Arkos

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I still don't get the "be divisible by 48". Why? Why is this so important. I keep seeing you guys mentioning it. I run my game on 1080p and while it is quite zoomed out I kind of like it. My map sizes start at 35x25. I do get some black bars on the side but too me that looks great and the other reason
for this is that I use 1080p art for my game.

I've tried lower game res but the art really gets messed up when scaled inside the engine.
So in order to not have horrendous looking art I decided to set my game res to 1080p to match my art instead. Is this a bad move? The art is the most important for my game so...Yeah.

Sparky89

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm using 48 x 48 pixel ART so I've strecthed my resolution to maxuim without comperising quality and it's not a 1080p resolution as that would stretch my 48 x 48 pixel art.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I still don't get the "be divisible by 48". Why? Why is this so important.
Because in most established games in this genre, unless you're in a small interior space, the background extends to the edges of the screen. So by having your resolution be a full number of tiles, you can get that look without having to draw extra map to go over the edge. Additionally, if your width is not a full, odd number of tiles, your character won't be properly centered on the screen while you play (perhaps not enough for anyone to be bothered, but there it is).
I do get some black bars on the side but too me that looks great
And that's fine. To me, that makes it look like a game wasn't designed for the screen size it's being played on.
I've tried lower game res but the art really gets messed up when scaled inside the engine.
So in order to not have horrendous looking art I decided to set my game res to 1080p to match my art instead. Is this a bad move? The art is the most important for my game so...Yeah.
It depends? I have no idea what you mean by "the art" - most designers who make their own parallax maps or character sprites or busts choose to draw it at a size that will look correct compared to the size of everything else in the game.

STARFALL

Core of the Stars
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I still don't get the "be divisible by 48". Why? Why is this so important. I keep seeing you guys mentioning it. I run my game on 1080p and while it is quite zoomed out I kind of like it. My map sizes start at 35x25. I do get some black bars on the side but too me that looks great and the other reason
for this is that I use 1080p art for my game.

In my case, I work on a mobile device project, and in first instance I use 816x376 to keep a good pixel aspect for the Game, but now Iincrease the resolution to 1280x640, characters look more small, but to fix this I use a zoom effect, even battle use zoom helping by Yep sequences, and the result is very very good, of course that have new issue but can be fixed using the imagination. like not use the relative touchpad and use a in screen pad, because compatibility issues.

Arkos

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Because in most established games in this genre, unless you're in a small interior space, the background extends to the edges of the screen. So by having your resolution be a full number of tiles, you can get that look without having to draw extra map to go over the edge. Additionally, if your width is not a full, odd number of tiles, your character won't be properly centered on the screen while you play (perhaps not enough for anyone to be bothered, but there it is).

And that's fine. To me, that makes it look like a game wasn't designed for the screen size it's being played on.

It depends? I have no idea what you mean by "the art" - most designers who make their own parallax maps or character sprites or busts choose to draw it at a size that will look correct compared to the size of everything else in the game.
I see. So that's why they keep saying having it divisible by 48 is a good thing. That makes sense.
As for the art. I'm talking about busts. When I'm drawing something I always start at 1080p, going any lower just doesn't sit right with me because it gets too pixelated in my eyes. And scaling them down in the engine makes them look horrible in my opinion. This is why I chose 1080p as my games resolution.

I will try my best to make the maps look interesting but I do get the whole "Bigger res > larger maps > higher chance of boring map design" dilemma as I run into it each time I create a new map :D. I do get that it will be harder since there will be a bigger area to fill but I've also found that making large exterior maps gives one more room to create something eye catching.

On the other hand making interiors is gonna be a pain since I can't really just make them bigger or it will look like everyone is living in a mansion.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The new Dune movie reminds me of the game Dune 2 made by Westwood. A quality product on its own, but extremely disloyal to its source of inspiration.
Terrible Writing Advice, you've done it again.
1635026211997.png
Feeling like my new profile picture is nice. Thinking of making it semi-permanent, does any one has an opinion? Does it look too evil or does it work as a public profile picture? :)
Bishiba.png
My washing machine is a supernatural being. I lost a piece of clothing in there a month ago; searched up and down, inside other clothes, nothing. It just vanished.
Today, put in a new load. When I pull it out, the missing clothing is back! And a sock was sacrificed in the process :yswt2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Haniel_Sword