Ket

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know this is something RPG Maker unfortunately lacks. I’ve scoured around and found some possible workarounds via plugins, but even then, they’re not perfect. (The biggest issue being with event tiles and collision tiles, since RPG Maker tiles are always on a 2D axis.) If I’m wrong about either of these things, I’d love to be corrected.

That said, what engine is easiest to work with for making an isometric RPG?
I’m no pro at coding by any means, so the less; the better.

(I wasn’t sure where else to put this thread, so sorry if it’s better fit in another sub-forum.)

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you asking what RPG Maker engine is best for isometric games? Or what non-RPG engines are best? Remember this is the Degica forum and we don't allow recommendations of other game engines.

GolvaeGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
mv3d (and mz) lets you turn the camera to be iso but it doesnt change the battle system

Reactions: Ket

Ket

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you asking what RPG Maker engine is best for isometric games? Or what non-RPG engines are best? Remember this is the Degica forum and we don't allow recommendations of other game engines.
Oh, I apologize. If that is the case, you may remove this thread. Sorry, again. Though, if one of the RPG Makers does work well with isometric, I'd be interested to know which is best.

Last edited:

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
we don't allow recommendations of other game engines.
Really? That seems kind of silly. I understand having a policy in most of the forum where you don't want people responding to every question with "RPG Maker sucks, use this other product instead," but when the question is "I want to make a game that RPG Maker doesn't make," I don't understand how it's harmful to answer.

That's like going to an employee in the grocery store, asking where they would suggest you go to pick up a pair of jeans, and being told they can't recommend other retail stores.

Celestrium

Worldsmith
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Check out PVGames assets. It has a learning curve, but you can make an isometric RPGMaker game using them. PCGames has a Discord to help with utilizing assets as well.

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
There was a very good IsoView system for RmXP, which after a while included a mobile platform and a jumping system, which is very similar to the old console games:

I even made a system with "Pictures" in Rpg Maker 2000 from IsoView, which took exactly the position of the map, based on Super Mario Rpg.
But there was a limitation of 6 objects per map (NPCs, Chests, Plates, etc.):

They did this for RmVX / Ace, but the most current version I remember was a Tactical Rpg with no free movement:

Good luck

Last edited:

hosercanadian

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
MV works with PV games assets to do isometric. I am working on a game right now that uses this perspective. There is a sub-forum that outlines the “essential” plug-ins to make it work. The only part left is a good grasp of eventing and the plug-ins to make the game.

Sword_of_Dusk

Keyblade Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Really? That seems kind of silly. I understand having a policy in most of the forum where you don't want people responding to every question with "RPG Maker sucks, use this other product instead," but when the question is "I want to make a game that RPG Maker doesn't make," I don't understand how it's harmful to answer.

That's like going to an employee in the grocery store, asking where they would suggest you go to pick up a pair of jeans, and being told they can't recommend other retail stores.
Quite simply, it's likely related to business. No company wants to actively recommend a competitor's product over their own. They would prefer to find a solution that uses their product instead. As this is a Degica official forum, the mods here can't really allow that sort of thing, even if they might personally have a recommendation.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Quite simply, it's likely related to business. No company wants to actively recommend a competitor's product over their own. They would prefer to find a solution that uses their product instead. As this is a Degica official forum, the mods here can't really allow that sort of thing, even if they might personally have a recommendation.
I've used and even moderated on many forums for various things, I've never been someplace that forebade the discussion (nor mere mention) of other similar products.

It's fine to encourage people to try to make a solution using RPG Maker, but when that involves modding the engine to an absurd degree, or something that's outright impossible, disallowing the mention of other products is simply illogical. I mean, if I wanted to make a 3D, first-person shooter, admittedly it wouldn't occur to me to ask here, but for it to be against the rules to provide a suggestion is silly.

When I worked in a nationwide retail chain, I was actively instructed to tell customers where to find products that we didn't carry, due to market testing that it built brand loyalty from the customer service.

Anyway, I'm not trying to cause any kind of brouhaha, not arguing with anyone, but I saw something silly and said so.

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Other options for MV:

Video Rm2k version:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

one dislike. tragic really ofended me bruh
i only have one decent song and i dont even think it fits for a video game
Update: I finished the combat arena! My goodness, it took a while! There were numerous little bugs to squash.
Maldra wrote on stramin's profile.
Hi regarding the 32 bit -> 64 bit
I am running on a 64 bit windows OS and tried doing this conversion. I converted all of the .exe files that I could find in the KADOKAWA\RPGMV folder using the 4gbpatch.exe file. However, after trying to access RPG Maker MV after this conversion, it simply will not load. Do you have any advice or any ideas?
****ing muscle memory: does anyone else habitually quit out of test play when they notice something they """HAVE""" to fix, in spite of the fact that you can now edit DURING test play?

...thousands of times...

...every day?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aryanyb