Best software for sprite animation?

RANDROID

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm just about ready to start animating some sprites I've created (to be used in RM), but I'm kind of new to animation.
I have Photoshop CS5, but I'm wondering if there isn't any better software for this - I read somewhere that Photoshop isn't the best when it comes to animation.

Assuming money isn't an issue, what would you guys recommend?

Edit: I just saw that this same question was already asked: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/35795-tool-or-tip-for-animating-sprites/

I would delete this thread if I could. My bad! x_X

TANGENT - 3 sprites complete (@RetrovertGames, @Rg_RANDROID).png

Last edited by a moderator:

Creative Ed

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey randroid, honestly I don't think you really need more than photoshop to animate, it may not be very good to do complex animations (non-pixel art), but for pixel art it's good enough, since you don't need more than a program that just plays back your animation.
You can try other software though, if you still don't want to use photoshop for this.

You can take a look at Graphics Gale, which is an oldie but a goodie. It's also made for pixel work.
There's also GrafX2 which is free, and it's good enough. Although the interface it's kinda ugly because they made it in pixel art lol.

RANDROID

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey randroid, honestly I don't think you really need more than photoshop to animate, it may not be very good to do complex animations (non-pixel art), but for pixel art it's good enough, since you don't need more than a program that just plays back your animation.

You can try other software though, if you still don't want to use photoshop for this.

You can take a look at Graphics Gale, which is an oldie but a goodie. It's also made for pixel work.

There's also GrafX2 which is free, and it's good enough. Although the interface it's kinda ugly because they made it in pixel art lol.
Thanks, man!

Tomorrow, I'll do a simple walk animation in Photoshop, but I'll probably download the Graphics Gale free trial at some point just to check it out.

It looks like the full version's only $16. O_O

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've moved this thread to Program and Utility Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Check out Spriter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Spriter isn't as good for pixel sprites, Shaz, though it's awesome for non-pixel sprites.

I like Graphics Gale okay, but sometimes the way things are set up gets in the way for me and makes things take longer than I think they should. Pyxel Edit is another option, not free, but cheap. It's what I use.

Milena

The woman of many questions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Irish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Photoshop is the best graphic editing tool for what you want, none other.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That is becoming less and less true as time goes on. I can name two programs that are much better at creating line art, lots that have better wacom support, and the OP is right, it's clunky with animation. I found GIMP's animation feature superior, and I thought that one was clunky too.

RANDROID

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the responses, guys. <3

I did some research on this, and it seems like most people are recommending Graphics Gale for 2D pixel art, but they say that it largely boils down to personal taste (of UIs and stuff).
I'll have to try out a few of these programs.

A super-informative thread:
https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14133

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The thread is interesting, but I don't know that it's informative, since the question posed is very broad. With artistic software it's going to depend a great deal on what you're using it for. Inkscape was mentioned, but it's an illustrator like program, made for creating vector art instead of rasterized images. It would be the worst possible choice for trying to animate pixel art, maybe even impossible. I'm all for using the right tool for the right job, and most pixel animators I know use Graphics Gale, (Pyxel Edit is fairly new and unknown).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ok i got the model New and I will develop a little more, I think my SV is not beautiful yet.
"I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream". In all seriousness, spatial BGM feature is now complete for my audio plugin.
Stream will be live shortly with some game development followed by the return of the Interactive Text Adventure after a short hiatus! Feel free to drop by!
Lately, I've taken to smashing random nouns/verbs together as insults. It's sort of amusing how many people don't really know how to respond to that. You bottle shaker!
Would be nice to pick color code that is not exclusively for message event

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avaross