Best video capture software for rpg maker?

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by saintivan, Nov 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saintivan

saintivan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    When I use Bandicam, the software automatically starts the game back at the title screen (no matter what point during playtesting I start to record). I have heard other video capture software does the same thing, but I know people have been able to video capture gameplay without this issue. Any knowledge on this topic would be appreciated.

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've moved this thread to Program and Utility Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Please do a search, as this question has been asked and answered several times already.

3. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    By default, F12 is a reset function in RPG Maker and it can't be changed. There's alternative, you can change hotkey for start record in bandicam. Try to figure that out

Marsigne and saintivan like this.
  4. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I use Hypercam2 for my video capture needs.  XD

Also, you can always try to start the capture first while  the game is not focused/selected then focus to the game afterwards

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2014
    saintivan likes this.
  5. Gothic Lolita

Gothic Lolita YouTube Starlet Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you have an NVIDIA, I can recommend ShadowPlay, you can start a record with "alt & F9" and stop the record the same way.
    You don't have any limitations with that with time and size. ;) (\s/)

saintivan likes this.
  6. boldpaste2

boldpaste2 The Dragon Heretics Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Open broadcast software is good if set to capture mode. It does not leave a watermark and it can record based on the windows screen resolution. Fraps works to but it makes really big files.

daisyfairy42 and saintivan like this.
  7. saintivan

First Language:
    english
    @TheoAllen: Thank you, that did the trick! I tried customer support with BandiCam first and they did not know the answer. I will also check out the software the rest of you were kind enough to suggest on this thread.

8. SebazWorld

SebazWorld Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I reccomend OBS, it can record RPG Maker with no extra lag (if your game has lag it won't have any more), stream, and you can add facecam, pictures, and text to the video. :)

saintivan likes this.
  9. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    I've used a multitude of game captures, and I vote for Bandicam. It's free edition only allows like 10 minutes of recording each session and applies a watermark, but the paid for edition is not all that expensive. I never did care for Hypercam much.

saintivan likes this.
  10. Arin

Arin Tonight...we dine...in-oh a piece of candy! Veteran

First Language:
    Fraglspock
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Camtasia is the one I recommend the most. It's both a video capture software AND editor, so you don't have to spend any extra time getting another piece of software just to find out it won't work. There's a lot of functions that you can do in Camtasia that you can't do in any other recording software, like zooming in the track (you ever wonder how I was able to get 720p on RPG Maker? That's why.) without distorting the screen size. It's costly (about $300) but so very well worth it. Definitely better than some of the cheaper alternatives.

saintivan likes this.
  11. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    Eh, $300. But then, I'm sure you get what you to pay for. But, I do find that Freemake is a decent alternative as an editor, as long as you're not expecting a great amount of options. It's not perfect, but as cheap (as in free) alternative, it's fine for handling the basics.

12. saintivan

First Language:
    english
    @Arin: I have Corel Video Studio editing software (pro studio x5). Hopefully it will be able to do to gameplay footage what it can do with regular camcorder video.

13. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I found software used for broadcasting (live streaming) that also records video at a good frame rate.  However, before recording, make sure to choose the correct encoding options or trying to edit it will land you with a big headache...lol

https://obsproject.com/

saintivan likes this.
  14. GamingGoddess

GamingGoddess Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I know this is kind of an old post but I am having the same problem. I have a nice gaming laptop and can run just about anything flawlessly, but when I can not figure out how to recorded this rpg maker game that was given too me on steam. I've used Dxtory it works good but it cuts the top and bottom of the game off. I have tired OBS and I can not get the audio to record if my life depended on it. Now I did see someone to use Nvidia shadow play. Yes I have an Nvidia graphics card but for some reason it will not recorded the game any suggestions on how to fix that problem in particular. 

15. saintivan

First Language:
    english
    While playing, Bandicam is very good at recording.

16. SebazWorld

SebazWorld Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You should still use OBS (it's the best in my opinion, at least for RPG Maker) but then you should use Audacity to record audio. It's good because you can also use it to edit your audio (remove background noise, increase volume, etc.). You can then combine them in something like Movie Maker (unless you have a better editing software).

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2016
    readydotexe likes this.
  17. gigijones

gigijones Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I highly recommend TuneFab Screen Recorder! It's, in my opinion, much better than the others.

It has 2 modes - one for recording your desktop screen and video like games, and another mode for recording audio like music or Skype calls.

It definitely doesn't have a virus.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  18. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

gigijones, please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.