Best Action Battle System (ABS)?

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Requests' started by MushReen, Oct 19, 2017.

1. MushReen

MushReen Gacha Guy Veteran

First Language:
    ID, US
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello!

I'm currently on my side project to make a dungeon crawler game with Action Battle System instead of Turn-Based one.
    I've already got the plugin. It is Quasi ABS and also Quasi Movement. But I found that the plugin doesn't compatible with Yanfly plugins.

So, I'm about to find a new ABS plugin. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

2. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom, Ham of a Hamster Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I find it best to program my own ABS that suits my needs. It's more work, but I've got the ABS fully under my control. Not necessary through scripts, even a mere power of eventing can give you a nice ABS.

3. MushReen

First Language:
    ID, US
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Poryg Ah, programming.
    My best enemy since I got into the vocational school. I'd prefer to technician more than being a programmer.
    But hey, I got an idea. Why don't I use your ABS instead of searching for them?

Or I could make the ABS without plugins? :unsure:

4. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think it'd be an easier solution to search for a replacement to Yanfly's plugins so you can use Quasi's.

5. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @MushReen You can't use mine, because I build it in connection to my projects. I always build it from scratch to suit the project, connecting javascript with eventing and I build it so I can customize it as I need to, meaning it's not anywhere near the state of being publishable.
    However, you can program your own using even only events and it's not that difficult, depending what you want from it, the amount of work is required accordingly though.

6. MushReen

First Language:
    ID, US
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Poryg Teach me how to do it pls senpai. :kaopride:
    I think it's time to kneel down and find a tutor.

Huckabeelovinz likes this.
  7. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Understand that there is no completely finished ABS for MV. ABS is one of THE most difficult things to write, and can easily take years to make. Right now your only choice if you don't want to write one is to make Quasi's one work, or another one of the beta ABS systems out there.

8. MushReen

First Language:
    ID, US
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @bgillisp looks like it's a challenge for me.
    yeah, every projects has their challenges.

9. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @bgillisp Actually, here I have to kind of disagree with you. It is indeed difficult to write an ABS to share with others. However, depending on what you expect from your ABS, the ABS can be simple... Or not so simple. However, the thing is, by integrating it with events, I sacrifice a couple of things and increased hard coding for the sake of simplicity. The pros are obvious, easier work, the cons are that half of it is done inside RM itself, so it's far from publishable :D

@MushReen I will share a little bit with you. Nothing too complicated, although it will consist of some javascript as well. I will keep it as simple as possible however, taking you being a rookie into account.

The simplest ABS consists of several things in terms of preparation.
    distinguishing safe and unsafe location - easy, switch.
    1. Common event or plugin to track input - I would use Yanfly's button common events, because it has plugin commands to rebind keys, which is useful, since it allows me to use Action button for attacking in unsafe location and for interaction in safe location
    2. Common event for setting up safe location set to no trigger, we will call it once time comes
    3. Common event for setting up unsafe location each time you teleport into it - which means reseting hp variables back to 0 and setting up our battle HUD in case we have it turned off (I will not be teaching you how to make battle HUD). We will be setting up through common event only things that can be set universally. Enemy attributes, etc. will be set specifically through each teleport event.
    4. Common events with skills that are called by certain keys, example 1-8 - we will set up the trigger in Yanfly's plugin
    That is all she said.

So for illustration about skills: I want to have a simple ABS. The only skills I can cast are skills that buff me (because projectile skills are much harder to make) and I can only have 1 active buff. Casting any buff is instant and overrides any existing buff. For this I need several common events:
    1. basic attack common event
    2. skill common events
    3. Buff clearance common event
    4. time tracking common event responsible for time limited buffs and ending unsafe location once it is safe

My attack skill will look like this.
    switch Attacking = on
    if hero is facing upwards:
    variable 0001: hero Direction = 8
    move event: player - change Image - slashingUp.png
    else if hero is facing left:
    variable 0001: hero Direction = 4
    move event: player - change image - slashingLeft.png
    else if right
    else
    variable 0001: hero Direction = 2
    change image - slashingDown.png
    After that huge if else chain:

Play Animation: hero, slash 1
    move event: player - I use 4 directions to showcase different phases of slashing, so it's turning 90 degrees left, 180 degrees and 90 degrees right, 180 degrees, then change image: hero standard image. Of course with appropriate waits between them.
    small wait, maybe 0.2s, to prevent myself from being able to just spam the button indefinitely fast.
    switch Attacking = off
    In explanation words my basic attack common event turns on a switch for the duration of slashing and determines the direction he is facing, the rest is visuals. That is because all interaction will be done inside enemy events.

my Atk buff skill, which gives me attack boost of 25% (of the base value) for 5 seconds, will look like this:
    call common event: skill clearance
    Variable 0002: buff timer = 300 (300 frames of a second = 5 seconds, since 1 second has 60 frames)
    variable 0003: buff skill ID = 3 (signal to the ID of the common event I used - a necessity for the skill clearance common event to see what it is supposed to do)
    and now Script command that will allow me to boost the attack.:
    var atkBuff = Math.floor($gameActors.actor(1).paramBase(3)*0.25) // calculating 25% of base attack
    $gameActors.actor(1).atk += atkBuff // in other words 25% of base attack gets added up to the hero's attack
    also, since this value can change anytime, I will need to store it. So I will add another line to the script:
    $gameVariables.setValue (4, atkBuff)

The rest of the atk buff skill would be visuals, so unimportant any further.
    Other buff skills would look similarly. And heal skill is simple.

The skill clearance common event will simply track the value of variable 3 and acts accordingly.
    So:
    if variable 0003 = 3:
    script command:
    $gameActors.actor(1).atk -= $gameVariables.value (4) // resets the attack, now we need to eliminate all traces of the buff being used.
    variable 0003 = 0

For all sorts of buffs there will be a case where the event resets the effect to 0 and the variable 0003 to 0 to signalize no buff is currently in effect.

So now that we have everything set in terms of common events, we will move on to the interaction.
    Now I want the enemy to be able to attack me, but once he attacks me, I want to be able to retaliate. I also want to be able to mash the button. So this means that
    The enemy events will have three pages, first page alive - activation conditions none, second page busy - self switch A on, third page dead - condition - corresponding hp variable greater than or equal to some value

Third page has no effects

Second page has:
    wait for a couple of frames, then turn self switch A off. This prevents the snake from spamming hits without us being able to retaliate and from immediately hurting us once we turn switch Attacking off.

First page: trigger: Hero touch.
    if switch Attacking is not on:
    hero hp decrease
    play animation on hero
    turn self switch A on
    else:
    now you will be grabbing hero's X and Y coordinates, this event's X and Y coordinates and hero's direction to see if hero is facing the right direction. Hero's direction is already set in a variable we set earlier, X and Y coords can be collected through Variable operations.
    So we will be covering four cases:
    When hero's x - event's x = 1, hero's y - event's y = 0 (in other words hero is one square to the right compared to the event)
    When hero's x - event's x = -1, hero's y - event's y = 0 (hero is one square to the left)
    When hero's x - event's x = 0, hero's y - event's y = 1 (hero is one square downwards)
    When hero's x - event's x = 0, hero's y - event's y = -1 (hero is one square upwards)

So let's take for example the first case:
    hero is to the right towards the event, so that means he needs to be facing left, so direction needs to be equal to 4.

if direction is equal to 4:
    flashy hit animation plays on the event
    enemy receives a hit and his variable responsible for HP increases (simple variable operations)
    if he is not dead:
    enemy self switch A turns on
    if he is dead: variable tracking alive enemies decreases by 1 and maybe a message about a drop and a drop.

However, if the direction is not equal to 4:
    flashy hit animation plays on the hero
    hero receives a hit and his HP decreases
    enemy self switch A turns on

Time tracking common event is simple. It is a parallel process common event, trigger switch: Unsafe location
    Wait 1 frame
    if variable 0003 > 0 (in other words a buff is active)
    decrease variable 0002 by 1
    if: alive enemies = 0
    Call common event: Safe location setup (calling common ecent responsible for rebinding our keys for safe locations and optionally eliminating battle hud if we don't want it in peaceful locations

That is all. It is a simple hack and slash with only self buff, but it's enough for a rookie as a study material. I know it's kind of messy, but hopefully you can orientate yourself a bit in it :D
    Even though people say it is difficult to make an ABS, the difficulty actually varies in terms of what you want it to do. If you want a simple hack and slash, there's not too much difficulty in it. It will just not be publishable, because you'll need to hardcode plenty of things to keep it simple. However, depending on the skills you require, the difficulty can go up. Also, this battle system is not universal. It meets the goals I have set here. If I want to have a game where there is not only one hero, this battle system will be useless unless it gets edited. If I want projectile skills, the knowledge hidden in this battle system is not enough, because projectiles are indeed complicated. Debuffs on the enemy are not the easiest, but are doable, even though it would be better to rework the system... Again, to keep it simple.
    And I could continue forever.

Which reminds me... There is no universally best ABS plugin or system. The best system is the one that suits my game. And what I find bad in these 3rd party plugins is A. They are incredibly limited, and B. They are incredibly complicated, which makes for difficult modding. I like to keep things simple, which makes me just make them myself in the end :D

10. MushReen

First Language:
    ID, US
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Poryg Man, that's a lot of things. I'll try to figure it out.
    I was expecting a video tutorial. Sad to know, my English reading skill isn't so fluent.

11. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A video tutorial is in the query of my DIY series ToDo list. So in maybe a month or two it can be ready :D

VitaliaDi likes this.
  12. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Poryg : I think that post actually proves my point though. Even eventing it is well beyond what most people can do starting out, and they will need months if not years to build up that kind of skills (especially if they are coming into this with no programming experience).

13. Poryg

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @bgillisp It is not the easiest thing, that is for sure. But then again, depending on how simple you want it to be, it is complicated accordingly. I made my first ABS with only 14 days worth of experience back then in RM2k3 (and no prior programming knowledge), knowing nothing more than basic commands, switches and variables. It was even simpler than this one and more or less a rip off a computer game's system made by one Czech guy, but I made it alone. But I'm not saying it to show myself off, I'm only disproving your point that ABS is one of the most difficult things out there... Complex ABS are very tricky and programming an AI can be brutal too... But may not.

14. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Poryg : Still, you give that problem to the average CS101 student, 99/100 will fail it. I think you're just in that 1% it comes naturally to.

15. MushReen

First Language:
    ID, US
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @bgillisp I think I can figure this one out. (since he doesn't give me much of a prior programming to do). If I just follow the steps that @Poryg gave to me, it'll work, right?

16. JointLicker

JointLicker Warper Member

First Language:
    Lithuania
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I will buy simple abs plugin if any one share it. I want same battle plugin like Rucoy online.

17. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @JointLicker

Please do not hijack a thread with an unrelated query.

You wanting a plugin like Rucoy online has nothing to do with the OP's question which is particular to their game with their existing plugins.

You can post your own Request thread, but please do not just say "like Rucoy online". Many people will not have played that game and will not have a clue what you are talking about, even if they know the system from some other game. Instead, explain what you want, maybe include a video showing a battle sequence so that people can see what you are looking for.

18. HasdrubalBarca

HasdrubalBarca Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Have you tried to update QABS and QMovement? Quxios discontinued his Quasi series awhile back. I've had no trouble using yanfly's plugins with his except for one small error.

19. JointLicker

JointLicker Warper Member

First Language:
    Lithuania
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Im looking battle plugin like this one game

Attached Files:

20. Extazee

Extazee Elite Shard Hunter Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've been having issues with Yanfly and Quasi as well. The continued QABS that he has works fine with only the small issue that movement is weird. But with Yanfly it gives a LOT of errors everywhere. xD