Best resolution for Rpg Maker MV game?

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by SoSick., Oct 7, 2016.

1. SoSick.

SoSick. Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Don't know if I have done this right. But I'm preparing to make my first commercial game after messing with rpg maker mv now with many little projects and have learned a lot.

But I'm stuck on which resolution is best for games? I have always used the default resolution and messed around with going way bigger but it did effect the quality of some images.

Thanks to anyone that replies :)

2. SoSick.

SoSick. Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ergh. it double posted xD apologies! dog was jumping all over me.

3. cekobico

cekobico Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    If you plan on using a lot of YEP Menu, go with default resolution. His menu for a lot of scenes looks good on default, but on 720p, they get really stretched and looks bad (half of a screen for hp gauge, for example), so you might want to do a lot more tweakings. 

If you can tweak the menu/have programmer to do it, then I guess 720p is the most common one nowadays.

4. SoSick.

SoSick. Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the advice :)  I'm messing with Moghunters Menu plugin, a lot of visual customisation, so I can make it fit 720p. but the sprites also stretch and loose some detail on maps. I'll keep tweaking and post what I get on here and see what people think. thanks very much again :)

5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @2FaSt This thread is not really about sprites, it is looking at how to design mechanics.  If you want feedback on what the sprites look like, I suggest you post in Resource Support, which is specifically to help with things like that.

6. The Stranger

The Stranger The Faceless Friend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It also depends on the assets you're using. The larger the resolution, the smaller everything becomes. If you're using larger art assets, then you might want to consider using a larger resolution.

SoSick. likes this.
  7. SoSick.

SoSick. Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @ksjp17 oh  sorry, apologies was just mentioning it as having a bigger screen / resolution also effects the sprites detail etc.

8. SoSick.

SoSick. Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @The Stranger Good call, to play it safe I think ill stick to the default resolution.. Its not a big thing in the community is it what resolution games are? thanks

The Stranger likes this.
  9. The Stranger

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @2FaSt Nah. It only becomes a problem if you decide to put your game on Steam - they''ll complain about RM games using small resolutions, even if the game benefits from said resolution.

10. SoSick.

SoSick. Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @The Stranger Erghh. I guess if the game looks good and plays good then I guess they shouldn't moan about resolution ? xD  Would be pretty dope to get a game on Steam in the future.

11. The Stranger

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @2FaSt You'd think so, but there are a lot of nit pickers out there. :p Take your time with game development and enjoy the ride.

12. SimProse

SimProse Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I use 1280x720 (720p) and that seems to be a nice compromise to avoid the "postage stamp" syndrome and fitting with a lot of the MV resources easily and using a resolution even most older computers can use.

SoSick. likes this.
  13. SoSick.

SoSick. Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for all your replies. I'm just gonna smash it with 1280 x 720p! No going back! haha.

SimProse likes this.
  14. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @The Stranger: That is so true. From what I've read on posts, steam users aren't happy unless the game uses 4K, runs at 60 fps, fills their entire screen, even if that screen is 2560 x 1980, and is the second coming of video games. There's no pleasing that crowd, just make what you want to make.

As for the resolution, I'm making it so that I can fit 20 tiles x 15 tiles, as that is the size I was used to in ACE. I think that's 960 x 720.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2016
  15. jupitersdaughter

jupitersdaughter Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    To add my 2 cents, I think 1280x720 is the best bet. It's a very general resolution and trust me, once you've been programming with it for a while then decide to launch up a VX Ace game or something, you'll never be able to go back.

Plus that ratio is much better for videos and screenshots. It'll help you avoid the unprofessional black bars look.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2016
  16. Hikitsune-Red

Hikitsune-Red 火狐 - Red =^~^= Veteran

First Language:
    English
    As a fellow who has hopped around many programming scenes, I can also agree that 1280x720 is ideal for almost any computer game you make, whether it is RPG Maker or self-programmed. This is largely to appease the streamers out there who like at least minimal HD, as well as not too hefty to mess with lower-end computers. It also plays well with RPG Maker resources in my opinion, and it is a standard mobile size if that's your thing.

17. Dr. Delibird

Dr. Delibird Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    For me personally, both from the creator and player perspective, I don't really care about the specific number of which equals the resolution. I more or less just want it to have the "widescreen" aspect ratio. I just like the look of it more than most RM games windows tend to be.

18. Waterguy

Waterguy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Same, but for a different reason: I want to send it to android later, and it gets black bars on the side if not widescreen.

One thing many forget is that, with a bigger resolution, means bigger maps and smaller visible chars.

So I use the default height and 1110 width.

19. pEcOsGhOsT

pEcOsGhOsT Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Sorry, I'm a little late to the party but I've been surprisingly conflicted about this exact thing (I really hadn't put much thought into aspect ratios before and I didn't think I would care this much but anyway!) Since the modern gaming world has almost completely switched from 4:3 to 16:9 ratio (and it seems they will continue with the latter at least for a little while since 4K is 16:9) I really wanted my game to be a little more relevant in that aspect (ratio... pun intended- get it? I'm joking) So after really experimenting with a few different choices here is a great list for your convenience:
    https://pacoup.com/2011/06/12/list-of-true-169-resolutions/
    I came up with a few stipulations, firstly I wanted the horizontal res to divisible by 48 (because MV is using 48x48 px squares) So I would at least have levels that would fill the "x" space evenly (without falling short) I wasn't really concerned with the "y" axis being exact. I was initially thinking I'd go with the fairly popular 1024x576. However, 1024 / 48 = 21.33333 (so unfortunately, I had to throw that one out) I wanted the screen small however to keep my characters looking big and bold so I didn't want to go over 1024 if I could help it. Next I tried 960x540 which proved to work pretty good as 960 / 48 = 20. This was what I was sticking with for sometime, when in true RPG Maker fashion I realized I needed a "center space" for my specific situation and since 20 is obviously an even number, there is no true center. So, after messing around for awhile longer I came across my sweet spot 1008x567 (yes it is one of the weirdest screen resolutions I've never seen but) it works perfectly for my game as 1008 / 48 = 21 so I can easily make a level with a width of 21 and everything is nice and exact. Fullscreen looks great, even on my giant TV. And I have my precious center so I can put my character perfectly in the middle (for level teleportation reasons, ok jeez??!!)
    All in all...
    You should ask yourself, "what do I want my screen resolution to do for me?"
    Do you want to the level width (or height) to match up exactly?
    Do you want your level to have a true center point?
    Do you even give a dayum?

Anyway, TL : DR (as they say)
    1008 x 567 works nearly perfect for me (even though people will most likely look at it and say wtf is that resolution??!!)

20. Prescott

Prescott argggghhh Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I use 1280x720 since it's just a common resolution but is still low enough to be enjoyed on a phone/tablet or somebody with an older, non 1080p screen.
    For the people that need games to be 4K for some reason, I guess they really shouldn't be playing a pixel based RPG Maker game? ;) I would suggest getting a plugin/tweak that can make it scale up to that resolution without stretching/bilinear filtering. Mine just uses nearest neighbor scaling and looks a hell of a lot better because of that.