Best Way for Organizing Writing?

meribiaa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Writing out events and flavour text is definitely my favourite part, but so far I've mostly been just copy pasting from Word or just writing it straight into RM and this doesn't really let me work ahead very much. How do you organize your writing? Excel? Programs like ChatMapper?

palatkorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
google drive Excel

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
a notepad and a pen.

additionally you can try wordanvil.com.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use multiple word documents. I write the story in 3 steps:

1. I write the general events of the story in chronological order. I don't go into details. One full chapter here can be summarized in one paragraph only. This gives me a big picture of the full story.

2. From the summary from point 1, I go chapter by chapter and lay out the series of quests to be completed in order to finish the chapter. I basically put more details by dividend the portion of the story from point 1 into multiple quests. For each quest, I just write the general events, who goes where and why, who fights who, and who meets who, etc.

3. For each quest from point 2, I write the full dialogue. This is where all the full script of the game is created. This is the text that will appear in game.

So basically, I have one word document per chapter with all the script of that chapter inside. I used to then copy/paste the lines from the word document into RPG Maker. But recently, I'm developing a plugin where I put the text into the code and the plugin will take care of the dialogue and the language (I'm aiming for multiple languages that can be changed mid-game).

TLDR: I have top to down approach, writing only the big lines to get the full story, then rewriting the story with more details, until I get a complete script.

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use Trello, Check it out. Its a great free organizing program.

You can divide your whole Game Plot into smaller "Blocks" of Data, Drag them or re-arrange them easily. I use them to map out Quest Progression or simply the various Features in my Game.

dreamfall887

Sun Spirit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I tend to get distracted easily when I am brainstorming or looking for inspiration for my game. I just make sure to keep a notebook with me or microsoft word open to take notes.
If a song inspires me I make a playlist on my youtube channel. If a picture inspires me I save it in a folder so I can look at it later etc :)
I also find making lists help. I make to-do lists so I know what I need to buy, need to make, need to find, need to request, need advice etc.

Hope this helps you!

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I’ve tried several programs mentioned, but the one I use for actual writing is Celtx. It has several templates you can choose from (Novel format, screenwriting format, etc.). I end up using the screenwriting format for cutscenes, side quests and the main quest. It also has a character database where you can add characters and see in which scenes they appear.
It’s not a free program though, but there is still a free (limited) online version. I’m using an older standalone version which isn’t available for download anymore. On the plus side, it seems they’ve actually added a format for game writing, which doesn’t exist in my version.

Trello is also a good one when it comes to actually organizing and progress keeping. I’ve used it for keeping track of goals, timeline and worldbuilding. You can share your board with others, which is handy if you work in team. I use the online version, so I can work on it during downtime at work.

I’ve also recently used Twine for the first time. It’s a free tool with both an online and standalone version. It’s a great tool if your plot has a lot of branching storylines. (You can even use Twine to creat a tekst adventure game). It’s a bit similar to the Chat Mapper tool you mentioned, except less visual.

I wouldn’t use Excel for actual writing or organizing your writing, but it’s great for database stuff.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As said above, there are a lot of ways to organize writing.

That goes from using small cards and a register box over simply being intelligent on sorting and writing in a regular notebook and a number of free programs to the professional programs like articy:draft.
And a lot depends on what you want to organize for - articy:draft is not cheap (even on a sale you have to be lucky to get the limited steam version for less than 80$, and the full server cost for multiple-company-licence goes to four digits), but has been the choice for many professional developing companies due to its many functions (including simulating branching storyflow).

For a hobby developer on the other hand, pen and paper are often even better than the free programs because every program has either some restrictions or does only limited work in organizing.

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mmmm, personally any tool works for me. This is how I usually organize my idea :
  1. Tell a friend
    Literally talk to a friend and tell em my story idea. NOT discuss yet, just tell. Discussing comes later. This help me grasp notable point of my own idea. Then I wrote down those point I just speak out.
  2. Rough naration
    More like don't think, just do. Write it from start to finish based on those point. Then put a version number on it (V0.1).
  3. Documentation
    It's where I start seriously thinkin bout the setting, world build, cast, etc, put it on documentation and database form. Perhaps it's because I'm too used from my work, doing this calms me down from excitement. Also I use google sheet.
  4. Repeat the cycle
    Until it satisfy what I need.

meribiaa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ohh thank you, everyone! This was really interesting to read. :kaojoy:

I'm used to novel writing, so the fact that the content of the game was going to be scattered around kind of threw a wrench into my usual style of working.

Thanks for the program breakdown! @slimmmeiske2 mentioning Celtx reminded me that I have Scrivener already, and it can be used for screen writing, organizing into parts, etc., but keeps the full project together and easily searchable. I've started writing the next scene in that, and so far it's already miles ahead of the disorganized sprawl I had going before! lol

And it's true that getting too fancy with the programs isn't particularly necessary, especially depending on the scope and nature of the game. I think I sometimes get a bit too excited about the opportunity to try something new and shiny, but that only adds more complexity, not less. :kaoswt:

I'm impressed by those that go the long document route, or even writing by hand! :o That's really cool. I love writing by hand for free writing, but organizing my work makes me want something a little more fluid.

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use scrivener, which I've had for years. Really helps to organize your complex stories, characters, backgrounds, etc.

It does cost money, but it's a pretty small fee.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I write in Word and a Physical Notepad.

I organized it initially by creating "a history of the world" (this helped a lot as I primarily write books, and writing for games tends to be a lot more like writing screenplays or stage plays). That is, a charted and dated timeline with major events and "author commentary" on the world they were living in (I found it easier to create a character that wrote this history rather than try to chart it all myself, so all knowledge given is from the perspective of someone inhabiting that world rather than from myself just trying to make things work). I then created my usual "10 plot points" synopsis of the story.

I use both documents to do things like flavor text. Though, admittedly, the flavor text itself has often "come out of nowhere" and informed the world at large what it is like.

For example:
I have a Longsword named simply "Jousting Sword". Description is as follows: "Jousting on Sylstin was short lived, but this light Long Sword was a necessary advantage."

Why was it short lived? No more horses on the island. Why are there no horses on the island? Long story and part of the history of the world. But, it stems from the fact that I'm not using horse sprites anywhere and don't really have any. So... no horses on the island... which means I need a reason they don't exist on the island... but the idea that the island had specialized swords just for Jousting is interesting to me, so it's a weapon.

If it helps, I tend to also organize many aspects into what probably looks like the "Codex" from the Mass Effect series. All pertinent information related to a subject organized into a specific location and under specific headings. I need only do a "Find" command to see what I'd written about it later. Any new lore I come up with during the game creation process immediately finds its way back into these documents to see if it contradicts anything or to see if it makes me require a lot of rewriting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I've been experimenting with improved memory management again, which allowed me to include items to increase player path length. These are both 44 grid spaces long, and stable. :LZSexcite:
I FINALLY DID IT! 5 years making my very first game and I just officially released it on STEAM..... OMG..... I can say I finished a game! The feelings!!!!!
Stream will be live shortly! I am going to be playing some Among Us! Feel free to drop by!
Ami
tv program always get the ratings (it's the reason why drama series has 1000+ episode),also full and nonsense of censorship (weird blur, a scene getting cut because the unconvenient viewer,but it unconvenient to me either. you never see what the original is)

i know the reason is to take cover the viewer from the negative thing,but i just laughing and mocking of them that they're always suck :guffaw:
Star Chart Idea - Just something I am working on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kleik