Best time to release a game... or the worst?

Releasing a game now is...

• ... the best time, go for it!

• ... the worst time, wait a bit.

Results are only viewable after voting.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello,

With the quarantine in effect in a lot of countries, people are having a lot of free time and video games can help pass the time.

One could think that it's the perfect moment to release your game.

But...

You can find dozens of games given away for free by all sorts of publishers, just to help people pass the time.
And now, the best time could be considered the worst to release a game, as people are drown in games now.

What do you think?

Soulrender

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Everyone (or at least the most) sits on their buts in home, so I think it's good moment.

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don’t know if now is the best time to release a game.
I’m not buying any new games until this crisis is under control. My wife and I decided no non-essential purchasers. We’ve got a mortgage and don’t want to dip into our savings. My brother who is also a gamer is also not buying anything.

I think people are worried that this quarantine could take months. And that’s concerning.

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hard to say.

Sure people have time, but do they have the money? Many are probably home without pay and they don't know for how long. I'd argue that releasing a game in early January might have been a good time but right now... I dunno.

If there was news of many who's sitting it out would get government paychecks or something and the situation would let up a bit, then maybe it would be a good time.

Personally I'd probably not release a commercial game *right now*, not sure about 1-3 months ahead. If I had a free one though, I'd say it's very much the perfect time to release. Throw it out on the web and market it as a "here you guys, you can play this for free to pass time while we wait out the Corona pandemic". I'm sure anyone doing that would get a ton of appreciation and support.

But I assume you mean a commercial release in which case I'd have to say... it could go either way for you.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Depends. Commercial or not? If it's commercial, then it's a bad time because of the recession. If it's non commercial, it's probably a good time with many people staying home.

Golden Unicorn Gaming

Savior of Astoria
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Depends on your price point. All above comments are valid. Anything under $2 I think you can do whatever you want. Probably lose a few sales between 2-5 bucks, and above that definitely wait until the skies have cleared.

Former_Sky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I personally wouldn't worry about the pandemic, butI'd look to other game releases at this time. There's the FF7 Remake, RE3 Remake, and Animal Crossing that people have been waiting for and are playing now. I don't know whether there is overlap between customers of indie rpg maker games and big budget titles, but I think it's a bad time to release when there's so much out there you're competing against.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I personally wouldn't worry about the pandemic, butI'd look to other game releases at this time. There's the FF7 Remake, RE3 Remake, and Animal Crossing that people have been waiting for and are playing now. I don't know whether there is overlap between customers of indie rpg maker games and big budget titles, but I think it's a bad time to release when there's so much out there you're competing against.
That is true, but there is, hopefully, an opening for small indie games between all those AAA releases.
They never stop coming, so we have to get out even if it's raining AAA games all year long!

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it's a bit of both; but then, generally, there's never a good time to release something, because you're always competing with everything else no matter when you're releasing.

The only exception to this is if you have a game themed around a particular time of year, i.e. no-one will release a Christmas game in January.

Back when I launched my second book, I picked a day in Spring to launch it, many months beforehand... When it got closer, it turned out I'd picked the same day as Avengers: Endgame. I graciously decided to move my book launch (I wouldn't want to ruin their movie launch) (... ;)) but I think that was a special case; I was going up against the biggest media moment of (potentially) the decade.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@EthanFox It's interesting that you delayed your book's release when a movie was released at the same time.
They are two different media, and sometimes audience as well. Do you think it'd have a real impact on your book success?
I wouldn't think so, but I have never published a book.

pasunna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@EthanFox It's interesting that you delayed your book's release when a movie was released at the same time.
They are two different media, and sometimes audience as well. Do you think it'd have a real impact on your book success?
it may not same media
but people got only one pocket and 24 hr
so… avoid the mainstream media is not the bad idea

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You're right, they are different media - however, as a content creator, you're competing for time, so really you're competing with everything; books, Netflix, games...

As there's always stuff coming out, every single day, you shouldn't really let this stop you. I just did that in this case because Endgame was such a big event that I thought it would be a problem. Most things aren't an issue unless you're releasing something particularly similar.

Take NALE. I wouldn't stop a release of it for most things, but maybe I would if there was an Ace Attorney game coming out on the same weekend.

CuddleFox

Furry
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You can find dozens of games given away for free by all sorts of publishers, just to help people pass the time.
And now, the best time could be considered the worst to release a game, as people are drown in games now.
We're flooded with games all the time, the quarantine, even if it helps, doesn't change the fact that your game will be drowned by others, so this is the best time.

KoalaFrenzy

Eucalyptus Salad. Every day.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's no time without an extreme saturation of titles on the market, and it gets worse and worse all the time. If you look at charts on how many games have been released on steam year per year, you see that bar going up and up and up and 90% of it doesn't ever make more than $10k.

So with more and more games coming out, and people having more time to make games, I would say earlier is better if it's PC only. The coronavirus thing might be concerning, but unless you're willing to sit on it for a year before releasing it, what can you do?

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
In terms of purely games, I think its a bit of both really... It is a good time since you have more possible players, but also a bad time considering more devs might be thinking to release their games right now too, so you also get more competition...

Then there's the thing of money, right now some people have time, but are saving their money for food and more essential stuff. So people might not be necessarily looking for more games right now. The pricing of your game will probably have more impact right now...

Then there's also the changes in the lives of gamers (especially those working and/or with families) than could actually affect their playtime, and consequently their hunt for new games.

Personally, as a player, Im not looking for new games to buy right now because my Steam library has like 100 games I havent even downloaded yet... Plus I need to be frugal with money right now so that I can buy food during this pandemic.

TBH, I think if your game is ready, release it. If not, dont try to rush it just to make it released by this time.

hero_buddy

artist and pro cat petter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it all depends on your price point. if you're not selling your game for a huge amount of dollars, then i'd say there's no better time than right now to get your baby onto the market. if you're looking to really cash in though and sell it at a higher price, then you should probably wait a little and see if the dust settles on the global sitch.

a lot of countries are giving their citizens financial support at the moment due to the loss of jobs, so there's also that to take into account. they may be able to spare a couple bucks to pick up your game. not everyone is losing their job either. hell, my boyfriend still has to go into the office every day despite everything.

despite all this though, everyone's situations vary. some may be able to pick it up, and some may not. again, i'd say your price point is the deciding factor right now.

Dezue

*******.com/peninja
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
We've released three short games this month (for free) and it went great (even better than some of our earlier releases), so my recommendation would be:

DO IT NOW!
Or don't touch the cow, it's up to you :D
Anyway, new games help to make this crisis more tolerable, so kudos to everybody who releases theirs right now as well!

Stay funky,
Dez

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Free games are good. Good games are better. Great game are the best. So maybe spilt the difference? Make demos of the best games and if they like it they can buy it. Just make it cheaper than a Starbuck coffee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

*when the One Map Challenge is the only time you can finish a game*
Drifty wanted to make sure the default MV spark animation lived on, so he made it in Effekseer for the contest :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:
Thanks to a post in a forum thread we can better create MV/MZ plugins in Haxe.
Latest video of my adventures in Kingdom Hearts 3~
Imagine every unfunny joke gets a laugh track, and it doesn't top until you genuinely laugh at that unfunny joke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheFaz