Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/ Forum Reactor‍
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am not really an avid gamer in Western RPG/MMORPG and not really the experience of how western RPG operated. I heard of the western RPG games, doesn't I understand of how the plots work. You would enlighten me on these subjects. The story aspect of the games like @Dororo said. Let me hear the rant and demystified of western RPGs. It is really complicated for me.
  1. The Elder Scrolls
  2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  3. The Witcher 3
  4. Fallout 3
  5. Skyrim
  6. Mass Effect 2
  7. Morowind
  8. Baldur's Gate
  9. Diablo 2
  10. Other games that I did not exist.
  11. World of Warcraft
  12. Pillars of Eternity
  13. Dead Space 4
  14. Divinity: Original Sin II
Thank you for playing games with passion and your knowledge as well.

Last edited:

Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Planescape:Torment got a very nice and engaging plot, with a more personal and immersive POV than Baldur's Gate, the main character with a detailed background to unveil (not the generical adventurer).

As the worst one, you have plenty of them since late '90, it's quite hard to tell.

KakonComp

Lucid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ostinato
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I feel a lot of people will say Planescape: Torment, which while dated, still provides an awesome experience and an engaging plot; nothing like Torment: Tides of Numenera, which was a chore to read through most of the time.

By the way, you have Skyrim on there twice, which I mean I kind of get, since it's been re-released for every electronic known to man.

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dororo, the Nameless One sees his past incarnations: one practical, one good, and one paranoid. lol
The good, the bad, and the ugly jokes lol.

You basically play the chosen hero, you just get to personalize your hero a lot through choices (to some extent) and build-type.
Now the JRPG and the WRPG become one RPG genre finally.

Last edited:

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Skyrim's plot was pretty cookie-cutter. You were the chosen one and have to save the world. The fun was in how you got there. I would lump most Bethesda titles into the same mold here. You basically play the chosen hero, you just get to personalize your hero a lot through choices (to some extent) and build-type.

The Witcher 3 (and the whole series) has a great story, IMO, the best story of the ones you listed. It has great character development and it feels like they are real people, not just the typical fantasy heroes 'here to help' stuff. The books are great BTW!

When i think WRPG, I'm expecting open-worlds, character customization, and a 'chosen one by destiny' type of storyline. There are of course some deviations from that here and there; but, the hero of destiny storyline is as common in a WRPG as a spikey-haired, androgynous 13 year old dingo-hero is in a JRPG.

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@HumanNinjaToo, Ciri's theme is about parenting about the balance between freedom of the child to make their own decision and intervention when your child is choice is really bad for the long term.

Last edited:

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm not as well-versed in Western RPGs as others, so I can't quite say what the best or worst plot was. For one of my personal "top five games of all time" though, let me propose my thesis on...

Best Western RPG Plot: Fallout 1
I agree with @HumanNinjaToo with Bethesda plotlines being cookie-cutter affairs. However, there was no Fallout like the original. No other Fallout had this bleak on a look on the setting, or really did well with that Mad Max vibe. The plot was basic enough, but allowed you to use different dialogue options to have a place in the world. Important NPCs were all pretty fleshed out and such, even having unique rendered "talking heads" for dialogue with them. The in-game timer to a bad ending in the first half put me on-edge, even with an excess of time and ways to increase (and decrease) your total time.

Whole areas of the game were legitimately unsettling, too -- Necropolis, The Glow, and the two end-game dungeons were rough on my emotions, for different reasons each. Each item and dialogue option felt like it was there for a reason. The final boss, even with the option for an out-of-the-way pacifist victory over him, is a terror to behold. Even then, that ending... ;-;

Then suddenly Fallout 2 got hammy with its sex jokes, Tactics was a squad-based battle game with an optional RTS setting, and we don't talk about Brotherhood of Steel. Bethesda reviving the franchise has been a double-edged sword all throughout, but without 3 and New Vegas, I'd have never picked up the original. Especially because I suck at FO2.

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@RachelTheSeeker, when I talk about wrpg, I refer to the western cultures integrated into the RPG games. When I lived in Asia, I play most of the characters are samurai or ninjas variation. Granted, I played at Total War Rome, so there is a western culture and specifically Roman culture.
I see a lot of the US and Europe tread of Gothic on rising. A lot of assumptions on my parts lol. :kaothx:

Last edited:

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I actually think the story of KotOR II is better than the story of KotOR.

FIrst one was just generi-Star Wars plot with a slight twist.

Second one is probably one of the most interesting and nuanced Star Wars plots ever done.

Granted it has problems because it was rushed out the door, but even without the content resto mods, I think it is still the better game in every aspect (gameplay, story, characters)

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree. KOTR2 had a better story than the first game, it was also, in my opinion, just a more engaging game; the first one was so boring in its opening hours.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is my favourite WRPG of all time, and thus has the best plot. :p It's all about power struggles, political intrigue, political factions, ancient prophecies being used to manipulate others, and vampires.

I can't think of a game with the worst plot off the top of my head. I've played quite a few RPGs I just couldn't finish because I found them so boring or unengaging. People praise the WItcher 3, but I really, really struggled to get through it. I didn't find anything in the game appealing or remotely interesting until the Blood & Wine expansion. Some areas I really enjoyed, such as the huge city in the north, forgot its name, but the main plot was garbage, in my opinion.
I've also never personally completed PS: Torment. I've watched playthroughs of it, but I honestly couldn't stomach such an ancient game. The combat was garbage, and though you could avoid much of the fighting, you were forced into a few encounters. Gave up at some point and just never carried on.

Not really a terrible game, but rather one that was something of a missed opportunity - Tyranny. That could've been so, so good. It started off well enough, with you making decisions on the invasion of the last free kingdom in the realm. However, it quickly descended into your standard WRPG fair after that, and you rarely, if ever, felt like the bad guy; which you were meant to be, and which was the whole premise of the game. Still, at least one of the endings was nice, the one in which you become the new dark lord, forcing your former master to recognise your power by casting nightfall upon the world and killing many.

Last edited:

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I actually think the story of KotOR II is better than the story of KotOR.

FIrst one was just generi-Star Wars plot with a slight twist.

Second one is probably one of the most interesting and nuanced Star Wars plots ever done.

Granted it has problems because it was rushed out the door, but even without the content resto mods, I think it is still the better game in every aspect (gameplay, story, characters)
I agree. KOTR2 had a better story than the first game, it was also, in my opinion, just a more engaging game; the first one was so boring in its opening hours.
Holy crap, you two! And here, I thought I was the only one who liked KotOR2 over the original. ;-;

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
KotORII is just... so nuanced. It is very not black and white, which most Star Wars stories are.

It is difficult to explain it to other people though without spoiling a lot about it. But stuff like Atton Rand's background, or Bao-Dur and his background with the war... it is all so good and layered.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would argue Kotor 2 is one of the worst WRPGs I've played. It plays the amnesiac hero card, the hidden villain in the party card, and is riddled with choices that have no resolution built into the game. Not to mention most of the games assets are leftovers from the first game. When you guys say it had a good story, I just cannot understand how you think that.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I would argue Kotor 2 is one of the worst WRPGs I've played. It plays the amnesiac hero card, the hidden villain in the party card, and is riddled with choices that have no resolution built into the game. Not to mention most of the games assets are leftovers from the first game. When you guys say it had a good story, I just cannot understand how you think that.
"Trope exists so game bad" is honestly one of the worst takes that I'm tired of seeing with storytelling. Also, even in the case of the whole main character amnesia thing... the main character didn't have amnesia? She had just been away from the known galaxy for a very long time and so didn't know what had happened in the intervening years. The stuff she doesn't remember in the beginning is all stuff that happened while she was unconscious (she didn't know why she had arrived at Peragus on the Ebon Hawk for instance... because she wasn't awake when she was brought on board the Ebon Hawk).

And there are issues with, as I said, it being rushed out the door.

But at the same time, it has actual nuance. Things aren't divided into "this side good, this side evil".

I'm going to have to spoiler some stuff because there is just so much of what makes the story good that can't be addressed without talking about specific points:

First of all, I wouldn't call Kreia "hidden". She tells you what she is from almost the very beginning. The thing is, even knowing she was a Sith, it still makes sense to have her with you. Kreia is actually an incredibly interesting character with motives and a strong history. Compare that to Malak who has... very little character other than being evil and motivations of... idk, being evil

Even Nihilus who gets very little actual background, is more interesting than Malak, with his background being tied to the Mass Shadow Generator and his whole need to feed on the Force being based in trauma from that.

Most of the game deals with the whole idea that everything isn't cut and dry. Atton Rand's background as a sith assassin makes total sense in the context of how he ended up there. Bao-Dur created and used a superweapon that caused mass death, was it the right thing to do? maybe? maybe not? G0T0 cares nothing about good or evil at all, only that the galaxy remains stable. The remaining Jedi are near useless and when they do finally decide to do something, they act through fear.

TL;DR: It had interesting characters with understandable motivations and a nuanced look at the Star Wars universe.

AbstractMan

Forever lost in the Tea Room of Despair
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I must say that the taste of this thread is impeccable.

“It is such a quiet thing to fall... but far more terrible as to admit it.”

Kotor 2 is a work of art, and I don't even like Star Wars much! Also about the choices with no resolution, that simply the weight of roleplaying. We make so many choices in real life that have no true end or resolution but they often define us as people. Things like that is why I am into choice heavy roleplaying games.

Planescape torment is an all-time classic.

Fallout 1 ( and I even like 2) is one of my favorites of all time. The Master is unforgettable.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodline blew my mind, and I cannot forget about New Vegas, which I poured far too much time into.

Id say recently, however, I've been really into Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2… Especially one. The lore is rich and often times, very, very dark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Kes
I've seen a reference to a Community Lighting plugin for MZ, but cannot find it. Is it still in beta?

Todo:
Add fog of war
Add enemy indicators
Make window draggable
Optimise map drawing algorithm (5 seconds to load the map you see, so it's a... poo-poo algorithm)

Any suggestions? :kaoblush:
bleh studio hell job haha at least they like it didnt had time to do much laundry tho ;w;'....YES I DO AT LEAST TAKE A SHOWER everyday!
Ami
--- Food Ingredients ---

Hero: Since the Chef are in Hospital,we can't eat his Dish in 3 Days.
F.Mage: What we have to Eat?
M.Healer: Don't worry,we can Eat the Food Ingredients.
Hero & F.Mage
: Really?

(3 Days Later)

Chef: Hi,Guys. I'm Ba---
(Entire Party Collapse After Eat Raw Meat)
Chef: Wha...WHAT GOING ON HERE!!!!!!
So, I've been thinking about all the complaints about the chibi sprites. Is the problem that they're chibi or that they don't match the character art? If I did a series of chibi/SD character art, would people be interested?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Balthierrff