Hayden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, this is more to do with optimization when it comes to image files.

I've got a whole bunch of props in this game I'm currently working on. Things like a letter, a pair of pants, a stone, etc. The player is able to interact and pick them up in most cases.

What's the best way to set these up?

Would it be to create a single character sheet and call it props_01 or whatever, and then just have 9 prop items on there?

This is way better than say, having a separate sheet for each prop, right?

Thanks.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That is more or less what I do, though I call it "Found items".
Use a sprite sheet the same size as an ordinary 8 character sprite sheet, that gives you 96 spaces for things. Anything bigger & it's inefficient for finding things. One item per cell.

You must remember to check the 'Direction Fix' box, bottom left of the event page, otherwise when the player interacts with the object it will change into the image on the adjacent space.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
On a single sheet if it starts with $, you can have 12 items, not 9. If you leave off the $, you can have 96 of them.

I have a few different sheets where I group similar-sized items. Some might be the size of a single tile. Some might extend over 2 or more tiles.

Something you might consider is, if you have many of these - enough to fill quite a few sheets - group them together based on the maps they'll appear on. This will allow your game to load, for example, a single 12x8 sheet with 48x48 cells, which contains all the graphics for 20 events on the current and nearby maps; the alternative, if you don't organize them by map, could end up loading 5 12x8 sheets with 48x48 cells. This will obviously require more RAM and take longer to load - which may not be an issue at all if you are deploying to desktop, but could make a huge difference if you are deploying to mobile devices or are hosting your game online where resources will be loaded over an internet connection.

A further alternative, if you are building your own tile sheets, and the sprites all fit into 48x48 squares, is to put them onto the tile sheet rather than character sheets. This means there will be NO additional loading time or memory requirements, and as long as you use the B-E tile sheets, you can select the sprite from the tile sheet for your event.

Hayden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That is more or less what I do, though I call it "Found items".
Use a sprite sheet the same size as an ordinary 8 character sprite sheet, that gives you 96 spaces for things. Anything bigger & it's inefficient for finding things. One item per cell.

You must remember to check the 'Direction Fix' box, bottom left of the event page, otherwise when the player interacts with the object it will change into the image on the adjacent space.
Okay, this is exactly what I was doing, but with a single character sheet instead of the 8. Not sure if I need that many items for this and didn't want to use a larger sheet unless I had to.

Nice to know this way is a good way of going about it.

And yeh, I've forgotten to turn on direction fix more than once lol.

On a single sheet if it starts with $, you can have 12 items, not 9. If you leave off the $, you can have 96 of them.

I have a few different sheets where I group similar-sized items. Some might be the size of a single tile. Some might extend over 2 or more tiles.

Something you might consider is, if you have many of these - enough to fill quite a few sheets - group them together based on the maps they'll appear on. This will allow your game to load, for example, a single 12x8 sheet with 48x48 cells, which contains all the graphics for 20 events on the current and nearby maps; the alternative, if you don't organize them by map, could end up loading 5 12x8 sheets with 48x48 cells. This will obviously require more RAM and take longer to load - which may not be an issue at all if you are deploying to desktop, but could make a huge difference if you are deploying to mobile devices or are hosting your game online where resources will be loaded over an internet connection.

A further alternative, if you are building your own tile sheets, and the sprites all fit into 48x48 squares, is to put them onto the tile sheet rather than character sheets. This means there will be NO additional loading time or memory requirements, and as long as you use the B-E tile sheets, you can select the sprite from the tile sheet for your event.

Ah, grouping them by map is a good idea. I usually sort of do that anyway just naturally as I'm making them.

I could do the tile sheet approach you suggest, but I'd prefer not to as I usually end up using most of my sheets.

Thanks for the help fellas!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Exploding Fruits and Rasaks Pixelfarm Assets | RPG Maker News #108

So ghosts can go through walls and stuff, and depending their type (according to fantasy media) they can or can't interact with objects to a certain degree...

So why they don't always fall through floors? Do they always float and sometimes simulate walking? If things go through them how can they hear/see? And why sometimes they have clothing? Do clothes die as well?
my birthday was yesterday...
i feel closer 2 being able 2 get a discount on the kids menu than i do being able to buy booze1627428008986.png
Getting to play your RM game on Steam Deck? How cool is that?
The best among us don't set out to be heroes. They don't want that job. They just set out to do the things nobody else wants to do. Because... someone has to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Switchboy0815