Best Screen Resolution

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by terrorchan, Nov 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. terrorchan

terrorchan Literally a Gloop Veteran

First Language:
    English
    What do you guys think the ideal screen resolution be? Default? Something bigger like most other games? Is it worth having to deal with incapability with certain plugins? Do you find games with the default resolution to be 'n00bish'?

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You don't specifically state which engine, and the default size varies between them.

For me, it is not a question of a default size being noobish, I simply find the default size of VI have VXAce to be too small.  I have no problems with the default size of MV.

The drawback of using much larger sizes is that with an unskilled mapper there is even more empty space to be filled, and this is either left as boring blanks or filled with inappropriate, badly thought through junk.

3. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Personally I think the game's resolution just have to be 16:9 just so people can full screen without much destruction. Basically: 960x544, 1024×576, 1152×648, 1280×720, 1366×768.

I would honestly not go beyond that as a developer because the current RM graphics looks horrible at 1920x1080 and it's not like RM has autoscaling in window mode. Imagine a 1366 user loading a 1920x1080 window. I mean it probably could but that sounds more trouble than it's worth for something visually inferior. And I always liked the smaller resolutions since you can have tight maps and more control on what the player can see. But this is just probably me :'D

4. terrorchan

terrorchan Literally a Gloop Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I guess it wasn't really engine specific :0 kinda just wanted the consensus on expanding upon the defualt screen size, but I suppose I'm most curious about MV

5. Yanfly

Yanfly Developer

Following along with what Archeia said, it's better to scale upwards from a smaller resolution than scaling downward from a larger resolution. This is due to a number of reasons:

• RPG Maker MV "lags" when there's a lot of animated tiles on the screen. When more tiles have to be animated, you can probably imagine the consequences.
    • Less video memory used to upscale than to downscale. This is particularly important when playing on mobile devices with less memory. You don't want to overwhelm your players' devices.
    • WebGL can handle larger resolutions. However, more rendering is required at higher resolutions when using special visual effects. This means more calculations involved, thus, more processing power used. 
    My personal "sweet spot" for resolutions is 1104x624. I choose this because it maintains the default height MV comes with while remaining close to 16:9 and still divisible by 48 (the tileset size).

As far as plugins are concerned, most of my plugins are made to accomodate 16:9 resolutions as they're pretty much the commercial standard now. They can work with 4:3 resolutions, but work best at 16:9.

6. Ramiro

Ramiro Now with an army of Mecha-Ralphs! Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    I persoanlly use 1152 x 648 (24 x 13 tiles) at 16:9 for desktop and 960 x 640 (20 x 13 tiles) at 4:3 for mobile versions.

Both are really similar in terms of size, and one upscale/downscale well on each device.

The desktop version is bigger than usual, but the mobile version is more or less than an average mobile phone supports and at worst, they support 480x320 wich is half the size of that (and those are really old two years old one second old recent phones, phones are so different at every second...)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
    Amuseum likes this.
  7. Witchcat

Witchcat Villager Member

First Language:
    Italian
    Hi! What about resolution when I'm going to create assets (like overalys, customized hud etc)? 75 pixel/inch is correct?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2016