there were always new things to find.

Soo... if that's what you had in mind, then yeah, no, totally not necessary.

KenKrath

Cutscene Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
is a powerful story is necessary to make a game environment joyful?
Like alice_gristle said I'm not sure I follow.

Wasteland and Shadowrun are two reasons I played a game because of environment and not because of the story.

DQIV has a common environment but I played it more than once because of the story.

arsMori

Drawer of Images
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Like the others, I'm not sure I follow as as well. I don't want to bring out the "it depends" card, but there are games whose "fun factor" focuses more on its mechanics rather than its story. This may be biased, since I like playing a lot of roguelikes and seeing story for them is just a bonus for me.

My top three games (according to Steam) are Terraria, Noita, and Subnautica, and the stories of those three are mostly obtained through snippets in the game (except for Terraria, which I think the lore comes from their forums), yet I have spent multiple hours on those games since I find the tasks in those games fun to me,

TinyRecorder

Tiny Steps & Rainy Stars
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
"Turtle bad save princess"
Super Mario Bro.s timeless classic.

To the Moon, very well received game, if you take away its narrative what are you actually left with?

I think there needs to be a balance, if the story is weaker then you need better gameplay to make up for that, and vice versa.

KawaiiKid

Local Weeb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Some games have amazing stories, others have great gameplay, some have both. Look at darkest dungeon, it has no story to speak of, yet is an amazing game. When you think of games like baldurs gate, or divinity original sin etc, those CRPGs are founded on a certain playstyle, and having amazing stories that people love. But then you have Solasta: Crown of the magister, it has only the most barebones of story but is a well recieved CRPG.

It all depends on how you make the game. You need a strong foundation of at least one of those things to be successful. I'll put it this way though, story is harder to sell than gameplay. If someone is really looking for a good story only, you can find those in other media such as books or movies. Games add another element, and if the gameplay isn't at least somewhat engaging, it is destined to fail.

ShamlaMurtaza

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Not sure I really get you, honey, but probably not? :kaoswt: Cud you elaborate, please?

Like, if you mean can environments be cool and fun without a great story, then yeah, totally. Like, there's that old banger Elder Scrolls: Morrowind where you cud just ignore the story and romp about in the giant mushroom forest, and that wuz totally joyful to me. :kaoluv:Also, in NetHack, like, the story was basically a single line somewhere, but poopin' around in the dungeons like, never got old!

I think in the former, the environment was nice 'cuz it was so weird and unusual. And in the latter, everything wuz randomised and there was tons of variation in the randomising too, so there were always new things to find.

Soo... if that's what you had in mind, then yeah, no, totally not necessary.
thanks for sharing such a precious wordings :ohappy:

Some games have amazing stories, others have great gameplay, some have both. Look at darkest dungeon, it has no story to speak of, yet is an amazing game. When you think of games like baldurs gate, or divinity original sin etc, those CRPGs are founded on a certain playstyle, and having amazing stories that people love. But then you have Solasta: Crown of the magister, it has only the most barebones of story but is a well recieved CRPG.

It all depends on how you make the game. You need a strong foundation of at least one of those things to be successful. I'll put it this way though, story is harder to sell than gameplay. If someone is really looking for a good story only, you can find those in other media such as books or movies. Games add another element, and if the gameplay isn't at least somewhat engaging, it is destined to fail.
i think the game play and games environment are two different things does these two factors leads to a great story behind the game play

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

You know your room is too tiny for how much stuff you have when it gives you literal insomnia. I just cleared a bunch of stuff out and man it feels good!
1670381555475.png
Meet the Kernel. You encounter him in cyberspace. He's important!
I released a test version of my game on itch.io. If anyone wants to check it out, here's the link (for now in Brazilian Portuguese only, sorry).

https://rafael-lobo.itch.io/insolita
Back up your project.
When you open MV to check something while answering a question and accidentally leave it running for 10 hours...yes, that is absolutely time I spent working on my project. >_>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeltaBurst