Best programs for making pixel art and spritesheets.

Jiggykoopbob

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi!
I don't know a good place to post this, but here's my question.

What are the most recommendable software to make pixel art and organising the sprites into spritesheets for game in general that use pixel art graphics?

I asked this because i am just curious. Thanks in advance.

JoePal

affable madman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello! Typically, it comes down to what program you feel most comfortable with. There are a lot of options out there and you'll find playing around with a few will help you see which feels most natural for your own process. I use GIMP personally, but it takes a little bit of getting used to if you've never worked with a program like Photoshop before.

Edit:
Also, I'd suggest starting with free options or trials before you buy anything. My other tip is to think about how involved you want to get in the process. Some program are made to be easy and specifically for arranging/editing sprites, but might limit you in other ways. Using something with more potential like Photoshop/GIMP/etc. will give you a lot of control but will require more commitment on your end.

Last edited:

TheGentlemanLoser

"And when we fall, we will fall together..."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it's fairly barebones (though supported by a robust arsenal of plugins) but in this regard, paint.NET absolutely changed my life for the better, no doubt about it

sawworm

Sir Waste Time A Lot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Turkish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For me Aseprite is the best pixel art program, its UI is similar to Photoshop. Pretty easy to use.

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it's fairly barebones (though supported by a robust arsenal of plugins) but in this regard, paint.NET absolutely changed my life for the better, no doubt about it
Paint.NET user here, can confirm if you know how, it works.

All boils down to which one you feel most comfortable with.

Kay_Erthisia

Actually a sculptor...! What am I doing here?!
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
For me Aseprite is the best pixel art program
I second Aseprite! Use it for absolutely all my pixel art. Plenty of YT tutorials on how to use it well, too. Once you get used to the UI, making more complex pixel art has never felt more intuitive and easy :D

Perhaps not as good at making tilesets, but the grid functionalities and layers are enough for me to cobble together my own. Particularly since RPG maker doesn't exactly have the most complicated tileset setups! :biggrin:

Holder

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I use Aseprite now. However if you're wanting a free option which is very similar and something I used to use all the time, then Graphics Gale is perfect.
Easy to set up grids and frames to test animations and such alike.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Piskel is pretty great too! Recently it is getting downgraded to where it no longer has a saved account, but the main site will still have the tools for you to use anytime. Like a quickie.
Been using for years though!

It even has a downloadable version like an App/desktop usage. So that's a big plus : )

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Graphicsgale is my program of choice, mixed with Gimp for some recoloring/transparency things :3

Iron_Brew

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've used paint.net since about 2012, and it's phenomenal for spriting!

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Useful Development Tools. Thank you.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

In last 5 years, I have bought 4 MSI computer components and had issues with all 4 of them. With two of them these issues were so huge the board was quite unusable. I think it's safe to day it's my last MSI product purchase.
Thanks Thesaurus.com for letting me know another word for 'noted' is 'noted'.
The capital city of Lindenburg everyone. "Capital"

Map043.png
been trying to up my action sequence game and I'm not entirely sure what to do, even with tutorials out there. but I think I'm heading in the right direction with some attacks.
I've started brainstorming an entry for IGMC 2022. One hour of game length and first ten minutes to grab the reviewer's interest. Here we go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoysDontCry