Best way to make a picture menu/achieve this screenshot?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by IAmJakeSauvage, May 21, 2018.

1. IAmJakeSauvage

IAmJakeSauvage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey guys,

I've attached a mockup of what I'm looking to do and I'm just wondering the best way to go about it. Essentially, the only thing changing on the page are the character portraits/hearts as their relationship variable increases and I'm wondering what would be the best way to go about this?

RelationshipMockup.png

Thanks in advance!,

2. AdamSakuru

AdamSakuru [Null_Value] Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Is this going to be a custom menu page? Or something you could do with parallel process eventing?
    (I made the shop menu in my game with parallel processes)

3. Kuro DCupu

Kuro DCupu Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What I can think of is using show pictures. Five picture ID will be used with lotsa image prepared for every possible condition (pic of 1 heart, pic of 2 heart, pic of 3 heart, etc). If you don't want to be bothered coordinating, you can have all the picture's dimension in screen size. This is the easiest-static way, and most people do that.

Although if it's me, I will use more picture to decorate and animate the thing.

4. AdamSakuru

AdamSakuru [Null_Value] Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Okay, I'll give you my rundown of how I'd do this, but this is assuming it's not some scene you're coding that's accessed from the main menu or something.

Have a parallel process start as you transfer the player to a room with black tiles that cover the player. The parallel process would bring up the images of the two characters. Then you run a check on two variables (their heart variables) and have the parallel process draw the hearts in position based on the variables.

Assuming the hearts can also be halves. The variable can go from 1 to 10. every 2 points is a full heart.
    The man has 4 and the woman has 2, so when the check is run, you have a bunch of conditional branches that can occur based on the man's value and the woman's. It would then place two full heart graphics for the man and one for the woman.

When the process is done, a switch can turn on to have the parallel process turn into a different one. This time, the process waits for player input or for them to hit escape or something.

Edit: Check out the file I uploaded with this post. That's a custom shop scene I made with just pictures and a parallel process. The default shop menu comes up when you shop, but otherwise it's custom made. If you need any help with this trying to figure it out shoot me a text or give me a call and I can try to walk you through it.

Attached Files:

IAmJakeSauvage likes this.
  5. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's just the hearts that change right?

If so try galv's variable bar plugin.
    https://galvs-scripts.com/2017/09/24/mv-variable-bar/
    You set the empty graphics and then the full graphics. Each bar needs 2 variable assigned to it. A maximum value and the current value.

6. IAmJakeSauvage

IAmJakeSauvage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm actually using this plugin to create an "encounter bar" and never even thought about using it for this (I didn't realize you could create multiple instances of the bar)! You're totally right though - I just tried it out in the mock up and it works perfectly. Thanks for the awesome suggestion. :kaoluv:

OnslaughtSupply likes this.
  7. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No problem.

IAmJakeSauvage likes this.