Best way to move NPCS/Event locations at different points in a story?

Hayden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Let's say I have a village, and a variable that controls the story of my game.

I want the NPCs in the village to all be at different positions when I reach a certain point in the story.

What's the cleanest, easiest way to do this?

I know I can have an event that auto runs when a variable is at or above a certain number which then can have heaps of Set Event Location commands to move everyone around.

The annoying part about this is when I have a lot of different times I want the NPCs to be in different locations. I can use the same event for each one and have different pages full of all the different Set Event Location commands, but then you only get 20 pages, and even then, you can't really have 20 pages because you need to end the autorun event for each one, so you only get 10.

Thanks.

Pots Talos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would use a common event that checks the variable and moves the events based on that. This will remove the need for event pages.
Something like this:
1.PNG

Hayden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would use a common event that checks the variable and moves the events based on that. This will remove the need for event pages.
Something like this:
View attachment 199692

How would you trigger the common event though?

Just set it to parallel?

Piyan Glupak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I would be a little cautious about having too many parallel processes going on at once. If you already have a time/daylight system involving a parallel event, you could try using it to call the common event that moves the events at suitable time intervals. Perhaps once per day would suite game-play?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you are all making one of the base mistakes about events and NPCs:

You must always remember:
You don't have NPCs at all on your maps, you have events pretending to be NPCs.

As such, the easiest solution is to have multiple events pretending to be the same NPC.
So you have one event at the original position and a different event at the new position, and you make the conditions for those events based on a stage or chapter number that disables the first event and enables the second event when the chapter number is high enough.

Pots Talos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Andar
Yes that can work and is recommend if you don't have a lot of events but if you have a lot of different event location changes this can create confusing maps where there are events everywhere and make it hard to find a specific event.

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just duplicate your maps, then separate them into chapters.
Nothing's wrong with doing it like this.
1630076859962.png

• Easier to track
  • Won't complicate your event
  • As simple as copy and paste
  • Recommended after you follow the advice mentioned above yet your events is still too much to handle
The only downside is, be extra careful when doing player transfer.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

It's a Spanish devlog don't get scared!. (please)
Q:"Why don't you get a job?"
A: Posting statuses IS my job. It just so happens to not pay and happen periodically over the course of three months.
My new 49" monitor has been dispatched from the warehouse. Will it arrive tomorrow? The day after? I love that we can track packages now, even if it does only tell me when it's left that end and when it's arrived at the local centre. As long as it doesn't end up in Melbourne again, which has happened before ...
My friend's doing a surprise stream of my game Origin Hunt on Twitch here ! Feel free to stop by :yhappy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slimakiswinka