Best time to release a game... or the worst?

Releasing a game now is...

• ... the best time, go for it!

• ... the worst time, wait a bit.

Results are only viewable after voting.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello,

With the quarantine in effect in a lot of countries, people are having a lot of free time and video games can help pass the time.

One could think that it's the perfect moment to release your game.

But...

You can find dozens of games given away for free by all sorts of publishers, just to help people pass the time.
And now, the best time could be considered the worst to release a game, as people are drown in games now.

What do you think?

Soulrender

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Everyone (or at least the most) sits on their buts in home, so I think it's good moment.

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don’t know if now is the best time to release a game.
I’m not buying any new games until this crisis is under control. My wife and I decided no non-essential purchasers. We’ve got a mortgage and don’t want to dip into our savings. My brother who is also a gamer is also not buying anything.

I think people are worried that this quarantine could take months. And that’s concerning.

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hard to say.

Sure people have time, but do they have the money? Many are probably home without pay and they don't know for how long. I'd argue that releasing a game in early January might have been a good time but right now... I dunno.

If there was news of many who's sitting it out would get government paychecks or something and the situation would let up a bit, then maybe it would be a good time.

Personally I'd probably not release a commercial game *right now*, not sure about 1-3 months ahead. If I had a free one though, I'd say it's very much the perfect time to release. Throw it out on the web and market it as a "here you guys, you can play this for free to pass time while we wait out the Corona pandemic". I'm sure anyone doing that would get a ton of appreciation and support.

But I assume you mean a commercial release in which case I'd have to say... it could go either way for you.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Depends. Commercial or not? If it's commercial, then it's a bad time because of the recession. If it's non commercial, it's probably a good time with many people staying home.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's weird I actually have MORE work to do when stuck at home than before.
The No Travel Game Jam is here! Jump in to make a game in the month of April that takes place all in one town!

Decided to take a stab at video editing.... Even made a clickbait screen. I'm so proud of my sellout ways. :LZSexcite:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stacyjast