Best screen size?

Bloodlines

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just wondering what an ideal if there is any for widescreen size. Ideally I would like down the line for the game to look good on both PC and on phones. If I had to choose one over the other it would be for PC but would be great if there was a size that did both.

My pc is linked to my 40inch tv screen so its hard to get a true grasp of the average resolution would be.

I am using celinna tilesets so basically the same size as the standard RTB if that helps

shadefoundry

Is Sinistar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Generally the standard phone resolution right now ranges from 1280x720 to 1920x1080, with some more expensive phones being at 4k. A cheap tv will be 720p, with a mid range one being 1080p and finally high end ones being 4k. A lot of laptops for some reason are still made with 1366x768 screens. So if I was working with an hd resolution I would try to target 720p since its still pretty common on midrange laptops and phones, plus it can be upscaled relatively cleanly to 1080p and still look decent.
Hope this is of some use :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are three additional points you need to consider when selecting a screen size - and because of them bigger is not always better.

1) screen size becomes minimum map size - there will be display problems if you try to use a map that is smaller than the set screen size.
So the bigger your screen size is, the larger the maps have to be. You can still make part of the maps black to pretent do the player that the map is smaller, but it will still require more work

2) bigger screen size = smaller sprites and more map visible.
This is 2D, not 3D - the game will not upscale the art to fit a higher resolution.
That means if you go too high in screen size, the sprites will no longer be of a size that you can play with, and you need to construct your maps in a way that a hidden area remains hidden even on the larger display

Going fullscreen with a smaller screen size will usually zoom the display, preventing the problems above - but it will also blur the images
Your choice

3) Screen size should be multiple of tile size - 48x48 by MV default, 32x32 if you're using the change tilesize plguin to use older tiles for Ace.
Not having the screen size as multiple of tilesize will result in a problematic display frame of partial tiles that don't always behave as assumed.

Doombringer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
From "I am using celinna tilesets so basically the same size as the standard RTB if that helps", I'm assuming those are the default sizes, since I'm new to RPG Maker MV myself and I don't know if I'm wrong.

I don't think it's good to up the resolution on the RPG Maker MV. Personally, if I were to make it full screen the "resolution" is terrible, but that's because of the size of the sprites, tiles, etc.

It would be nice to have a High Res if you have custom parallax maps since the quality of those depends solely on you. Basically, using high resolution is good only when all the graphics are custom high res ones. Using the default ones, on PC, and going full screen on a widescreen is bad, at least from my point of view.

As for phones, even if they support HQ/HD, there really isn't much of a point upping the Res since the biggest phone screen is 6" and with the default textures, it'll look nice either way. 6,5" is considered a "Phablet" and 7" and up it's a tablet.

To be honest, it all depends on the style of game you're making. I'm using the default graphics styles and the default game resolution and it looks nice as long as I leave it windowed (not borderless).

I'm sorry my post wasn't much of a help though. What I'm saying is that if you were to leave the resolution as it is, as long as the player doesn't go full screen on a big screen, it'll look nice, but that's, again, just my opinion.

P.S. Do you mean "Celianna"?

Bloodlines

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
3) Screen size should be multiple of tile size - 48x48 by MV default,
Thanks for all the points guys. I had 1280x720. However 1280 isn't divisible by 48 so ill change that to whatever is close.

phrazelle

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for all the points guys. I had 1280x720. However 1280 isn't divisible by 48 so ill change that to whatever is close.
FWIW, I just ran into this while designing at 1280x720, and the closest (under) size divisible by 48 is 1248x720.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

People3_1 and People3_2 added!

Part 2 of my Audio Engine tutorial for MZ is out!
Come join our stream starting at 2pm and win cool stuff! :D
Star citizen just announced they will develop a roadmap for their planned roadmap...
And i thought i needed order on my project... :kaoswt2:
Big City Greens had it right:
"Always back up your brain game, that's what I like to say!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reeman326