waawaaaa

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Fairly new to RPG Maker so not sure what difference is in each version, got the rpgmaker humble bundle so I have 2000, 2003, MV, VX, VX Ace and XP and a couple asset packs I think. Want to make a basic dungeon crawler game, chose classes, have mobs and bosses, random loot drops, vendors, random room generators and puzzles. Which version would be the best to make a game like this in?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
[move]Product Discussion and Support[/move]

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm not super familiar with dungeon crawlers, but I think you can do all of what you mentioned in XP and up. You might even be able to do it in 2k and 2k3 if you're willing to put in the effort to get the events to work. You might want to check out the scripts and plugins for each engine, and see which one has existing scripts for everything.

Here, lemme give you a quick rundown of the most important differences between engines. 2k and 2k3 have the most versatile and powerful eventing system, but no scripting, and some hefty image limitations. The tiles are 16x16. 2k has a front view battle system, 2k3 has a side view. XP has he best mapping system and the tiles are 32x32. The other systems mostly aren't as good as later versions. VX isn't worth considering, since Ace is better than VX in every way. Ace has a more limited mapping system, but is improved a lot in other ways. If you care about diversity and stability of scripts and other resources, Ace is currently the best. It's also the last one to use 32x32 tiles as default. MV is a lot like Ace, but has a better mapping system and uses 48x48 tiles. The biggest difference is the shift of programming language. It's now plugins, not scripts, and it's the only version that can be run on Mac and Linux.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Be advised there is no random room generator in ANY of the engines either. You can simulate it by making the rooms and using a random variable to decide which one is used, but having it generate one on the fly doesn't exist. I think there might be scripts/plug-ins in works for it in MV, but I haven't seen one released yet.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As said above it comes down to a choice between three versions: XP, Ace or MV.
Each have different advantages and disadvantages:

RMXP:
pro: manual layering with 3 layers in mapping - this means a bit more care and work are needed but much more flexibility in mapping.
con: oldest (was made for Windows XP), which means that a number of its scripts are already lost, its scripting was more difficult to use than ater versions, compatibility problems when installing on newer windows versions (workarounds exist)

RMVXA (Ace):
pro: highest number of available scripts, stable, only one with stable scripts for random map generation
con: mapping has automated layering limited to two layers only (worst mapping of the three in final selection)

RMMV:
pro: newest maker, still updated, ONLY maker that can deploy to non-windows (Mac and Linux have full editor through Steam, Android and iOS is export only for games that were made with mobile limitations in mind), decent mapping (automated layering with 3 layers)
con: because it is still updated, some plugins can become incompatible on updates (which is why project updates are always manual) and there is a chance that an update creates new bugs

waawaaaa

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
As said above it comes down to a choice between three versions: XP, Ace or MV.
Each have different advantages and disadvantages:

RMXP:
pro: manual layering with 3 layers in mapping - this means a bit more care and work are needed but much more flexibility in mapping.
con: oldest (was made for Windows XP), which means that a number of its scripts are already lost, its scripting was more difficult to use than ater versions, compatibility problems when installing on newer windows versions (workarounds exist)

RMVXA (Ace):
pro: highest number of available scripts, stable, only one with stable scripts for random map generation
con: mapping has automated layering limited to two layers only (worst mapping of the three in final selection)

RMMV:
pro: newest maker, still updated, ONLY maker that can deploy to non-windows (Mac and Linux have full editor through Steam, Android and iOS is export only for games that were made with mobile limitations in mind), decent mapping (automated layering with 3 layers)
con: because it is still updated, some plugins can become incompatible on updates (which is why project updates are always manual) and there is a chance that an update creates new bugs

Some really useful info, thanks. Might look into both Ace and MV

waawaaaa

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Be advised there is no random room generator in ANY of the engines either. You can simulate it by making the rooms and using a random variable to decide which one is used, but having it generate one on the fly doesn't exist. I think there might be scripts/plug-ins in works for it in MV, but I haven't seen one released yet.

Might just make set maps then to start off and then see what I could do with a random room variable. Thanks

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Started work on the fishing Mini-Game
The Dark Toon art style is now available as Steam branches. (Both for the main game and the demo)
Battle.jpgCaptain.jpgCutsene.jpg
There are 2 versions. One only affects combat, cutscene, and portraits. The other one changes more.
So, technically, the game now has 7 versions on steam.
Arcade-Style RPGM Games? RM2k3 Game Jam & Synth-Retro Music by Azakaela | RPG Maker News #39

Just evented my first minigame, no plugins~ :kaojoy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lakam47