Best video game battle system?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by LooseLeaf, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Euphony

Euphony Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Dragon's Dogma. In particular, playing as a strider (archery + dual daggers) is probably the most fun I've ever had in a game combat-wise.

2. Harmonica

Harmonica Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I personally find FFX to have the best battle system hands down.  The 3 party system always bothered me because I wanted to have everyone fighting.  However, having more than 3 members in battle also has the drawback of slowing things down and creates balancing issues.  FFX let us have the best of both worlds.  It also brought a new layer of strategy to the series with the CTB system, which also has synergy with the ability to rotate characters.  In addition the Aeon system worked perfectly with the two and throw in the Sphere Grid's ability to customize your characters... SO GOOD!

3. gundriveth

gundriveth Medievaliant Veteran

First Language:
    Bahasa
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Best video game battle system for me is Suikoden 2, simple yet really addictive! 

Tea's Jams likes this.
  4. Sated

Sated puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm with you. The battle-system from the Grandia games is amazing and it's probably my favourite type of battle-system.

I've always thought that the battle-system used in Final Fantasy X is the pinnacle of traditional turn-based battle-systems and I've yet to see anything to convince me otherwise. Part of me likes to think that the reason SE don't bother with traditional turn-based battle-systems any more is because they know they can't do any better :p This would probably be my second favourite battle-system.

In third place, and although a lot of people really disliked the game for its linear nature, come the battle-system in Final Fantasy XIII. I really liked it, but it's a shame it takes so long for the game to properly give you the full range of options that you're supposed to have. The first few hours of that game play more like a tutorial, and if it wasn't a Final Fantasy game then I'd have likely stopped playing, but once I got a few hours in I honestly loved that battle-system. It helped a lot that I used the setting that prevents "Auto Battle" from being the first option on the command list. If you use the "Auto Battle" option then I don't think the battle-system is fun at all and it baffles me as to why they'd bother including it!

Honourable mentions:

Breath Of Fire: Dragon Quarter had a load of interesting mechanics and not just in battle. As far as the battles went, being able to lay traps for on-map encounters to damage themselves on before actually engaging them in a proper battle was a really cool concept. 

Fallout 1 and Fallout 2's tactical turn-based battle systems are really cool. The power of positioning and proper planning really shines when you come up against some of the game's stronger encounters, and there are a ridiculously large number of viable play-styles in both games. I was originally upset when Fallout 3 was announced because they were changing to a first-person combat system, but Fallout 3New Vegas and now Fallout 4 have all been awesome so I really can't complain.

Rhapsody: A Music Adventure had a really cute tactical RPG. I really liked it at the time, even though I don't remember the specifics. Maybe I'm just looking at it through rose-tinted lenses having been ridiculously annoyed at how they changes the battle system for the Nintendo DS port :(

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  5. Iavra

Iavra Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Looks like i totally forgot to mention my 2nd favorite battle system, right after FFX: MGS 5. The game might have flaws, but the gameplay and battle system is probably the best, non turn-based i've ever seen. I'm 50 hours into the game and just recently got to the 2nd continent, because i really try to do everything perfect and exploit all the options i've been given.

/edit: And of those 50 hours, i've played about 48 with nothing but the tranquilizer gun (+ the dog, always the dog).

6. Chester

Chester Meow Kitten Veteran

First Language:
    Cat Tongue
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    RPG Maker because it has what RPGs should have hence the name RPG Maker.

Hehe...meow :3

7. penguinaire

penguinaire Queen Dedede Member

First Language:
    English
    Fire Emblem Awakening isn't fantastic, but I think it is undoubtedly my favorite tactics game for the battle system alone. It's fast paced - and the ability to skip ahead when things aren't is a godsend. It has a nice element of strategy, and the support system makes grinding feel rewarding.

As much as everyone antagonizes Undertale here - and I understand their points, I assure you - , I truly enjoy the battle system. Something about turn based systems with a twist always make me feel great. Same goes for Mario and Luigi dream team, which is undeniably fun to play.

I doubt platformers count but... Megaman X is so good...

Final Fantasy Dissidia was fun as heck (If only it's multiplayer worked well)

8. Nocturnic

Nocturnic Designer and Story Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Dragon Age: Origins, South Park: The Stick of Truth and Divinity: Original Sin (I have the Enhanced Edition) are my favorites.

9. jpitts

jpitts Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    YES, love Grandia's battle system. The first game was amazing. Wish they would do a remake, or at least a PC port.

As for my favorite battle system, I think Final Fantasy X-2 was phenomenal in that department. That said, its been a while since I've played it. 

10. Sakuri

Sakuri Today is Today Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Chrono Trigger, i can not find the reason why i love the battle system but it makes running into enemies fun

jwideman likes this.
  11. jwideman

jwideman Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    For me, it was that it was like a hybrid of Zelda and Final Fantasy. More action than an ATB system, but more strategic than mashing buttons.

12. Chorvaqueen

Chorvaqueen Professional Tonio Apologist Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Gonna list a few games with battle systems that I really love:

Valkyrie Profile. Turn based but real time combo system, it was something I've never seen before when I first played it. The sequel took it on another level with walkable 3d maps in real time and terrain advantage/disadvantage.

Gotta love missing on those hamsters too.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night. Immediately fell in love with its system since I came from playing Mega Man. The addition of doing certain button combinations to cast spells is a really nice touch altho they can be really tricky.

Legend of Mana, I like the real time 2.5D system. My only complaint is the lack of true vertical movement but that's just a visual nitpick.

Legend of Legaia, While it's turn-based, it had a feature where you can do custom directional button inputs to initiate a skill.

Digimon World 1. I first played Pokemon on the GBC but when I got my hands on this game, I never looked back. Was disappointed with DW 2 and DW 3 tho.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2016
  13. LaFlibuste

LaFlibuste Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    It's a though question! Let's see, in no particular order:

Chrono Trigger was indeed cool. I especially liked how there were no random encounters. Also, battles happening directly on the map and coop-techs (I don't remember the exact name they give those) were cool additions. And I just plain loved the characters and the sprites. As for the few skills that used zones or stuff (like slash), it was certainly cool as one of the first games to try it but in retrospect it was a bit limited and primitive.

As far as traditional side-view battle systems go, FFX was indeed pretty cool. I liked that they ditched the ATB, I can't stand those anymore. I got a bit tired of switching my characters around by the endgame, though, and I didn't care much about the levelling system.

I also liked Legend of dragoons. The button timing for skills was fun. (although I hated the end, it was so cheesy, I felt a bit cheated).

I liked the more action-based Tales system, although I must admit I haven't played a Tales game since Tales of Destiny, so I can't comment much on it.

I liked Secret of Mana as the first ARPG I really played, it was efficient. I hated Legend of mana, though, Battles were more static (your screen was locked), dungeons felt like street fighter levels and I thought the world-map making gimmick was plain dumb.

I wouldn't have counted Batman Arkham City as I was more RPG-centered, but I admit it was a fun game.

On the TRPG front, I of course liked FFT. I don't remember much of it, but I remember also liking Bahamut Lagoon. I also liked Ogre Battle: March of the black queen (haven't played any other title in the series).

I had forgotten about Live a live, but yeah, I liked that one too.

Aside from all that, a game no one has talked about so far: Shadowrun Returns. I admit that I'm partial to loving the setting. The battle system is relatively simple but it is efficient. It's more of a tactical system, it's a bit reminiscent of the first Fallout titles (although the levelling system is entirely different but that's another matter).

For the records, I hated Grandia. I thought the battles were slow-paced and the system felt clunky. The fact that I couldn't stand the characters didn't really help either, I'd have punched 'em in the face if I could've.

I also hated Legend of Legaia, but it has probably more to do about the fact that I played it as a grown up, at an age I was sick of the ATB and critical enough to hate the cliché storyline.

14. Sailerius

Sailerius Engineer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I have to go with Metal Gear Solid V. In spite of being a stealth/action game, it felt structured like the way RPGs should be: tight focus on preparation, tactics, and situational awareness. It felt the most like an RPG of any game I've played in a long time. It's the mark of truly great gameplay that I enjoyed it even though I hate stealth games.

15. roiaa

roiaa Freelance artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    • Chrono Trigger
    • bayonetta
    • dark souls 2

16. Failivrin

Failivrin Final Frontiersman Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow, everybody seems to have very different opinions. I honestly hated everything about FFX and thought Chrono Trigger, though entertaining, was too easy.
    FFIV had the most strategic turn based combat. Every boss had a unique gimick closely related to their personality. It always kept you on your toes, providing new challenges so you couldn't spam the same attacks over and over again.
    Crisis Core had a well-paced blend of turn based and action styles. Not difficult but exceptionally satisfying.
    Popolocrois made an interesting blend of classic tactics with Chrono Trigger combos and faster pace.
    But my favorite might actually be Jean D'Arc on PSP. It seriously streamlined the clunky elements of classic tactics RPGs. You crafted skills instead of weapons and items. Attack bonuses were provided for surrounding an opponent; Defense bonuses for forming a phalanx. Wide variety of spells and skills enabled some neat strategic tricks. Elemental strengths/weaknesses were optional and customisable. Last but not least, some characters have a limit-break mode which allows them an extra move for every coup de grace. I once cleared half the battlefield in what was effectively a single turn.

17. umbralshadows

umbralshadows the silks angel Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Legend of legaia > everything else's battle sys. That stuff's to much fun.

18. CleanWater

CleanWater Independent Developer Veteran

First Language:
    PT-BR
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    For me it was Legend of Legaia.

You could do a lot of neat fighting combos to deliver the most of the damage, plus not every move was effective on every enemy. The magic system (pokemon-like XD ) was really fun to use too, and grind each Seru to max level was really addicting.

By the way, I learned how to fight playing that game. :mrsatan:

I surely would buy this game again, if they release it for Steam, and would love to see a direct sequel/prequel of this game.

19. Sarah79

Sarah79 Irresponsible Captain Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    SRPG - Disgaea
    It's a statistical playground, I love being able to just build and build and build.
    I love that exploits and shortcuts are purposely left in the game. I have only one issue with it. Grinding takes far too long. The game demands all of your time, something that as an adult I no longer have.

2D fighter - Blazblue Chrono Phantasm
    It is the tightest, fastest fighter I have ever played. My only regret is that I am not a good enough player to truely take advantage of it's more advanced characters.

3D Fighters - DBZ Budokai 3/Shin Budokai
    It was the best recreation of anime combat I have seen in my life. Shin budokai was a recreation for PSP that deserved more attention.

JRPG - Conception 2: Children of the Seven Stars
    It had the best level and difficulty curve while also bringing back semi random dungeons for replayability. My favorite features however were that there were Disgaea like class creation, Breath of Fire Transformations AND a invisble chess board style movement, where you only use white tiles and the enemy only uses black tiles.

Rythem Games - Project D.Va 2
    The perfect mixturr of replayablity and arcade style play. The third became aware that it was a console game in a way that actively pissed me off.

20. jmike

jmike Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hoo boy I'm going to get a lot of hate for this but Final Fantasy XII for me. Gambits are genius, sure you can let the game play itself but that's pretty stupid. I enjoyed the boss battles, kept me on my toes and each one felt different. I think it's the best "modern" rpg where you can move during the battle, the ability to move might have been just an illusion of control but it was fun nevertheless.

TCRegan likes this.