Best place to dev my game? New or Old PC?

GraveBusta

Vengful
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
My old pc is kinda dying it randomly shut off on me little earlier and is extremely slow but then again doesn't that make games more stable on weaker PCs? 

I don't know the answer so please help me out!

New pc I am getting tomorrow or the old pc? I need an experts advice.

boldpaste2

The Dragon Heretics
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
For a computer acting slow and shutting off randomly, You might have a failed fan somewhere in your computer forcing your computer to shut itself down to prevent it from blowing itself out. As for the question, No. If a computer is slower to process information, then the program it is trying to run is slower as well and as no effect on stabilization. It might have an impact on compatibility but that is pretty much it.

GraveBusta

Vengful
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
For a computer acting slow and shutting off randomly, You might have a failed fan somewhere in your computer forcing your computer to shut itself down to prevent it from blowing itself out. As for the question, No. If a computer is slower to process information, then the program it is trying to run is slower as well and as no effect on stabilization. It might have an impact on compatibility but that is pretty much it.
so i should go with new?

boldpaste2

The Dragon Heretics
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
so i should go with new?
I can't make that decision for you. It's really your call to make. If you don't think you or have a shop fix it then it might be the only call to make.

GraveBusta

Vengful
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I can't make that decision for you. It's really your call to make. If you don't think you or have a shop fix it then it might be the only call to make.
Thanks for your time though :D

Helladen

Deviant Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Replace your CPU fan. All you need to do is unclap it and pull it off. Make sure your computer has the power unplugged from the outlet and that you keep it off for 5 minutes before touching anything inside.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If your computer is going to die and you can't cast a resurrect spell on it and have to buy a new one, the choice to go to a faster computer is obvious.

But if you manage to get it back, it's better to work on an old computer for optimization purpose.

My dev rig is a very old computer, which helps to pinpoint where there is lag.

I recently played a demo where I had a huge lag (like 8 fps at most) and the dev said he was aware of it since he began working on a dual core computer.

But when he switched to a i5 CPU, there wasn't lag anymore.

For him.

People with less fast CPUs will still stuggle with his game.

Always have a slow computer at hand, even just for this.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Happy Friday, y'all! I just got home from work and am sitting down with a nice cider, and I'm ready to chill and enjoy myself. Not sure if I'm gonna dive into any of my game-related projects or not tonight.... we'll see how I feel after unwinding for a bit I guess!
Just found out that mint tea made from chocolate mint tastes a bit like hot cocoa with candy cane stirred in. As I'm allergic to chocolate this makes me very happy.
It's special day for me tomorrow so time to vanish for 24 hours lol.
So Deltarune Chapter 2 is supposed to release today... if it's out already, has anyone played it? And I can't because I have a stinking Mac and not a Windows PC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aels