BERSERK -A Fan Game Based on the Epic Dark Fantasy Manga- (Mature)

Hikari_Jake

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
First of all, I said "Mature" in the title because this game will have a lot of violence and frightening images. Not so much sex, if any at all, so don't worry about that.

Second, this game is going to be absolutely commercial-free. So it'd be ideal if we could make the development process free, as well.

So, for those who don't know what Berserk is: Berserk is a Dark Fantasy/Action/Horror manga starring the protagonist Guts, the "Black Swordsman" (no not Kirito). Guts is a very mysterious, almost antagonistic in appearance kind of character when first introduced; he's not the typical 'perfect,' brash, heroic teenager you'd expect from an action anime or a JRPG. Guts is a man who only wants one thing: the head of a man he used to know named Griffith.

Guts has a scar on the back of his neck called the "Brand" that bleeds whenever a demon, or 'Apostle' is nearby. And this happens to him every night. Every night, he faces hellish, horrifying beasts who want nothing more than to make him and other humans suffer completely and utterly.

But Guts is no ordinary man, as you might expect. Not only does he have a mechanical arm (that is a canon as well as a crossbow), but he wields a huge 400 pound blade of raw iron. If you could even call it a blade. With this weapon, called the "Dragonslayer," the victim will not get cut in half; they will get beaten in half as if they were shot with a canonball going at full force.

Joined by the comedic-relief fairy sidekick Puck, Guts travels the world, feared as the gruesome Black Swordsman who brings evil everywhere he ventures.

What are Guts' true motives? How could this guy be likable? Trust me: read the manga! Literally volumes 4-13 cover what's called the "Golden Age Arc" which is his past, and it is one of the best things I have ever read, manga or otherwise.

With this project, I'd like to tell a sidestory of Guts' and Puck's adventures. It will follow a similar structure as the manga does for a while in which Guts travels the vast open world and slays the demonic apostles in a quest to seek vengeance on Griffith for all that he's done.

This project will use Falcao Pearl ABS Battle System. So there will be no need for battlers. Instead, monster sprites are desperately needed. The monsters in Berserk are not like the typical JRPG. They are terrifying; disturbing, and typically massive in scale. Unfortunately, those of you who like to make cute sprites cannot do so here.

But if you like the horror genre and creating scary monsters, this will be the perfect project for you!

Examples of the kind of monsters that are in Berserk: 

-The God Hand (more like Gods than monsters but they are still enemies): http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/berserk/images/9/90/God_Hand_Manga.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130507111702

-The Sea God: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/berserk/images/5/58/Sea_God_Mouth.png/revision/latest?cb=20110507065728

-Zodd the Immortal: http://i8.mangareader.net/berserk/11/berserk-1557360.jpg

-Others:http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/berserk/images/b/b6/God_Hand_Apostles.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/1000?cb=20120814142553

Hopefully you get the idea. The monster sprites for this game can be completely original and do not have to be as detailed as the pictures above as that would be incredibly difficult to animate.

-So I guess what we will need before anything else for this game will be pixel artists who would be interested in creating epic bosses.

-Next, and this one will be a bit more simple: making Guts' armor match this picture (excluding all of the weapons unless you would like to draw those, as well): http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/berserk/images/0/09/Blackswordsman_2nd_armour.png/revision/latest?cb=20120517155750

-Animators that can animate Guts' actions! (ie. swinging his sword, shooting arrows from his arm, etc)

-Scripters! The game could use prettier menus and huds.

-ANY AND ALL STORY SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME! I've got a very vague idea of what the story could be, but it could always be expanded upon.

-This isn't necessary, but it'll still be greatly appreciated nevertheless: a composer who would like to rearrange pieces from Berserk's anime TV series and movie trilogy OST would be absolutely welcomed in this project.

-And then eventing the move routes and attack patterns of all of the enemies and bosses in the database. I'll do a lot of these, but if anyone else would like to help with this then that would be awesome.

I hope that this project isn't too ambitious. My plan is that the world map will be at least as large as The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, which was a Gameboy title so I think it'll be doable. (World Map for Link's Awakening: http://www.zeldaelements.net/images/games/links_awakening/maps/worldmap.png )

If this game gets all of the teamwork and dedication that it needs, it can truly be an epic action RPG with awesome boss battles based on the masterpiece that is Kentaro Miura's Berserk.

Berserk1.PNG

Berserk2.PNG

Berserk3.PNG

Berserk4.PNG

Berserk5.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

Gauze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Português
Primarily Uses
N/A
Alright! Berserk! Go strong and wild on gore. Put some ugly Power Violence music Maybe,Good luck dude i wait to see the release of the game.

its a shame that you couldnt do it in MV.

blood.png

Hikari_Jake

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Alright! Berserk! Go strong and wild on gore. Put some ugly Power Violence music Maybe,Good luck dude i wait to see the release of the game.

its a shame that you couldnt do it in MV.

Oh don't worry, I will. The game will have lots of blood flying everywhere, and every time you kill an enemy it leaves behind puddle of blood.

The music at the moment is just some tracks from the anime TV series and the movie trilogy OST. But if anyone would like to remix some of the music, that would be greatly appreciated.

I will consider moving to MV once a decent ABS battle system is made for it. But for now, I'll be sticking with VX Ace. If anyone knows of a good ABS system for MV, please let me know!

Also, thanks for the blood >:3

Hikari_Jake

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
UPDATE: I think I'm getting more of a general idea of when this game will take place in the story... it'll be (and this contains spoilers for Berserk volume 27 or so) after Guts gets the Berserker armor and Guts, along with Puck, Schierke, Ivalera, Isidro, Farnese, Serpico, and Casca leave Flora.

So if anyone with the art skills would like to create Guts in his Berserker armor (both with and without the helmet), please feel free to contact me.

Hellpug

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Engililish
Primarily Uses
Oh Lawd, I am so behind on my Berserk to the point where I should re-read it (reading roughly 30 years worth of story is a tad intimidating at the moment.)

I'm interested in making some sprites, I love the creepy monsters in Berserk.

Naxious

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Is this game still in development?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with some Witcher 3! Feel free to drop by!
This forum is a great source of procrastination for me.
Today I read "The mouth speaks what the heart is full of." Simple, and reminds me I have a ton of work to do.
Why are cats so darn cute when their tongues are sticking out? If I did that, it wouldn't have the same effect.
The joy when you see a notification, the down when it's just a unnecessary quote of one of your posts again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlosr