Best Maker?

Crystal_Queen

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
So RPG Maker XP, VX Ace, MV and VX are all on sale on Steam, but I can only afford to buy one of them, are any of them just objectively better than the other ones or is there important differences making it a preference thing?

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Zekken

Programmer? Pro-Gamer? Pro-Grammar?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the answer is MV. Because it support 3 layer of mapping, unlimited screen resolution, bigger sprite (48 x 48 px), bigger database, and support JavaScript with ton of libraries, ton of programmer

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are important differences, but which one you get depends on your needs.

If you want to use it on a Mac or deploy to mobile devices, you need MV.

Basically, unless you have a good reason to get one of the older ones, MV would be the best choice. It has the best support and new resources are being developed for it all the time.

If you can't afford MV, I'd go with Ace, as it's the most recent one prior to MV, so again there are more resources for it than for the older engines, and still a lot of people around here who currently use it, or used to use it, so lots of support available.

Crystal_Queen

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
There are important differences, but which one you get depends on your needs.

If you want to use it on a Mac or deploy to mobile devices, you need MV.

Basically, unless you have a good reason to get one of the older ones, MV would be the best choice. It has the best support and new resources are being developed for it all the time.

If you can't afford MV, I'd go with Ace, as it's the most recent one prior to MV, so again there are more resources for it than for the older engines, and still a lot of people around here who currently use it, or used to use it, so lots of support available.
Ok, so is it a direct upgrade to 2003? I found an English version about 8 years ago and have learned it and the limitations it gives since

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No. None of them are upgrades of any others. They are all different, and they have different settings and file formats. You cannot start a game in one and finish it in another unless you do some kind of conversion process.

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok, so is it a direct upgrade to 2003? I found an English version about 8 years ago and have learned it and the limitations it gives since
None of the makers are quite like 2003. They don't have as good of eventing systems but excel in basically every other regard, like the ability to use scripting. Another nice perk of 2003 is that games made in it can be played on a SLEW of devices under emulation using EasyRPG, including Switch, 3DS, iOS/Android, Wii... basically anything that can run homebrew content. That's a cool bonus. If you use 2003 you should be using EasyRPG anyway, since it offers an expanded feature set.

XP uses RGSS for its scripting and has the most robust mapping system. There is a lot of information on how to use it, but unfortunately a lot of awesome scripts and resources have been lost over the years. There are ways to expand the engine beyond its normal capabilities too, with the use of DLL files to get better resolutions and higher frame rates (the default for XP is 40FPS). It can run on any old piece of PC hardware.

VX is irrelevant. VX Ace is just better in every way.

VX Ace in many ways is a precursor to MV. The mapping isn't as good and there's only slightly fewer things you can do with it, however it is technically more efficient and has a more powerful engine than MV does because it runs RGSS3 rather than running JS in a web browser. It has a lower level of code, basically, so it's faster. It's a good one to go for if you're looking to do heavy scripting stuff, or if the game you're making relies on something specifically available only for VX Ace currently.

MV is arguably the best of all of them unless you consider XP's mapping style. It offers a lot of what VX Ace does but better, and can technically be ported to anything you want with defaults for PC/Mac/Linux as well as iOS and Android (which means games made in MV can be run on a Switch if it has Android installed without you needing to own a dev kit or anything like that, just a homebrewed Switch). The plugin system is WAY easier to use than the scripts in the previous entries and you rarely have to do anything manually in the code to get them working, just select a few things in drop down menus.

Personally, I hover between 2003, XP, and MV, for different reasons. I like the versatility of 2003 in its eventing system and the range of platforms that it can be played on as well as the sheer style it has.
XP's mapping system is so great for making beautiful looking maps with nothing but the engine and it's a lot more simple to make battles with in particular. It's the one I'm most acquainted with so it holds a special place in my heart.

MV is just the overall winner. It's just unequivocally the better engine and I've been a pretty big fan of using it the past 4 years.

I'm currently making a game in MV, and the next one I'm making is in MV as well, but I'm seriously considering doing the one after that in 2003 just because I love that classic RPG style it exudes. You can get that from MV with graphics packs and such but it's not quite the same. Telling my friends to just use EasyRPG so they can play it on their phones as opposed to specifically porting it over to their device is nice too. I'm excited to see a game I make in 2003 being played on a Wii on a CRT to be honest... that sounds like a visually pleasing experience.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I probably could write an essay, but a simple answer:
Get MV, it has more active support than the former because many people use it
Don't get VX, it is basically VXAce but worse.

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV is probably the best one right now.

Though I've always liked RM2K3's aesthetics the best. It has more of a SNES look built into it already. Those sprites are the best!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Any also thought it's too cringy to put the word "and you" in your credit as a special thanks?
Cause that's what I thought...
Everyone in the US right now: Please stay safe.
Symphony Celestia: Prophecy of the Falling Stars RPG Maker music pack WIP. Symphony Celestia is a new series that focuses on symphonic and orchestrated music to tell a story. Each story will include compositions that make up that story from beginning to end. Themes include: Battles, adventures, character themes, etc. Below is a video preview to the first story.

Jumping and gravitation 0.1 build - RPG Maker MV
It's ironic, but one of the many hilarious things done with Shia's Just Do It speech was to make a hype song, and....I know what it is.....but I still get inspired by it! I'm like..."Yes I can!!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T-Rylo