Best Resolution for iPhone game

sertianscompany

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
ESP EN
Hello! :)

I´m developing a game in RPG Maker MV for iPhone (5..5s..5c..6..6s..).

I started with a HD resolution (Yanfly plugin) 1280x720 (16:9 landscape), but...my character and the map looks far and small, so I don't want that.

Then I used the Masked MapZoom plugin (MBS_MapZoom) which allows you to zoom the map keeping the same resolution. It actually works and give me the look I want for mobile.

But I don't want to use a plugin to have always a zoom on my character. Also because the game is reading everything of the native resolution selected (1280x720) and that makes the game more laggy. (If something is not in vision, why I need to leave the program/device working on that?).

So I was thinking to reduce the resolution of my game to something similiar to the zoom.

If the resolution is 636x357 the game is still 16:9, it can scale up to 1280x720 (if needed) and looks the same as the zoom.

But the problem now comes with new questions:

1. Is this the right way to do that?
  2. Will my game be accepted on the AppStore with that small resolution?
If someone can put light on this will be really helpfull for all the comunity.

One solution could be increase the TileSize, but I'm worried about if some plugins stop working well because of that huge change. (Plus the extra work in photoshop increasing pictures of the TileSets).

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, you said you were wanting to make a screen for the iPhones, but they all have different resolutions and will all appear differently. What you see on your monitor will be different than from an iPhone, especially considering pixel density and screen size.

Regardless, zooming in is just fine, and probably recommended if you wanted things to be able to happen one or two squares out of frame anyway.

To know if the AppStore will accept it, you'll need to check their regs. I don't know them offhand.

Dinamic Creates

Project Stealth | Project Dungeon Trios
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, you said you were wanting to make a screen for the iPhones, but they all have different resolutions and will all appear differently. What you see on your monitor will be different than from an iPhone, especially considering pixel density and screen size.

Regardless, zooming in is just fine, and probably recommended if you wanted things to be able to happen one or two squares out of frame anyway.

To know if the AppStore will accept it, you'll need to check their regs. I don't know them offhand.
The best thing to do is to select anything that is 16:9 then, right?

What about if my game is in a small resolution (636x357 which is 16:9) but it has a plugin which stretches the image to fill the screen?
Maybe that would work. You should test it anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:

sertianscompany

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
ESP EN
What about if my game is in a small resolution (636x357 which is 16:9) but it has a plugin which stretches the image to fill the screen?

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If it stretches the image, it'll just look really bad.

sertianscompany

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
ESP EN
I exported and tested on my iPhone with that resolution (636x357), and it doesn´t look bad, it looks exactly the same as the 1280x720 with the zoom. But now I'm thinking about that resolution (which is 16:9 aspect ratio) into a tablet (iPad) which is 4:3.

I tested on Xcode and it creates 2 black bars, one on the top and one on the bottom.

If the iPhone is 16:9 and the iPad is 4:3, is there any way to avoid the black bars? :(

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is a known thing and is why apps are universal (detect and change based on resolution of device, sometimes contains two of the same app) or there's an iPad version of an app on the iPhone.

ACECORP

Founder & Entrepreneur
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did you ever get a fix for the black bars on the side in the form of a way to do automatic resize or stretch?

Did you find a auto-resize or auto-stretch plugin? 

What options are available to RPGMaker MV users to "detect and change" the resolution based on the device? 

A comprehensive solution to this is badly needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Faytless

recently unemployed Kung Fu Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is a known thing and is why apps are universal (detect and change based on resolution of device, sometimes contains two of the same app) or there's an iPad version of an app on the iPhone.

I can vouch for this as well.  This is a common practice that developers make for both performance issues and aspect ratio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Transferring over the character creation to MMO MV is going okie-ish, but slow~ Mainly image assets reformatting/reworking I have to do to work in this engine is a pain. XD At least the MMO battles works pretty well so far! Woop woop! :kaoluv:
At this point I'm sorta convinced that the joke "they mix something in the cafeteria food" may be true. Like, every single person seems to be dozing off in class right after lunch...
Saying overused tropes are bad is like saying I - IV - V - I chord progression is bad.
I swear, the last 3 weeks I haven't felt like helping people at all. No idea why, even if I know the exact solution they need. Might need to harness my inner @Shaz or something. :LZSexcite: :thumbsup-right:
Look, I get that it's illegal, but...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elad