Best way to promote your games?

Reaction score
First Language
dutch
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I seen games like pocket mirror, DELETE, ib, etc been getting lotta fame in this community and mostly by youtubers.

so i been wondering how poeple from this community promote thier rpg maker games in thier way.

I created this thread mosly cause a lot of games i have seen here ( and especially horror games)
have been one hit wonders by gamejolt, itch.io, and more for a short amount of time.
and i wanna learn that secrect.:distrust:

*edit i just realised i put this in the wrong forum lol

Last edited:

Gabrelik

Almighty Maker of Sandwiches
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Networking seems to be key. If you know Let's Players, then yes, by all means, send them a copy and see if they will cover your game on Youtube. Honestly, many of them are happy to check it out even if you don't know them. Just drop them a copy, and politely ask them to give it a run.
You can then utilize that link to help spread the word. Social media can be your friend, especially with key tags on Twitter, Tumblr, etc. The indie hub is booming over there.

The community here is obviously a great start, as well. A Game Thread is an excellent way to allow the community early access to what you're doing, and get their feedback on things you need to tweak. Enlist some playtesters and give them a copy for helping out. If the game is good, they'll spread the word on their own.

Lot's of options, really, but if you're getting close to release ready, I'd start pounding the pavement. :D

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
If your game or its theme is niche, it'd get a lot of traction in certain forums and online communities like reddit, discord, etc. I'd put together a blog or website showcasing screenshots and videos to tempt apathetic people into giving it a shot. Don't just say "hey, I made this game, please give it a try!" Hype it up similar to a kickstarter webpage by demonstrating what your game offers rather than describing it with text.

Jhale M.

Goddess of health, purity and truth.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I've got a really cool idea for marketing a game (especially if you struggle to find a good place to post it). Itch.io is often considered weaker than Steam, but it is better in various ways. The most important thing about Itch.io is that you can enter and create game jams. If you can make small games, you could enter them into game jams (they have a huge variety) and that could attract a lot of the right people who are in communities where they could share that game for you. Additionally, game jams can have websites associated with them and you could find new communities that will allow you to advertise your game at great benefit.

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You got to put yourself out there. Make a few games, get a few followers, join game jams, get on discord, forums, Reddit etc. Word of mouth goes a long way. Here's the catch, the game has to be good too. All the games you listed are pretty good games, so when someone plays it and likes it, they tell 2 friends who tell 2 friends...

Itch and gamejolt and RPGMaker.net are all good places to start. Steam is oversaturated and does little to help Indies. Like with itch if you keep up a dev log and updates you get pushed more to the front pages.

YouTubers are good 2. Even small ones. It's all about exposure.

FluffexStudios

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Try to send a free copy of your game to a youtuber, here is a list of youtubers that you can send to: https://videogamecaster.com/big-list-of-youtubers#_=_

Also, I would recommend posting on reddit, gamedev, indiedb, indiedev, twitter, facebook, and other social media websites. I would say facebook gather most of the viewers for us.

Best of luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Brother made thumbnails for my Lets Plays. He's a swood dude.
Since I'm getting so busy (the fact that I'm often here is due to the fact that this is my procrastination #1 destination), I'm trying a new system where everyday I dedicate 30 minutes to my personal game project. That way it won't fall into the abyss.
In today's seminar:
Presenter: In the past, there was a saying, "One who has tuberculosis is doomed for life." But now-
Everyone: *starts coughing in unision*
Gosh... Today seems too much like a good day to do nothing....

I need to keep myself focused...! :kaoback:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bibopp